What's your exercise routine?

Options
Hello !!

I was wondering what everyone's exercise routine is and what your progress has been following your routine? I usually exercise 60mins/day from M-Th and then take F-Sun off. I was working out 6 days a week w/ 1 rest day before but my body couldn't handle it. Is it better to have every other day off instead of working out consecutively? Does a rest day mean really not doing anything or can you do low impact exercises like walking?

Thank you for the advice !!

Replies

• JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Monday: Stronglifts 5x5
    Tuesday: Walk 4 miles
    Wednesday: Stronglifts 5x5, walk 6 miles
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Stronglifts 5x5, Jillian workout if I feel like it, or if I miss a walk day
    Sat and Sun: Rest

Last month I was doing Jillian's 30 day shred twice a day, 5 days a week. With that I lost 5 inches and %2 bodyfat. To me, a rest day generally means relaxing, however a walk around wouldnt hurt things either. I took a rest day every 3-4 days with that routine, didnt burn out. I think the every other day rest applies to intense workouts, like lifting heavy or HIIT. Something like Jillian's workouts shouldnt require an every other day rest.
  • AnnieBear80
    AnnieBear80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started a new routine this week, after mainly doing cardio:
    M,W and Friday - 45- 60min cardio and 30min strength training class
    Tuesdays I will be working with a PT
    Thursdays and weekends are rest days or just walking.

I'm so sore but feeling wonderful!
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump for later

I do two to five miles with a video by Leslie Sansone daily M-F (35 to 75 min long... avg 45 min) and add an hour of weights and calisthenics 2-3 days a week. Saturdays I do various activities with my husband (walking, hiking,etc.) for at least an hour and Sunday is my off day from everything :)

I have only lost 17 lbs so far in 180 days, but I have lost a lot more inches. I have lost an average of one inch a month off my waist and dropped two sizes. I lose an average of 1/4 of an inch every month on hips and thighs.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts - 3-4x a week.

Alternating Workout A - Squats, Bench, Rows + accessory work and Workout B - Squats, OHP, Deadlifts + accessory work.

Sometimes I run on my non-lifting days, sometimes I don't.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels. I will also do a quick stretch for about 10-15 minutes on the balance ball or with a quick yoga routine. Just to really stretch my body, not to build strength. It helps me sleep and wake up less sore. Although not today. I hurt. All over. Ouch. Everywhere.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Strength-wise, I make sure I hit every major compound lift every week, rotating which one's up first and receiving the benefit of a weekend of rest. This week it was back up first, next week it's deadlifts.

Cardio, I do one speed run, one longer slower run, and a couple days of intervals.

My work schedule is kinda crazy and all over the place, so I make sure I fit things in when I can
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Pure cardio with some strength while cycling. Try to cycle or mountain bike 5 times a week, 10-40 miles per ride.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    I do water aerobics every day....but there IS SOMETHING TO BE SAID FOR TAKING A REST....I think what you are doing is just fine. Our bodies need time to recoup what we have lost, and recover. If it's working for you, don't change a thing!

Janine Alfke
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Friday: Stronglifts 5x5, Jillian workout if I feel like it, or if I miss a walk day

Last month I was doing Jillian's 30 day shred twice a day, 5 days a week. With that I lost 5 inches and %2 bodyfat. To me, a rest day generally means relaxing, however a walk around wouldnt hurt things either. I took a rest day every 3-4 days with that routine, didnt burn out. I think the every other day rest applies to intense workouts, like lifting heavy or HIIT. Something like Jillian's workouts shouldnt require an every other day rest.

thank you for your input !!

btw what does 5x5 stronglift mean? sorry don't mean to sound stupid. i don't really incorporate lifting into my routine and would like to learn more :)
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    Bump for later

I do two to five miles with a video by Leslie Sansone daily M-F (35 to 75 min long... avg 45 min) and add an hour of weights and calisthenics 2-3 days a week. Saturdays I do various activities with my husband (walking, hiking,etc.) for at least an hour and Sunday is my off day from everything :)

I have only lost 17 lbs so far in 180 days, but I have lost a lot more inches. I have lost an average of one inch a month off my waist and dropped two sizes. I lose an average of 1/4 of an inch every month on hips and thighs.

wow, you've had amazing results !! maybe i should push myself to work out more than 4 days ... actually i have the time but i just feel so sore and achey !! but i guess no guts no glory :)
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    I just started a new routine this week, after mainly doing cardio:
    M,W and Friday - 45- 60min cardio and 30min strength training class
    Tuesdays I will be working with a PT
    Thursdays and weekends are rest days or just walking.

I'm so sore but feeling wonderful!

we pretty much have the same routine (other than the fact that i don't do strength training). does it help to have a trainer?
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels. I will also do a quick stretch for about 10-15 minutes on the balance ball or with a quick yoga routine. Just to really stretch my body, not to build strength. It helps me sleep and wake up less sore. Although not today. I hurt. All over. Ouch. Everywhere.

i have a love/hate relationship with Jillian !! i yell at the tv when i work out to her dvd's but have to admit i feel good afterwards :)
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options
    Pure cardio with some strength while cycling. Try to cycle or mountain bike 5 times a week, 10-40 miles per ride.

wow, 10-40 mi per ride ?!? amazing !! i''m proud of myself when i surpass 3 mi on the elliptical :) LOL
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I run three times per week and weights once per week.
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options

thank you so much !! i love research material :)
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options

thank you for your input !!

btw what does 5x5 stronglift mean? sorry don't mean to sound stupid. i don't really incorporate lifting into my routine and would like to learn more :)

If you hang around here long enough you'll realize your question isnt so stupid afterall. :P

Stronglifts 5x5 is a free heavy lifting program usually for beginners to get into because it's so simple, giving you the basics of weight lifting, yet still giving you results.

http://stronglifts.com/

As you see its geared towards men, but females on here have had success with it to.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'd like to go 7 days a week but as mentioned above, rest is part of the workout, recovery counts. I listen to what my body tells me and rest when I feel it, go harder when I feel it.
  • gigi_RN2013
    Options

If you hang around here long enough you'll realize your question isnt so stupid afterall. :P

Stronglifts 5x5 is a free heavy lifting program usually for beginners to get into because it's so simple, giving you the basics of weight lifting, yet still giving you results.

http://stronglifts.com/

As you see its geared towards men, but females on here have had success with it to.

thank you for sharing this site !! someone also gave me a link for a video that has info on strong lifts. I really have to look into this :)
  • tlmclennan
    tlmclennan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I play 60 min of tennis 4 times/week, 7.5km brisk walk 5 times/week, hill training 3 times/week, heavy lifting every other day, and curling for 2 hours once a week. I will always take one full day off of rest.