shoes off or on in the house?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As an American when i was growing up it was normal to wear shoes in the house. in my 20's i had a roommate from Asia who asked if we could take our shoes off in the apartment. it didnt take long to see the benefits.

so all you dirty Americans who are still tracking dirt around your house. stop it! :D

and dont give me the "i wipe them on a mat" or something similar. that only takes care of so much.

so where do you live and what do you do with your shoes?

USA/off
    I've lived in the USA my entire life and I have known very few people who wore shoes around the house. Most of my family and friends' parents required that people remove their shoes at the door.

This isn't an "American" thing, though I know some Americans do prefer to keep their shoes on.

I take mine off every chance I get. I don't even wear them at work unless I have to walk far from my desk.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    UK - shoes off!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Barefoot biches all over the place :P

Shoes off at me
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    Shoes off over in my house. Unless I am doing zumba in my living room then my training trainers go on
  • orczombie
    orczombie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Off. This goes for close friend's homes, too, unless we're about to leave. In my experience, there aren't many people who leave their shoes on while inside.
  • Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I wear them into the house, but usually take him off within a minute

^^^This

South Africa/off
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canton, Ohio originally. I didn't even put shoes on when I went outside. My mom wanted me to, but I would be gone before she noticed. The habit has translated in my adulthood as only wearing shoes when I have to. I take them off as SOON as I enter my house or anyone's house and don't put them on again until I have to go somewhere public. And even then I try to pick shoes that are easily slipped on and off and feel as light as possible.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    As an American I spent all my life as shoes on until I spent an expat year in India where shoes off was non-negotiable. I mean each and every time I went into someone's house they would ask me to take my shoes off. Now that I'm back in the US I've held onto that custom. It seems to make sense to me.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    As an American when i was growing up it was normal to wear shoes in the house. in my 20's i had a roommate from Asia who asked if we could take our shoes off in the apartment. it didnt take long to see the benefits.

so all you dirty Americans who are still tracking dirt around your house. stop it! :D

and dont give me the "i wipe them on a mat" or something similar. that only takes care of so much.

USA/off
    I've lived in the USA my entire life and I have known very few people who wore shoes around the house. Most of my family and friends' parents required that people remove their shoes at the door.

This isn't an "American" thing, though I know some Americans do prefer to keep their shoes on.

I take mine off every chance I get. I don't even wear them at work unless I have to walk far from my desk.
    I love you!!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK. There's nothing over here to say whether or not you take your shoes off or not - it's a matter of preference I guess. In my household, we take our shoes off - mainly because we have carpets. A lot of people I know have vinyl flooring, wood or stone and they tend to tell their guests to keep their shoes on - probably because the flooring gets very cold and dirty!
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have lived on 3 continents, shoes = always off. Everyone has to take them off in my house. if you come for a visit slippers or at least socks. I mostly wear socks in the house.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Off, definitely. I even had to put a sign up when new carpeting was installed, mostly for my husband's benefit. He considers it too much trouble because he's in and out constantly. I still have trouble with the infidel. :bigsmile:
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Always off in the house... drives me nuts wearing shoes indoors. When I can do without them, they're off outside as well.
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    I live in USA. shoes are always off. they go on a matt by the door. I also trim my dogs hair on the bottom of her feet so she doesn't track dirt. My bf is another story he has to strip when he walks in because after work he is covered in dirt.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I grew up in North Africa. I now live in the US. I have to wear shoes most of the time due to an injury. However, we have wood floors and a wonderful robotica floor cleaner. But, my extremely beautiful wife and Jesse Dog rarely wear shoes. To compensate, I go commando.

And right on for those of you who posted, "This isn't an American thing"...

Call 867-5309 and ask for Jenny.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ontario, canada. Shoes off. all the time.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I prefer off, but my family doesn't take them off.

Hubbs and I both wear boots that are a ***** to get off, and my f-i-l prefers wearing shoes.

I'm working on making an entry way that will make it easy to take our shoes off, so there won't be more on in the house. =)
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    We live in the US

Me? ----> off, socks only (how else can I skate across wood floors?)
    24 year old daughter
    > off, bare feet
    Husband
    > socks, sometimes shoes (AKA Mr. Did I Track That In?)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

USA/off

I love you!!
    How YOU doin'?
  • TRW012448
    TRW012448 Posts: 8
    Options
    USA...................shoes and whenever possible, clothes.........OFF