fitbit - sleep tracking?

Options
I am mainly interested in getting a fitbit to track my sleep cycles. But, I would like to know how well it does and what does it tell you before I buy one. Does anyone use theirs for this? Can you tell me how it does?

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I use mine to track my sleep. It does great. It tells me how long I slept, how many times I woke up and analyzes my sleep efficiency. Pretty interesting information.
  • marinemom93
    marinemom93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use mine to track sleep. So far it's taught me two things. #1-I sleep way too little #2-my sleep efficiency is much better on the days I work out. I'm a numbers gal. This info has helped me make sleep a priority and re-enforced that if I'm really tired I should workout because I will get more quality sleep.
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    I use mine to track sleep and I love it. It keeps me accountable sicne I like to see at least 8 hours a night on there :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate it is, but I've really enjoyed the sleep tracking feature. My mom and dad just got Fitbits and one of the things they were looking forward to most was this feature. I was getting a Fitbit for my 14-year old and was just going to get the Zip, but decided on the One and I'm glad, as he's really enjoyed tracking stairs and sleep (and I can point out "look how much I let you sleep in this summer!")

Anyway - I've recently started a blog to help me keep track of my weight-loss stuff. I did a post about Fitbit as a sleep tracker ...
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/07/sleep-tracker.html

I have a screen shot of what some of the feedback looks like ... HTH
    JenB
  • kdf606
    kdf606 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Its ok, but if tracking sleep is your MAIN priority, you may want to look at the jawbone up - I've been told the sleep tracking on that is way more sophisticated than the fitbit...
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use the sleep tracking and I find it pretty cool. A thing to consider is that if you are lying still but are awake it will think you are sleeping. It goes by how often your arm moves (I have the flex). It is cool though it shows me when I am restless and when I am awake. It is pretty accurate though. I would think that i'm getting 8 hours of sleep but when I started using this it showed that I was only getting 7 hours.
  • OkaNekko
    OkaNekko Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used mine to track sleep for several weeks. It does raise your level of awareness on your sleep patterns. It is a minor hassle to move the Fitbit from the belt clip to the wrist strap. The novelty of tracking my sleep has worn off, so now I use it mainly to track activity. My whole family has their own Fitbit so we enjoy competing with each other for most steps taken. I like that it connects to Fitness Pal and adjusts my exercise calories automatically. Great purchase!
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've used it in the past to track sleep. I know I wake up more that it says I do, so I stopped using it for that.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have been using one for about a month and originally set the sleep feature to "sensitive". Big mistake because every time my arm moved it logged me as awake. I was freaking out all the time because I thought I was getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night. I reset it a few days ago to "normal" and it appears to be working better for me.

It's a total toy - but well worth the money to me.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I track my sleep but I haven't seen any pattern apart from the fact that I don't sleep well - which I already knew. I don't know that it's 'useful' to help improve my sleep. It's interesting to show me when I wake up and things like that. Possibly waking up at the same time every night could be caused by some external factor?

I mainly use mine for determining my TDEE as walking/hiking is the only form of exercise I do most of the time. It works beautifully for that.
  • rcm1579
    rcm1579 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cool thanks everyone for the feedback. I think i'm going to splurge and get one!
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used mine to track sleep for several weeks. It does raise your level of awareness on your sleep patterns. It is a minor hassle to move the Fitbit from the belt clip to the wrist strap. The novelty of tracking my sleep has worn off, so now I use it mainly to track activity. My whole family has their own Fitbit so we enjoy competing with each other for most steps taken. I like that it connects to Fitness Pal and adjusts my exercise calories automatically. Great purchase!

I used to use the wrist band for sleep and then decided to just start clipping it to my shirt when I sleep. No uncomfortable wrist band and it doesn't wear out the clip as fast constantly taking it in and out.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I also use mine to track sleep. I used to have the One but when the Flex came out I invested in one of those. Nice not having to take it off to shower, switch it to the wristband, etc. I find the data interesting.

I just read a review that compared the Fitbit to three other wrist devices, and that review did not like the Up. She said she woke up once to answer a phone call but the Up showed that she had been asleep so she knew it wasn't accurate.