What's your exercise routine?

Hello !!

I was wondering what everyone's exercise routine is and what your progress has been following your routine? I usually exercise 60mins/day from M-Th and then take F-Sun off. I was working out 6 days a week w/ 1 rest day before but my body couldn't handle it. Is it better to have every other day off instead of working out consecutively? Does a rest day mean really not doing anything or can you do low impact exercises like walking?

Thank you for the advice !!

Replies

• JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Monday: Stronglifts 5x5
    Tuesday: Walk 4 miles
    Wednesday: Stronglifts 5x5, walk 6 miles
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Stronglifts 5x5, Jillian workout if I feel like it, or if I miss a walk day
    Sat and Sun: Rest

Last month I was doing Jillian's 30 day shred twice a day, 5 days a week. With that I lost 5 inches and %2 bodyfat. To me, a rest day generally means relaxing, however a walk around wouldnt hurt things either. I took a rest day every 3-4 days with that routine, didnt burn out. I think the every other day rest applies to intense workouts, like lifting heavy or HIIT. Something like Jillian's workouts shouldnt require an every other day rest.
  • AnnieBear80
    AnnieBear80 Posts: 20 Member
    I just started a new routine this week, after mainly doing cardio:
    M,W and Friday - 45- 60min cardio and 30min strength training class
    Tuesdays I will be working with a PT
    Thursdays and weekends are rest days or just walking.

I'm so sore but feeling wonderful!
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Bump for later

I do two to five miles with a video by Leslie Sansone daily M-F (35 to 75 min long... avg 45 min) and add an hour of weights and calisthenics 2-3 days a week. Saturdays I do various activities with my husband (walking, hiking,etc.) for at least an hour and Sunday is my off day from everything :)

I have only lost 17 lbs so far in 180 days, but I have lost a lot more inches. I have lost an average of one inch a month off my waist and dropped two sizes. I lose an average of 1/4 of an inch every month on hips and thighs.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Stronglifts - 3-4x a week.

Alternating Workout A - Squats, Bench, Rows + accessory work and Workout B - Squats, OHP, Deadlifts + accessory work.

Sometimes I run on my non-lifting days, sometimes I don't.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels. I will also do a quick stretch for about 10-15 minutes on the balance ball or with a quick yoga routine. Just to really stretch my body, not to build strength. It helps me sleep and wake up less sore. Although not today. I hurt. All over. Ouch. Everywhere.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Strength-wise, I make sure I hit every major compound lift every week, rotating which one's up first and receiving the benefit of a weekend of rest. This week it was back up first, next week it's deadlifts.

Cardio, I do one speed run, one longer slower run, and a couple days of intervals.

My work schedule is kinda crazy and all over the place, so I make sure I fit things in when I can
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Pure cardio with some strength while cycling. Try to cycle or mountain bike 5 times a week, 10-40 miles per ride.
  • I do water aerobics every day....but there IS SOMETHING TO BE SAID FOR TAKING A REST....I think what you are doing is just fine. Our bodies need time to recoup what we have lost, and recover. If it's working for you, don't change a thing!

Janine Alfke
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Friday: Stronglifts 5x5, Jillian workout if I feel like it, or if I miss a walk day

Last month I was doing Jillian's 30 day shred twice a day, 5 days a week. With that I lost 5 inches and %2 bodyfat. To me, a rest day generally means relaxing, however a walk around wouldnt hurt things either. I took a rest day every 3-4 days with that routine, didnt burn out. I think the every other day rest applies to intense workouts, like lifting heavy or HIIT. Something like Jillian's workouts shouldnt require an every other day rest.

thank you for your input !!

btw what does 5x5 stronglift mean? sorry don't mean to sound stupid. i don't really incorporate lifting into my routine and would like to learn more :)
  • gigi_RN2013
    Bump for later

I do two to five miles with a video by Leslie Sansone daily M-F (35 to 75 min long... avg 45 min) and add an hour of weights and calisthenics 2-3 days a week. Saturdays I do various activities with my husband (walking, hiking,etc.) for at least an hour and Sunday is my off day from everything :)

