Ladies I want your opinion

Options
I have been working out since January, eating right drinking a lot of water and I havent lost a pound. I am on the depo shot and I know that it makes some gain weight, I havent gained i just cant lose it. I started insanity 5 weeks ago and I havent lost anything, even with Insanity. has anyone had this problem while on BC? and when you got off of it did you drop weight? I hate to get off my BC because I just dont want that chance of getting prego again, but if i have to I have to.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Do you own a food scale?
    Also you need to open your diary so we can see what you are eating.
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    have you measured yourself? I didn't lose any pounds doing Insanity but did majorly slim down
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but am on nothing as far as BCs go. not sure why I have lost NOTHING and workout everyday in the pool or on land and bike to work most days. I know the frustration but can't say if it is your depo or not..... I never had a weight problem when I was on BCPs either....
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 pounds in 3 months with my first depo shot. I got an iud instead. My sister in law stayed the same weight for years, overweight. She was finally able to start losing weight when she changed her BC method.

If you're exercising, drinking plenty of water, and making healthy food choices, I would think the depo is def the issue.

Good luck! I
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, you are NOT going to lose weight on Depo unless you are a "god" of sorts. That shot should be taken off the market. I know women who have gained 80 or more pounds while on that shot. It also causes bone loss. Your best bet is to switch to something else such as the pill or nuva ring. I was on both the pill and nuva ring in the past and had no issues. Now, I have my tubes tied so don't have to worry about the side effects. Do some research on the shot and consider going off it asap.
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    I would have the doc run a few tests including checking your hormone levels...
  • minivegrunner
    Options
    I'm on BC and struggling to loose weight. It IS coming off slowly for me at least though.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, you are NOT going to lose weight on Depo unless you are a "god" of sorts. That shot should be taken off the market. I know women who have gained 80 or more pounds while on that shot. It also causes bone loss. Your best bet is to switch to something else such as the pill or nuva ring. I was on both the pill and nuva ring in the past and had no issues. Now, I have my tubes tied so don't have to worry about the side effects. Do some research on the shot and consider going off it asap.

Agreed! That is really terrible stuff. I was on it and gained a ton of weight not to mention it did some really funky stuff to my head. I think it caused anxiety attacks! I really can't beleive doctors are still prescribing it. BE WARNED!
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I started Depo a couple years ago and gained about 15lbs. I've been on it ever since. I have lost 33lbs in three months... Like everything else, it just depends on you and your body. I've heard that a lot of women have trouble losing weight on it but once I told myself "I'm going to lose weight" I did. Questions like this are great to ask opinions on here but for real answers I would suggest talking to your doctor :)

Good Luck!
  • Shanz78
    Shanz78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I gained 40lbs in 3 months from my first depo shot. I continued to get the shot for a year. I've been off the depo for about 4 years and have been trying to lose that 40 lbs ever since. I've lost about 30 of it and have 10 to go. I would definitely think its the depo shot, I would never go back on that shot if someone paid me. I wish you good luck though.
  • SamanthaAkin
    Options
    Thank you ladies,, I am suppose to go in for my shot in Aug and im tempted to not get it and see what happens. just not sure what i will get, i know i dont want an IUD to many problems with it and its expensive to have put in and have taken out.
  • xMuscles
    xMuscles Posts: 24
    Options
    i would say go by measurements. i've gained weight from muscle and have leaned out a lot compared to before. but, something not right if you're not seeing a difference... calories could be too high or even too low
  • SamanthaAkin
    Options

Thats why i asked what you ladies thought. i would rather have someone honest than lie to me.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Again, I really want to wish you good luck. I had to go through the whole birth control thing when I went on Depo. There are so many options and it's really overwhelming. None of them are really good for you. I ended up doing Depo because I can't do any estrogen (MIGRAINES!!!) and it was hard. So anyway, good luck!
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    in my opinion......nevermind
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Try an IUD. They are wonderful.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Copper IUD!! Best decision ever.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Agreed! That is really terrible stuff. I was on it and gained a ton of weight not to mention it did some really funky stuff to my head. I think it caused anxiety attacks! I really can't beleive doctors are still prescribing it. BE WARNED!

According to this post I'm a god. I've lost weight and am still losing. I've been on Depo for going on 8 yrs now. I love it. I don't have to think about it, and I haven't gotten pregnant. All BC, and alot of other meds deplete calcuim. Everyone needs to have thier calcium and Vitamin D checked regularly.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Every person I know gained with that shot; speak with your doctor about your concerns and about other available options. I'm not sure how you feel about the pill but I take a very low dosage and I don't have any issues. I know women who have the IUD and those women don't have any issues. Anyway, that shot is brutal to body----and mind----my friends went through so emotional and physical problems because of the weight gain---and yeah these girls were working out all day and nothing happened. If your doctor is fine with other options---I say try another option----heck I believe my friends gained more weight with that shot than they would have gained with a pregnancy
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I was on the same shot and gained no weight and had no weight loss issues. if your doing insanity, have you checked to see if you have less body fat and more muscle???