25 ??? SUGAR!

Options
How does anyone stay under their sugar totals? I don't mind being under the fat totals and I don't mind going over the fibre totals, but SUGAR. Two oranges blows my totals... Should I ignore my sugar quota?

Replies

• Walshloesch
    Walshloesch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oranges are high in sugar....maybe eat just one?
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't added sugar, then yeah, ignore it. This comes up all the time; I asked it myself a while ago, because like you said, an orange or adding carrots to a salad can kill you some days. What I was told is as long as it is natural sugar, like from fruits and veggies, it is ok. If it is from hfcs or sugar that you add (like to coffee) then that counts, and to try and stay under on that.
  • Kevster75
    Options
    As Cytherea says...if it's natural from fruit then ignore it.

Always read labels and see what amount of the carbs are sugar carbs...
    A bottled 'fruit' drinks can have LOOOADS of sugar in it. Stick to water + the actual fruit instead :)
    Then, HFCS, as mentioned - avoid at all costs! lol

Good Luck :)
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    If its mostly from fruit ignore or even better switch it off in te esettings - my sugar is usually all gone after b'fast and 2 or 3 times over by the end of the day - if you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic ignore it.
    j
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I stopped looking at sugar totals. I track protein, carbs, fat, fiber and sodium. Those are the most important ones to watch. Sugar from fruit is OK, you don't want to over do it, but a piece of fruit or two will bring you over what MFP recommends. Just ignore it unless it is added sugar. Sugar from fruits and veggies is OK for almost everyone. Some people do like to limit that as well, but i've always allowed sugar from fruits.
  • akaDumbo
    Options
    I am a diabetic. I dont eat biscuits, cakes, puddings, processed food etc. and never add sugar to anything but I was going over everyday. I know that I am eating the right amount of fruit and veg so I dont need a red figure in my diary telling me I am wrong. My solution, I switched it off and chose something different to monitor. My columns are calories, carbs, protein, fat, saturated fat, and fibre (used to measure sodium but I was always way under so switched to fibre). Measuring your fat and saturated fat is especially important if you have diabetes as you are at much great risk of high cholesterol and heart problems, and it is very easy to go over on these if you lower your carbs
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    How does anyone stay under their sugar totals? I don't mind being under the fat totals and I don't mind going over the fibre totals, but SUGAR. Two oranges blows my totals... Should I ignore my sugar quota?

Exactly, two oranges take the sugar above 25, hence why I no longer track sugar, waste of time.

Oranges are good for me, I eat them, anyway I adore oranges, shame I haven't had any in the last few days though, I need to go shopping........
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Oranges are high in sugar....maybe eat just one?

Unfortunately, this still doesn't work, because sugar in foods for the rest of the day will still take it over.