Is sugar bad for you?

Sugar is not at all necessary for us to eat, it has no significant nutritional value however it is not bad for you either. The reason sugar gets a bad rap is because it contains a lot of calories and carbs in a small amount with no significant nutritional value. Sugar does not cause diabetes, the over consumption of products that have a lot of sugar added to them which are high calorie items like cakes, pies, and cinnamon rolls lead to becoming overweight and obese can lead to diabetes and other health problems, it's the being overweight that is linked to it. I am not a doctor or nutritionist so I encourage you to do your own research as I have or you can take my word for it, the majority of the research shows sugar itself is not bad for you so don't worry if you go over the suggested daily limit a little as long as you're not taking in more calories than you're burning and you're maintaining a healthy weight with a balanced nutritional diet.

Replies

• soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    My gut tells me that MFP's suggested sugar intake is a bit too low.... A few pieces of fruit and I've skyrocketed right over it!
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    My gut tells me that MFP's suggested sugar intake is a bit too low.... A few pieces of fruit and I've skyrocketed right over it!

That's what I thought so I adjusted mine :) plus the more you exercise the more it allows you to eat but just remember as long as you're under your'e calorie goal it's ok just don't go overboard lol like eating bags of sugar all day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    There is absolutely NO food out there that is "necessary" for us to eat. We always have choices. Eat enough food to give you adequate energy while providing appropriate nutrition. Sugar is easy to fit into your diet, even when losing body fat.
  • CycleGuy9000
    There is absolutely NO food out there that is "necessary" for us to eat. We always have choices. Eat enough food to give you adequate energy while providing appropriate nutrition. Sugar is easy to fit into your diet, even when losing body fat.

What? YES there are foods that are necessary for you to eat or you will die.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Which ones? It can't possibly be t-bones because I haven't had one in a long time. I eat more ground beef than anything. There are lots of different foods that I have never eaten, yet I manage to get adequate nutrition.

Please enlighten me. Now I am dying to know. :laugh:
  • CycleGuy9000

Which ones? It can't possibly be t-bones because I haven't had one in a long time. I eat more ground beef than anything. There are lots of different foods that I have never eaten, yet I manage to get adequate nutrition.

Please enlighten me. Now I am dying to know. :laugh:

:huh: Food contains nutrients, the main classes are carbohydrates, fats, minerals, protein, vitamins, and water. You need some of all of these or you can develop a deficiency disease or chronic systemic disease and die as a result. Food is defined as: any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.
    You EAT ground beef that contains PROTEIN and FAT which is NECESSARY for your body to sustain life. It's not the foods you
    "have never eaten" it's the ones you already do that give you "adequate nutrition".
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    simple sugars are bad for me, when I eat them, I need more. Its just better I avoid as much as possible. Again, this is just for me, if someone else is more moderate than I, good for them
  • Becca1637
    Becca1637 Posts: 38 Member
    I stopped tracking my sugar and added fiber to my diary instead. Sugars can go over just from 2 peices of fruit.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Well... actually...

Muscles use sugar first for energy. So there is a nutritional purpose for it.

IN for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Processed/refined sugar is the devil.

Unrefined sugars in fruit, veggies, even things like pure maple syrup are not the devil. They are full of vitamins and minerals that refined sugars lack.
  • I stopped tracking my sugar and added fiber to my diary instead. Sugars can go over just from 2 peices of fruit.

This - and my doctor said I needed to track fiber for medical reasons. I don't even care about sugars
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

No. There are nutrients we need to stay alive. But there is no one single food that is necessary for life.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    I stopped tracking my sugar and added fiber to my diary instead. Sugars can go over just from 2 peices of fruit.

Me too! I just try not to eat a lot of 'processed sugar'.
  • CycleGuy9000

No. There are nutrients we need to stay alive. But there is no one single food that is necessary for life.

No one said "one single food" in these statements above besides you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

It says "NO food" Singular. And it's true.
  • socopithy
    socopithy Posts: 5
    This is a little ridiculous.

Trying to justify sugar in a diet is like trying to justify cheating on a spouse because you're bored or hurt.

Yeah, there are "reasons" for it, but nothing good comes of it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Its the same way as in the movie "Skeleton Key"
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member

Trying to justify sugar in a diet is like trying to justify cheating on a spouse because you're bored or hurt.

How many times did you cheat on your wife before getting all smug and joining MFP?
  • CycleGuy9000

It says "NO food" Singular. And it's true.

I knew you would try and argue this and you're wrong. In the grammatical sense and in the context of her statement "There is absolutely NO food out there that is "necessary" for us to eat." "food" is plural because it does not state that it is not, it does not say (single food). Example: Person A asks: what did you eat for lunch? Person B says: I ate food. Therefore "food" can refer to an entire meal made up of anything like fruits, veggies, meats, and rice all together which would be more than one.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

disappointed.gif