replacing lunch with a smoothie

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
So in my home town, they have opened a Boost Juice Bar and i am in HEAVEN, I am so in love with these that i have currently replaced my lunch with one of their breakfast go-go smoothies.

At the moment my typical food day is;

Breakfast: Brown bread & peanut butter

Lunch: Breakie go go smoothie (includes low fat yoghurt, banana, muesli)

Snack: protein bar

Dinner: Meat/Fish and vegetables

equalling around 1550 calories per day - i also exercise daily, anything from 30 mins - 1 hour and a half, mixed cardio & lifting.

Do you think what i am eating is enough and will i lose weight as i have only been replacing my lunch with a smoothie for a week or should i go back to my turkey salad?

Thanks

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    If you feel full and you're getting enough calories, go for it! Personally, I'd rather have the solid food since I feel like I'm getting more if I have to chew it. But for busy people, I think smoothies are great. It's all up to you. If the sugars, protein, calories, and energy levels are all good, go for it!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have a green smoothie everyday as a meal :)
  • NaughtyNancy69
    Options
    You need solid foods for a good BM. 1 smoothie to replace is ok though.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My breakfast M-F is a smoothie with protein powder. It works for me. :)
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast almost every morning. If the smoothie satisfies you just as much as the salad I see nothing wrong with making the replacement.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Veggie and/or fruit smoothies are great as a meal. If they have an option to add a veggie such as carrot or kale it'll be even better.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I think as long as you take in the recommended calories and nutrition it does matter if its liquid or not.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    I have a green smoothie everyday as a meal :)
    Same.
  • Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie everyday. It just depends what you put into it.

I use fruit, kale, flax seed, and greek yogurt.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you're taking in 1500 calories and working out an average of an hour, you may be netting a whole 800-1000 calories....just say'n.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You need solid foods for a good BM. 1 smoothie to replace is ok though.

Depends what's in the smoothie. If you blend oatmeal/chia/flax in there in addition to whole berries/fruit/spinach/kale etc., smoothies will actually help the BM. I get 8-10g fibre from my breakfast smoothies. Most chain smoothie places don't use whole food ingredients though, so that's where the problem lies.