Could use some words of support...

TKRV
TKRV Posts: 165 Member
I hate it when people older than me tell me "just wait, once you get old you won't be able to do anything about gaining weight" or, even worse "I can't wait to see you 10 or 20 years from now." That last is usually the response when I say healthy eating habits and a good fitness routine will easily keep me within a healthy weight range.

I'm not ignorant enough to think I will look just like I do now 20 years from now. I am okay with my body changing as I make my way through life. That being said, it's frustrating to hear people older than me say those things. It makes me feel like all my attempts be healthy now in my 20s will go to waste. It's easy to believe that too when you walk around and see that most people older than you are overweight.

So, I guess I am looking for some hope for my future. Am I really just destined to gain weight as I get older? Is it crazy to think that eating healthy and working out 3-5 times a week will keep me at a healthy weight throughout my life?

Lastly, do any of you have any advice on what I could say when people tell me I will be overweight in the future and there's nothing I can do about it?

Replies

• leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    My mom is 67 and can outpace me anytime. She just celebrated her 14th year of weight maintenance after losing 40 lbs and looks better than ever. Health is just as much in your mind as it is on the outside.

I would reply with, "I'll be as old as I feel, and I feel 20!!" right up until the day I die!
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Look at my pic. I'm 65 - gaining fast on 66
    I intend to look this way forever, plus or minus a wrinkle or two.
    I've just (since January 13) joined MFP and lost nearly 70 lbs. Difficult - yep somewhat, but no more so than the 20 year olds on here. Its all down to determination and positivity.
    I like myself - I like the way I look. I will like it more minus 30 lbs from now, but it doesnt rule my life.
    Yes it is worth it. Go for it.
  • This is just about the worst thing you can say to someone who is trying to lose weight and remain encouraged to do it. Sounds like the people telling you this aren't very motivated to maintain a healthy weight or lifestyle (or jealous you're doing something about yours). It will be the same when you get pregnant for the first time. All those "experienced" mothers rant about delivery room horrors and hours of labor and pain. NOT ALL PREGNANCIES ARE THE SAME OR DELIVERIES FOR THAT MATTER. How do they know what your will be like? They don't! Just like they don't know how you will look weight-wise when you are older.
    My advice....stop talking to people about your weight and healthy ways. They don't need to know this about you. I would surround myself with POSITIVE people (like here on MFP) that are truly here to support you....not beat you down. GOOD LUCK!!
  • andersonh2007
    andersonh2007 Posts: 27 Member
    You are creating healthy habits now that can be used and maintained throughout your entire life. If you monitor and adjust as you age, you will be fine. You can let people know you are choosing to live a healthy lifestyle for your life.
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    I'm 25 right now and I just read in a magazine that once women turn 25, they gain an average of 1 pound per year. That being said, there are so many ways that we can counteract that! The magazine suggested that you could stand an extra hour per day or walk more, take the stairs, etc.

My mom always said that since I am so self aware of my body weight and body image, it will always be in the forefront of my mind and actions where I will consciously & subconsciously make healthy decisions that will keep my body healthy. You seem the same way, so I dont think you really have to worry about those women who tell you otherwise. Whose to say that they didn't trash their bodies when they were younger and skinnier and they just let themselves go?