I have only lost 17 lbs so far in 180 days, but I have lost a lot more inches. I have lost an average of one inch a month off my waist and dropped two sizes. I lose an average of 1/4 of an inch every month on hips and thighs.

wow, you've had amazing results !! maybe i should push myself to work out more than 4 days ... actually i have the time but i just feel so sore and achey !! but i guess no guts no glory :)
  • gigi_RN2013
    I just started a new routine this week, after mainly doing cardio:
    M,W and Friday - 45- 60min cardio and 30min strength training class
    Tuesdays I will be working with a PT
    Thursdays and weekends are rest days or just walking.

I'm so sore but feeling wonderful!

we pretty much have the same routine (other than the fact that i don't do strength training). does it help to have a trainer?
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
  • gigi_RN2013
    Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels. I will also do a quick stretch for about 10-15 minutes on the balance ball or with a quick yoga routine. Just to really stretch my body, not to build strength. It helps me sleep and wake up less sore. Although not today. I hurt. All over. Ouch. Everywhere.

i have a love/hate relationship with Jillian !! i yell at the tv when i work out to her dvd's but have to admit i feel good afterwards :)
  • gigi_RN2013
    Pure cardio with some strength while cycling. Try to cycle or mountain bike 5 times a week, 10-40 miles per ride.

wow, 10-40 mi per ride ?!? amazing !! i''m proud of myself when i surpass 3 mi on the elliptical :) LOL
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member
    I run three times per week and weights once per week.
  • gigi_RN2013

thank you so much !! i love research material :)
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member

thank you for your input !!

btw what does 5x5 stronglift mean? sorry don't mean to sound stupid. i don't really incorporate lifting into my routine and would like to learn more :)

If you hang around here long enough you'll realize your question isnt so stupid afterall. :P

Stronglifts 5x5 is a free heavy lifting program usually for beginners to get into because it's so simple, giving you the basics of weight lifting, yet still giving you results.

http://stronglifts.com/

As you see its geared towards men, but females on here have had success with it to.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    I'd like to go 7 days a week but as mentioned above, rest is part of the workout, recovery counts. I listen to what my body tells me and rest when I feel it, go harder when I feel it.
  • gigi_RN2013

If you hang around here long enough you'll realize your question isnt so stupid afterall. :P

Stronglifts 5x5 is a free heavy lifting program usually for beginners to get into because it's so simple, giving you the basics of weight lifting, yet still giving you results.

http://stronglifts.com/

As you see its geared towards men, but females on here have had success with it to.

thank you for sharing this site !! someone also gave me a link for a video that has info on strong lifts. I really have to look into this :)
  • tlmclennan
    tlmclennan Posts: 26 Member
    I play 60 min of tennis 4 times/week, 7.5km brisk walk 5 times/week, hill training 3 times/week, heavy lifting every other day, and curling for 2 hours once a week. I will always take one full day off of rest.
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Bump for later

wow, you've had amazing results !! maybe i should push myself to work out more than 4 days ... actually i have the time but i just feel so sore and achey !! but i guess no guts no glory :)

TY! I actually think my progress is slow compared to most others, but I have an "uphill battle" as my doctor lovingly puts it because of a couple of medical conditions I have. I eat a low carb/low sodium diet and drink 9+ cups of water daily too but do not deprive myself either. About being sore, I know what you mean! I am sore all the time (part from working out / mostly from Lupus). I do what I do because it works for me.

Everyone is different so do what works for you! Keep doing what you are doing if you like it., just continue to be consistent. Challenge, set and work up to fitness goals at your own pace. Never push yourself so hard you hurt yourself. It only puts you behind further because you will most likely have to nurse a hurt body. Keep up the good work :)
  • gigi_RN2013
    I play 60 min of tennis 4 times/week, 7.5km brisk walk 5 times/week, hill training 3 times/week, heavy lifting every other day, and curling for 2 hours once a week. I will always take one full day off of rest.

you're a busy lady !! is 1 day of rest sufficient enough for you or do you workout despite the pain/soreness ?!?
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    I work out 6 days a week, Sunday to Fri. I do the p90x workout, modified, meaning I don't follow their plan. and also do about 20-30 min on the elliptical.

