PCOS, Lifting Weights & Testosterone

Options
OK, so im hoping that one of you will be able to assist me here! I have been reading lots of posts about the benefits of weight lifting and am really keen to get started. I've come across a few articles that mention that men are able to bulk up due to testosterone and my concern is that i have high testosterone levels due to the PCOS and i really don't want to look like a man!

Any PCOS sufferers out there that can shed some light on this?

Replies

• Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I hae PCOS and lift like I beast. I am pretty muscular but don't think I look "bulky". You decided.. my profile picture is from Wednesday.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    One side effect of PCOS is higher than normal testosterone, yes, not it should still be pretty low compared to a man's. I obviously haven't seen your labs, but my guess is you have enough to help you get some great results, but not enough to turn you in Ahhh-nold.

If you're super worried about it, just keep an eye on your measurements. You won't grow 5 inches around overnight, so you could always stop adding weight if you found yourself expanding too much for your liking.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    my husband was diagnosed with extreme low testosterone. i have PCOS. my test. level was actually higher than his was.
    my husband started on treatment and now his level is just now getting up to what a normal man's should be (he takes injections every week) , and now he is bulking-up from lifting weights. even with my high PCOS testosterone, i have been lifting for 2 years and i definitely did not bulk-up. i have nice tone, but no bulk.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. I'm not concerned at all about becoming bulky, but the hormonal effects. My skin breaking out, growing unwanted hair on my face, chest, etc... Those seem to be my worst symptoms of PCOS.
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    I have PCOS, and definitely do not bulk up from strength training. It can actually help w/ PCOS by improving insulin resistance.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of chest hair, or need to shave your beard often?

If not, you don't have testosterone levels high enough to worry.

Carry on.
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    You look awesome, what program do you follow?
  • dbmata
    Options
    I hae PCOS and lift like I beast. I am pretty muscular but don't think I look "bulky". You decided.. my profile picture is from Wednesday.

It's very nice.
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    I have the facial hair! Wax weekly and tweeze daily:grumble:

Now should i worry?
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Carry on.

Urm some women with PCOS do have these symptoms. Don't be so flippant.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I lift. I haven't bulked up and in fact, my weight loss stalled until I started lifting...
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and just about all the negative side effects from it. I lift heavy. It has NOT made me bulky. It's had the opposite effect; things are tighter and look thinner.

Don't be afraid. Lift all the weights!
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I do build muscle faster than I lose weight, when I start, but I have never "bulked" up at all. I used to be worried about the same thing, but it's really nothing to fear.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Men have about 10x more Testosterone than women do. I highly doubt your levels with PCOS are even close to being that high. If you're in doubt, have it checked. That will answer your question.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Check out Molly Galbraith, she is an awesome badass blogger, trainer, and lifter - and she has PCOS.
    http://mollygalbraith.com/
  • tbsugacookie
    tbsugacookie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was told I had PCOS about ten years ago. After doing a little bit of research, I saw that following a low carb diet sometimes helps. I tried it, and all traces of the cysts and my symptoms disappeared. Now I eat a more "balanced" diet, but haven't had any trouble (I've had a couple of different doctors since then, and none of them has mentioned PCOS).

I do notice when I lift heavy that my muscles will be "pumped" for an hour or so, but they always return to normal and I end up more toned, which is really the point, so I really wouldn't worry about bulking. You'll be fine!! Good luck! :smile:
  • dbmata
    Options

Carry on.

Urm, you do realize that without taking an injectable t stack you won't "bulk out"?

I don't mean cute asian rockstar chest hair. I mean greek dude on a beach in speedos.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have the facial hair! Wax weekly and tweeze daily:grumble:

Now should i worry?

not at all. You'll be fine, we have a lot more and produce a lot more than you are capable of without significant aid, like daily injections and a well heeled bank account.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Carry on.

Urm, you do realize that without taking an injectable t stack you won't "bulk out"?

I don't mean cute asian rockstar chest hair. I mean greek dude on a beach in speedos.

I wasn't talking about the testosterone I mean talking about a condition that you clearly don't have any idea about otherwise you wouldn't make those remarks since some women DO have it that bad. Please be more sensitive.