Avocado?

Options
MrsPeavley
MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
I am starting to try new fruits and veggies. I was wondering what you do with avocado or how you eat it? The only way I have ever eaten avocado is in guacamole. Also any tips on picking good fruit and veggies at the store?

Thanks

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I like eating them plain! Cut it up and put in on a salad, on a sandwich or wrap, some people make desserts out of it. Skinnytaste uses avocado all the time. She has a whole page dedicated to avocado recipes. Here you go. Get inspired! :happy:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Avocado Obsessed
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    my favorite is sliced or diced into salads. It is such a rich taste you are really satisfied.
  • knot2thin
    knot2thin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    tomato and avocado sandwich toasted of course. avocado in your smoothy any flavor delish.
  • Lutah7
    Lutah7 Posts: 45
    Options
    Same boat on avocado. As for fruits and veggies, by necessity they are refrigerated in the store but most suffer for it. Most fruit should finger dent. Melons....an Amish friend told me push your finger into the stem site, and smell it. It should smell a lot like melon and it should be fairly deeply dented in. Don't put tomatoes in the fridge.... They weep, they are far better at room temp, or from a window sill. And generally once you cut it, you need to eat it fairly quickly.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Guacomole is my main way to eat it. Really, is there any better way? on the side with a little salt is second or sliced up on salad.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    slice or dice it and add to a salad
    lightly sprinkly with salt and eat as is (or no salt at all)
    half an avocado, without the seed, and stuff with salmon tartar or mini shrimp

cool thing about avocado is that you eat it fresh, it doesn't have to be cooked or anything. super easy!
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    YOU TOTALLY MUST LOOK THIS UP AND TRY IT!!

Massaged Kale Salad.

There are lots of different versions but the basic one I use is as follows:

1 bunch curly kale (washed and torn into bite size pieces)
    The juice of 1 lemon
    1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
    1 avocado (just squish it out of peel into bowl)
    1-2 T olive oil
    1 large tomato (chopped)

Put the first 5 ingredient in a large bowl and literally massage them all together. Really get the avocado all squished and all over the kale.

Then add the tomato and mix with tong.

Eat and enjoy!

I also love adding red onion and pine nuts.

Best!
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also make scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese then top with salsa, sour cream and avocado...you could put this in a wrap too.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i eat it with egg whites just about every morning..either slathered on a arnold bread thin, or cut up on top of my eggs..with cheese and spinach.. yum!! Its good in salads.. (love it in salads) or heck, just eat it right out of the skin... try to limit it to 1/2 an avo a day though! :) its great as a sub for mayo on a sandwich in my opinion! YUM!
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yummy lots of great ideas!!! THANKS :happy:
  • gillismaxiumus
    gillismaxiumus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Avocado mixed with garlic hummus and add to tuna. Mmmm
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love avocado with just about anything- sandwiches,salads, etc. My favorite though is just sliced with seasoned salt and fresh lemon juice! So good!
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love avocado, whether it be in a simple guacamole, or simply salted. Just love it. my problem is I want sooo much when I get started.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As well as the above idea, I like to mash it up with some cottage cheese -- makes an awesome spread for wraps, tortillas or sandwiches, or use it as a dip! You can play with the ratio, I like about half an avocado to 100g cottage cheese :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    tomato and avocado sandwich toasted of course. avocado in your smoothy any flavor delish.

I love veggie sandwiches made with low fat cream cheese, avocado, tomatoes, and sprouts. I prefer sourdough bread, but the sandwich would be good with any fresh bread. Yum. My favored sandwich is not toasted, though. Yours also sounds interesting.
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    Mmmmm I love avocado! I usually eat them plain, but like others have said, diced up in a salad is yum-my, I like to toast some bread and put slices of avocado on it. I also like to make avocado and pepperjack grilled cheese sandwiches..if you add spinach, its WONDERFUL (saw that one on pinterest and had to try it lol).

Yumm..time to go slice one up real quick!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, I eat them plain, on a salad or sandwich, as guac, I have recently started mashing them for tuna or egg salad, just use avocado instead of mayo, works great and tastes better too.

Rigger
  • l0vedim0
    l0vedim0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Avocados are great in smoothies
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocado. It's seriously good on everything. Toast, crackers, wedges, pizza, pasta, salad.... everything!
  • AnnieBear80
    AnnieBear80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love using it as an alternative to butter or margarine in sandwiches. Yum.