I say it works so far LOL, lost a lil over 60 lbs in 6 months.

Dieting was a huge thing, cut down calorie intake to 1600 a day, high protein, low carbs.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    i do Mon - sat usually sunday off
    M- walk with bubs 45-60 min
    T- 30 day shred
    W- HIIT with bubs in the stroller usually 1min on 1min of running then walking, will do this for about 45min
    Th- 30 day shred
    Fr- Walk with bubs 45- 60min
    Sat- 30 day shred or HIIT or walk depends what i feel like.
    Sun- day off

Im away from my gym room lol so i have to what i can do" back at home i have my weights/ tredmill, kettlebells, steps, various dvds, im gunna join a gym when we finish travelling oh i can not wait!!! i
  • tlmclennan
    tlmclennan Posts: 26 Member
    One day is enough for me. I'm one of those sickos who enjoys the soreness feeling. I love games like tennis and curling because it's fun and doesn't really feel like a workout to me even though it is. I've just started lifting in the last two weeks and am hoping to see some good results from that.
  • gigi_RN2013
    I work out 6 days a week, Sunday to Fri. I do the p90x workout, modified, meaning I don't follow their plan. and also do about 20-30 min on the elliptical.

I say it works so far LOL, lost a lil over 60 lbs in 6 months.

Dieting was a huge thing, cut down calorie intake to 1600 a day, high protein, low carbs.

congrats on you're loss !! you're my hero :) see, i used to work out 6 days as well but i couldn't keep it up. thank you for the advice !!
    i'm also thinking of doing a fitness program (Insanity) and i think that's 6 days a week. not sure if i'll be able to keep up :ohwell:
  • gigi_RN2013
    i do Mon - sat usually sunday off
    M- walk with bubs 45-60 min
    T- 30 day shred
    W- HIIT with bubs in the stroller usually 1min on 1min of running then walking, will do this for about 45min
    Th- 30 day shred
    Fr- Walk with bubs 45- 60min
    Sat- 30 day shred or HIIT or walk depends what i feel like.
    Sun- day off

Im away from my gym room lol so i have to what i can do" back at home i have my weights/ tredmill, kettlebells, steps, various dvds, im gunna join a gym when we finish travelling oh i can not wait!!! i

you're baby is so cute !! i'm seeing a lot of people doing 6 day workouts. i feel like a wimp LOL !! maybe i should try and see if i can work myself back to exercising 6 days ...

btw, you're a trooper with the 30DS !!
  • gigi_RN2013
    One day is enough for me. I'm one of those sickos who enjoys the soreness feeling. I love games like tennis and curling because it's fun and doesn't really feel like a workout to me even though it is. I've just started lifting in the last two weeks and am hoping to see some good results from that.

do you have a trainer who helps you with your lifting? what's your strategy? i would really like to add this to my routine.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 644 Member
    I do ashtanga yoga 6 days a week (S-F, Saturdays are traditionally off) so that's about 75 minutes of practice a day on avergae (I don't always do full practice) and in addition I run 3-4 days per week. Right now I run 2 days in a row and then rest so eg. run T+W and again F+S. Runs vary in lenghth form about 7 to 12 K.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Monday- Boxfit
    Tuesday- 30DS (atm), once i've done the 30ds this will be a rest day
    Wednesday- Kickboxing
    Thursday- Running bootcamp
    Friday- 30DS or Run
    Saturday- Spin, 30DS or run
    Sunday- 30DS (atm), once i've done the 30ds this will be a rest day or running or general gym if I have missed something during the week

I also try to get weight lifting in every day I can (and remember), usually about 3-4 days a week