If someone told me that I will be fat when I'm older, I would tell them "I have been working every day to maintain a strong body, and I intend to do that for the rest of my life".
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    I see a lot of fit older people at the gym or training for marathons. There's countless examples out there.
    They probably have worked harder then if they were 20 but that's a lot better then just giving up.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    I'm 57 and I'll be happy to kick the *kitten* of anyone who is half or 2/3rds my age, thank you very much. Or at least I'll be happy to die trying. Yeah, I gained weight. And I also had enough wisdom, experience and knowledge to take it off with relative ease. Everyone is amazed at how I did it and I honestly don't think i did a hell of a lot. But I know I'm in pants I haven't been in since high school (over 4 decades ago) when I was 30+ pounds lighter. I can do more physically than I ever could. People tend to gain weight when they get older for one reason I think: they get lazy. Sure, life gets busier as your career and family takes over. But failing to prioritizing your health and fitness is just laziness. And I was guilty as charged. So if you are aware of it and fight it, you'll be fine. It isn't some sort of cosmic judgment that you have to. And once you get older it doesn't mean you can't fight back. I am not going quietly into that good night. I'm going kicking and screaming. And having the time of my life.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Keep doing what youre doing and don't let anyone stop you! Youre absolutely right to develop healthy habits now that will KEEP YOU from gaining weight once your metabolism wants to slow. I wish I had done the same. I was one of those skinny people who ate whatever I wanted and never exercised. And yes, just like everyone told me, once I got a little older, I packed on the pounds. 50 pounds the year I turned 30 in fact. It's the ones who start healthy and stay healthy who will stay slim. I wish I had known this 18 months ago.....:frown:
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    You know they're just jealous and trying to make themselves feel better, right? Because they are wishing they still look like you and they don't. They need to get over it.

I'm 43 - a runner. People tell me all the time I look like I'm in my 20s. I don't smoke, don't drink excessively, and I wear sunscreen. Sure I don't weight 110 pounds anymore. I had 3 kids. It changed my shape. I have a "rounder" rear now. My hip bones spread. My rib cage expanded.

My weight fluctuates. I let it. I eat about the same and the running is what changes. Sometimes I weigh 120 and sometimes I weigh 140. I don't get hung up on it. I wear a size 3 - 7. I am tone. I can buy any pair of boots I want because I don't have fat calves. I wear a bikini to the beach because I don't have cellulite. I control my diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure through diet and exercise because I deserve to be healthy, happy, and active. I don't get caught up on the weight and the blah, blah, blah of society.

People will always be negative. When I am on the lighter side I hear a lot of "Are you on a diet" or "You are getting too skinny.". No. I'm not. I'm light because I'm training for a 10k or I'm coaching running (I run with my kids) or when I'm under stress (use running as a stress reliever). Others tell me I should "work out" instead of running because running causes you to lose muscle. Tried it. Didn't like it, found myself slacking. What I like is running and it's why I stick with it long after other people have left their exercise programs. You can look at my profile pic to see my average size (5).

When I had surgery I gained a boatload of weight because I wasn't able to go on runs or long walks. I have diabetes so as soon as I stopped exercising I start gaining. But as soon as I go the OK to get back to it I did and the weight (and fat!) came right back off. When I had kids I switched to more walking and water sports because they liked to do it. When my kid had football practice and the other parents were sitting around yacking I used the time to walk the fields and enjoy the fresh air. The kid and I both needed showers afterwards :). If you have a habit of exercising you work it in anywhere :)

Bottom line: Eat right. Exercise in a way you enjoy. Be happy. Be healthy. Tell the people that are negative that it's OK if you gain weight as you get older so long as you are still happy, healthy, and active. Cause that's all that matters. How you feel about yourself and what you can do.

Maybe develop a personal creedo or motto. Everyday I flip on my background and see my personal motto "Life is an adventure. Not a race. Do more. Feel more. Look for beauty. Find your limits by pushing them. Do not try to find yourself. Create yourself. Explore life and enjoy your story."
  • Becca1637
    Becca1637 Posts: 38 Member
    I would just smile and walk away from those nay sayers. I don't allow toxic people in my space nor will I respond to their negativity. Its just not worth my time and energy.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes it's just so frustrating. I tell myself everyday to embrace a healthy lifestyle and disregard all the things telling me it's a lost cause. I am healthy now and I am small now. To be honest, it's never easy because often the unhealthy food is easier and cheaper to come by. But I am happier now than I've ever been with my body image and I have all the energy in the world.

I wish I could just cancel out the toxic people, but they're not really that bad... they just don't have a complete understanding of how to be healthy. I work around them so there is no avoiding it. We often go out to eat together and it comes up sometimes as they poke fun at me for ordering the healthiest thing on the menu. So, it's not really something I can avoid, I just have to learn to say as little as possible without being rude. I'm not going to convince them that a healthy lifestyle will keep me healthy for life any more than they can convince me that I'm going to blow up to be twice my size in a few decades.

Thanks again.