Anyone on nights?

Options
I work nights, looking for friends to share experiences and challenges with while on a night shift. I am on 12 hour rotations.

Replies

• 86toronado
    86toronado Posts: 19
    Options
    I am!! 12 hour nights too. Are you a nurse?
    I'm always on here in the middle of the night, it's nice to have someone to talk to at that time...:smooched: :smile:
  • AngieTrullinger
    Options
    I am currently a 911 dispatcher. I am going to school and declared my major for nursing but not sure if I want to go that route yet. I have years to figure it out at the rate I am going.
  • kzakian
    kzakian Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im on at nights because I have terrible sleeping habits. Nice to meet you :)
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    3rd shift 911 dispatcher here also! Represent!
  • AngieTrullinger
    Options
    I also have bad sleeping habits, sometimes I think I hibernate if I work overtime and get off because my first day off is wasted on sleep.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have worked 3rd shifts for most of the past 3 years- taken a little break lately but I'm a newly graduated Registered Respiratory Therapist and will probably/hopefully be going back to working nights. I actually enjoy it and adjusted to it quite well.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    Thankfully, my place of employment doesn't do 12 hour shifts. We're 8 hours, with a lot of chances to get forced OT with little or no notice, though.

How do your 12 hour shifts work? Do you get a good amount of days off for your weekend?
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Half my week is days the other half 12 hour nights, switching off on the intermediate fasting is a pain.
  • 86toronado
    86toronado Posts: 19
    Options
    I love my 12 hour shifts! I only have to work three nights a week this way, and end up getting 4 days in a row off every other weekend. That does wreck havoc on my diet, though. I actually find that I am more disciplined on the days that I work, because I have to have a plan, or I end up going hours without eating! But on my days off, morning becomes night, and vice-versa, making it hard to stick to any kind of a plan.
    That's why I've been doing low (ish) carb. I don't have to plan that well :)
  • maritz9565
    Options
    i work nights too
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    That's the reason I maintain my 3rd shift hours on my days off. Though, I can see that being difficult on 12 hour days and especially with 4 days off in between. That sounds rough!
  • magrieve78
    magrieve78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    911 dispatcher here, too. I work a 10 day rotating shift. 2 of each shift, then 4 days off, repeat. Makes exercise routine a littlev tricky at times. But i'm determined, so i make it happen. 3rd shift munchies are the worst part. Always have to save sacaloriessome calories and pack lots of fruit!
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    911 dispatcher here, too. I work a 10 day rotating shift. 2 of each shift, then 4 days off, repeat. Makes exercise routine a littlev tricky at times. But i'm determined, so i make it happen. 3rd shift munchies are the worst part. Always have to save sacaloriessome calories and pack lots of fruit!

That sounds like the worst shift EVER.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    I love my 12 hour shifts! I only have to work three nights a week this way, and end up getting 4 days in a row off every other weekend. That does wreck havoc on my diet, though. I actually find that I am more disciplined on the days that I work, because I have to have a plan, or I end up going hours without eating! But on my days off, morning becomes night, and vice-versa, making it hard to stick to any kind of a plan.
    That's why I've been doing low (ish) carb. I don't have to plan that well :)

Another question: how do you make up those extra 4 hours? That's only 36 hours per week. Or do they just only pay you for the 36 hours? My agency was considering doing this.
  • SCouture421
    Options
    I'm nights!!
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm emergency dispatch for state highway and have worked overnights for the better part of the past 17 years. I work 10pm-6am Sunday-Thursday. I don't know how any of y'all do the rotating swing shifts that y'all do.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    10-6am here. Boring most of the time.

Tonight I built a tower out of bic pens... yep, mommy is proud of her little boy! (Side note, the tower was about a foot and a half tall... rather impressed really)
  • ghardwick84
    Options
    I work the night shift at a hotel.
  • christyb77
    christyb77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nights here! 2330-0730 Industrial EMT................ I have horrible sleeping habits, when I am off i wanna eat EVERYTHING! I don't rest good. I am REALLY wanting to get my nursing but how do you find the time working this shift?
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    You're right, Christy. It is SO hard to stay on track on this shift.