Best surface to run on: asphalt vs grass vs sand

Options
Is this true: Running on grass is better for your joints then running on asphalt. Running on soft sand (that you sink 5-10 cm in each step) is better then running on grass.

Or: the softer the ground, the less you wear your body by running (but also the more effort it takes to run on it).

Just want to check my assumptions here. I don't mind putting more effort in running, but I do mind if I damage my body. I try to avoid running on asphalt/concrete as much as possible. Let me know what you think and what surface you prefer! Thanks!

Replies

• smartell2bys
    smartell2bys Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump ...kinda curious what everyone says.
    I run on asphalt as much as i can sand and dirt hurt my knees.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think if youre healthy & run with proper form it doesnt matter much what surface you run on. I jump from the sidewalk to the road and back depending which is cleaner and has the best surface.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've known many people that say softer surfaces like treadmills or trails are easier on your joints than pavement. I've never seen anything scientifically done that proves this.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    No scientific reasoning here but running in sand always kicks my butt. It's a lot harder for me and I don't enjoy it. I prefer a solid ground where I have a less likely chance of twisting something. I've never really noticed a difference on certain surfaces. My shoes are what make the most difference.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I know that sand is much more difficult to run on, since you have to expend a lot of energy just dealing with the sand itself (you sink, have to pull feet out, etc).

As far as grass vs asphalt, I think the grass may be slightly less impact, and so in theory better for your joints, but it is also a lot less even. You are at much greater risk for a twisted ankle (or knee), a fall, etc, from running on uneven grass. I generally run on the road (I live in a low traffic neighborhood, run against traffic, but stay on the shoulder) or a paved trail.

Running shoes are much more important. The proper pair of shoes will reduce wear and tear on your joints, as well as your feet. Get fitted properly at a running store - I wear size 6 in everyday wear, but my running shoes are an 8. They are more expensive (I spent about $100 - more than on any pair of shoes, even my fancy ones!) but it's worth it!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Soft wet sand is the best.... Because it would be on the beach next to the ocean.

Let me illustrate

thumbbig-156781.jpg

0_05564900_1291341100_img-500x313.jpg

Beach, you can run barefoot and in a bikini. Roads, you have to deal with snow, shoes, etc.

So to sum up, I'd rather be running on a beach.

gordito.jpg
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Is this true: Running on grass is better for your joints then running on asphalt. Running on soft sand (that you sink 5-10 cm in each step) is better then running on grass.

Or: the softer the ground, the less you wear your body by running (but also the more effort it takes to run on it).

Just want to check my assumptions here. I don't mind putting more effort in running, but I do mind if I damage my body. I try to avoid running on asphalt/concrete as much as possible. Let me know what you think and what surface you prefer! Thanks!

Grass and sand are excellent to run on for people who get shinsplints, whereas running on asphalt or concrete will exasperate the problem.

I however, run on concrete/asphalt because it is convenient for me to do so. Grass in the UK is great but in winter, most of it ends up like a bog due to the rain.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I run on asphalt because that's what's around here LOL however I prefer to run on sand or gravel. I don't know why -- and this could be completely psychological -- but I feel like I run faster on that type of surface and it seems easier on my feet.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Water.

I figured this was already implied.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

The question is propositioned on the idea that running is hard on your joints........it's not if you use good form and do not suffer from a condition that contraindicates running.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-bad-running-your-knees

Notwithstanding the fact that running is not bad for your joints I prefer to run on asphalt rather than concrete. Running on grass or sand are different in that you don't have the same traction you do with a firmer surface - it changes your mechanics and energy expenditure and makes for a nice change occasionally. Personally I find running on the beach (in bare feet) when I'm on vacation is very tiring but it's great that a slight change in direction puts you in the water!
  • jennhls
    jennhls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is where people find enough grass to run on. I understand the sand thing since in some areas you can find miles of beach but I've never seen miles of grass. Maybe it is because I live in a desert, only pavement and cement to run on around here.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Notwithstanding the fact that running is not bad for your joints I prefer to run on asphalt rather than concrete. Running on grass or sand are different in that you don't have the same traction you do with a firmer surface - it changes your mechanics and energy expenditure and makes for a nice change occasionally. Personally I find running on the beach (in bare feet) when I'm on vacation is very tiring but it's great that a slight change in direction puts you in the water!
    I have two questions related to what you've said here. What's the difference between running on concrete vs. asphalt? Is asphalt softer? I run on the concrete sidewalk here (we have a lot of sidewalks so it's easy to run for miles on them). I'm just wondering why you prefer asphalt, how it's different.

The other question is about running on the beach. I was going to post my own question about it but figured it made sense in here. I'm going to the beach tomorrow. If I want to go for a run, would I do that barefoot? I certainly don't want to run on the wet sand in my $100 running shoes. But will I mess up my legs/joints or anything if I run barefoot? Is that what people do when they run on the beach?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Soft wet sand is the best.... Because it would be on the beach next to the ocean.

Let me illustrate

thumbbig-156781.jpg

0_05564900_1291341100_img-500x313.jpg

Beach, you can run barefoot and in a bikini. Roads, you have to deal with snow, shoes, etc.

So to sum up, I'd rather be running on a beach.

gordito.jpg

^ This, but you have to remember to dodge the sand castles and occasional deep hole.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is where people find enough grass to run on.
    The trail I run on has a grass shoulder. But since I am liable to trip and fall on anything but a smooth surface, I stick to asphalt or concrete... I'm just that uncoordinated. :blushing:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is where people find enough grass to run on. I understand the sand thing since in some areas you can find miles of beach but I've never seen miles of grass. Maybe it is because I live in a desert, only pavement and cement to run on around here.

Not sure about the US. In the UK we have large areas of parkland with lots of grass.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have two questions related to what you've said here. What's the difference between running on concrete vs. asphalt? Is asphalt softer? I run on the concrete sidewalk here (we have a lot of sidewalks so it's easy to run for miles on them). I'm just wondering why you prefer asphalt, how it's different.

The other question is about running on the beach. I was going to post my own question about it but figured it made sense in here. I'm going to the beach tomorrow. If I want to go for a run, would I do that barefoot? I certainly don't want to run on the wet sand in my $100 running shoes. But will I mess up my legs/joints or anything if I run barefoot? Is that what people do when they run on the beach?

Yes, concrete is a harder, less forgiving surface that asphalt. I can feel it in my quads and feet more than anywhere else.

You won't ruin your shoes if you get them wet. Stuff them with newspaper to dry them out. If you choose to run barefoot and you don't do it on a regular basis, you will have very, VERY sore calves after you run, especially running on sand, even the wet sand closest to shore.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yes, concrete is a harder, less forgiving surface that asphalt. I can feel it in my quads and feet more than anywhere else.

You won't ruin your shoes if you get them wet. Stuff them with newspaper to dry them out. If you choose to run barefoot and you don't do it on a regular basis, you will have very, VERY sore calves after you run, especially running on sand, even the wet sand closest to shore.

^ I'd add that you will also find that sand acts just like sandpaper after a few kilometers and if the bottoms of you're feet aren't conditioned to barefoot running then you better tape them first.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I used to run (I don't anymore cause I don't want to take a chance). I had arthroscopic hip surgery from a tear and my doctor said I could technically still run, but not to do it on asphalt. I'm worried about twisting my ankle on grass and I'd rather walk on the beach. I do miss running though. :-(