100 pushups/200 squats/200 situps challenge

Options
Hi!

Haven't found any newer thread of those challenges - the last one about the pushups seems to have stopped a month ago. I want to start those programs beginning next week. Does anybody want to join me? Probably I'll do the workouts on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday since those are the days I go to the gym for my strength training anyway.

I'm pretty excited about the perspective to do 100 pushups, I never could do more than 5 in proper form I believe. I'll have to start with the girly pushups and work my way up to the real ones. I suppose I'll need at least a second round to achieve that. We'll see.

So, who wants to join me? Or, if there is a thread I have missed, I'd appreciate a link :smile:

Replies

• Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I'll join you, as i'm goiung to be running Monday, Wed, Fri :happy:
  • heyzoos
    Options
    I'll join you on the pushups and the squats. Situps are a bit of a waste of time IMHO. Bad for your back and don't really do much for you in the first place. If you want to change situps to plank times then I'm in! :)

http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1455.cfm
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How great, I'm not alone! :happy:

Heyzoos, if you go to the program's site (http://www.twohundredsitups.com/ ) you will see that they are actually talking about crunches there. At least that's what I call the thing I see on the photo and that is described in the text - crunches. Situps are outdated because of being unsafe, aren't they? I guess I haven't done or seen situps since my childhood. Maybe you are more comfortable with crunches?

I have no idea what planks are (I'm german and didn't find the word in the online dictionary) but I'll do the crunches a little different than described on the site anyway, because at my gym they teach them different (you have to put your chin upon your chest and look through between your knees when you come up).

I' doing C25K as well, but I only completed week 2 yesterday :smile:
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I may join... Been thinking of doing this for a bit now.
  • Kevster75
    Options
    Yeah I'm up for this... ;)

Plank - Explained: http://www.5min.com/Video/Core-Training-Plank-Series-10-270541524
  • MrsHazra
    MrsHazra Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I may join.. Planks I cant hold for 3 seconds so that will def be a challenge but worth a try..
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I may join.. Planks I cant hold for 3 seconds so that will def be a challenge but worth a try..

I HATED planks when I first started going to the gym. When I joined the gym I also hired the trainer otherwise I would have been lost. I started out barely making it to 10 seconds before I was so shaky i collapsed. But the trainer had patience and persistance. He would make me do them for a full minute- even if it was only 10 seconds at a time. I have been doing them for months and always include them in my core workouts. I can hold for a minute with minimal trouble (after my third set of a minute I struggle through the last 20 seconds or so). I also do them on my sides. To make it harder now I elevate my feet and hold. He also has me elevate my feet and then take 1 foot off and touch the floor alternating sides. He seems to always have some new variation of the plank!

You'll get there! I did! Believe me I really really really hated doing them. I felt like it was something I would never be able to do but sure enough, here I am writing words of encouragement to you. Start out doing what you can. If its 3 seconds at a time then its 3 seconds at a time. But keep getting up until you hit a total of 1 minute. You'll build your core muscles really well. :smile:
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Peanut1967: How long will this challenge last?
  • peanut1967
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Kevster75. What's the benefit of doing planks? To me they look just like a pushup variation. Do they do anything for your abs, too? I guess I'll stick with the crunches, maybe I'll do planks afterwards :smile:

@crooker
    You can find the 100 pushup program here:

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

On the left of that site you find the links to the 200 squats and the 200 situps (or crunches) program. All three consist of 6 weeks, so if we start next week we'll be done about Ocober 24. :smile:

I'll do my initial tests on Sunday and post the results, although they will be pretty embarrassing I think :laugh:
    My first workout is on Tuesday next week.
  • heyzoos
    Options
    I am by no means a fitness expert, but IMHO planks are a great all round isometric exercise for core stabilisation (key word is stabilisation) and particularly it targets muscle endurance (depending on your level this may come later, strength will be targeted first if you have a weak core). The point of having a strong core is to protect your spine, by keeping it in a neutral position (or stabilising), when performing day to day and athletic activities. It's important to note, that doing any core strengthening exercise does not magically protect your spine, in of itself. You also need to maintain a good (or workable) posture. Strength in your core can help tuck in your hips (neutral spine) and help move your back into alignment, but this requires you to consciously make this effort.

Crunches are bad because they compress your spine (no matter what technique you use) and can lead to disc herniation. They are also pointless because exactly when in your regular or athletic life are you required to lean forward in that manner (If you are bending forward all the time then you need to change your ways, because it is causing your back unnecessary stress. Use a half squat or lunge to pick up things.)? It also entirely misses the point of what your core muscles primary function is, which is to protect your spine in the first place!

Read this article for more technical information.

http://www.tricoretherapy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110:are-crunches-and-back-extensions-breaking-your-spine&catid=46:training-articles&Itemid=86
  • peanut1967
    Options
    Thanks for the information! I'm a bit confused - I was told at may gym to do crunches (not that many of course), so obviously not all the experts agree on this?
    It's clear to me why I'm not attracted to planks - it's probably instinct. :laugh: My core is weak, I find most core exercises hard and painful. Maybe I'll start planks after finishing the crunches.

They are also pointless because exactly when in your regular or athletic life are you required to lean forward in that manner (If you are bending forward all the time then you need to change your ways, because it is causing your back unnecessary stress. Use a half squat or lunge to pick up things.)? !

OK, that seems logical at first sight, but on the other hand I don't ever need pushups or planks in my regular or athletic life - or yoga poses :wink:
  • heyzoos
    Options
    OK, that seems logical at first sight, but on the other hand I don't ever need pushups or planks in my regular or athletic life - or yoga poses :wink:

True... but... it's all about context. Crunches target a very specific set of core muscles (particularly the rectus abdominis) , whilst the planks targets pretty much all your core muscles, including your hip and back and is a much more useful integrated exercise for practising keeping your spine neutral and core stabilised (which is the entire point in doing any core exercise). A crunch is not a core stabilisation exercise it is a isolated strengthening exercise for a limited set of muscles and ensures that you become better at leaning forward (not something you should be doing to your spine long term).

Ultimately planks are the stepping stone to more integrated and upright core exercises (I have used resistance band training in the past, and intend to again when I get my isometric strength back).

Sorry if any of this seems like a lecture. I can get a bit carried away. I am speaking from my own experience (1000s of crunches later, using "correct" technique and a sore spine!)
  • peanut1967
    Options
    ok, i've done some internet research (heck, there really is a LOT to learn about strength training ) and opinions seem to differ on this topic. One thing I read a lot is this: crunches/situps are an isolate ab training, it is better and more effective to work those muscles in a complex exercise where the large muscles are involved (like pullups and heavy squats with a barbell). Hardly anyone seems to agree to the opinion crunches were dangerous (the main argument being that crunches can't exert strong forces to the spine ).
    So, apparently a lot of experts consider crunches as pointless but harmless.

Oh, and one person with a lot of personal experience stated in a forum that only really well trained persons can do about 30 crunches (as one set) in proper form, everything beyond is mainly training the hip flexors. Besides, this is more or less what my gym instructor told me (who I think is very competent)
    I don't have a barbell and my current training plan at the gym doesn't include free weights, I'll have to wait with this.

Now what do I do about the crunches? I have no idea :frown:

heyzoos, how exactly do you plan to do the planks? Maybe I could just try it out :smile:
  • heyzoos
    Options
    Well. I think you should aim to get your plank time to 1 minute. At that point you should have a good base to progress to more challenging exercises. You should also do side planks.

How to do a plank:

Start by lying face down on the ground or use an exercise mat. Place your elbows and forearms underneath your chest.
    Prop yourself up to form a bridge using your toes and forearms
    Maintain a flat back and do not allow your hips to sag towards the ground.

The key to keeping good form is to keep a straight line and tuck in your hips so that your lower back is not sagging. As soon as you feel your lower back sagging, STOP! Have a rest and then continue until you get up to one minute total. Repeat the next day... and then next...until you can do 1 minute without losing form.

At no point ever should you experience back pain! If you are getting pain straight away, then you might need to look at building up to a full plank, by starting at your knees. Just do the same thing as above, but instead of using your toes as the base, use your knees and hold for as long as possible.

This might help you with form:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The_Plank_Exercise

http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/plank.html

Once you can do regular and side planks for one minute with just your body weight, you are ready to progress to more advanced trunk exercises. Like this:

http://askdaveschmitz.com/tag/ab-band-workouts

Check out the last video on the page.
  • heyzoos
    Options
    Pushups: 14
    Squats: 73

Also:

Pullups: 2
    Plank Time: 1:16 minutes
    Left Side Plank: 36 seconds
    Right Side Plank: 42 seconds
  • sara_cogumelo
    Options
    I'll join you for the push up challenge. I just did the initial test and could only do 9 push ups with good form. I was a bit tired, but still, I thought I could do more...
    Can already do the 200 squats, and I'll pass the crunches. Will think about the plank, though :wink:
    I'll start tomorrow, will probably do the workouts mon/wed/fri.
  • rosaline1191
    rosaline1191 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you. I am starting tonight and I'm doing Pushups/Squats on Sunday - Tuesday - Thursday, Situps/Plank sets on Monday - Wednesday - Friday.
  • peanut1967
    Options
    Hi, I'm sorry I didn't stop by during the last days, but I just underestimated some things I had to do during the last days. Actually I wasn't able work out regularly, but things are back to normal now, but in this week I'll just try to return to my normal workout routine. Thus, I'll start this challenge one week later than exepected (on Tuesday next week).

Heyzoos, great start! Stick with it - I will join you soon :smile:
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    sounds fun... I'm in!!