How to make the transition to maintenance?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'll also add that maintenance can be either very easy or very difficult. The people I know who've found it to be difficult never really learned how to eat properly. They "dieted" rather than learning portion control, moderation, etc. They go to maintenance and they eat completely different from the way they ate while losing. It shouldn't really be that way...the only difference between my cut and maintenance is the number of calories I consume; my overall diet (noun) remains the same...lots of fruit and veg, lean proteins, healthy fats, and some whole grains...with a few treats thrown in there for good measure (usually beer).

For me, it's not an issue...I spent a long time learning to eat this way...I spent a long time learning what a portion looks like, not only on my food scale, but in my hand and on my plate. I can grab a handful of nuts and come within a gram or two of a true serving.

I also live a fitness centric lifestyle...I don't really workout, I train for sport. The 2nd biggest mistake (above being the 1st) is that people drop off on their fitness...you can't do that an not expect to gain. Fitness has to be a part of your lifestyle not just while you're "dieting."

If you continue to treat your diet like a noun rather than an action verb...and you continue to get your fitness on, maintenance is easy. Be mindful that just as your weight loss wasn't linear, weight maintenance isn't static...you still have natural fluctuations up and down...you should establish a floor and a ceiling for yourself.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal, I raised my intake 200 a day for a week, then checked if I was still losing at the end of the week. If I was I raised my calories 200 a day again, and repeated the cycle. I found a good balance following this method without having a huge one day change in how much I was eating. That was over 18 months ago, and I'm still on target. I bounce up and down in 5 lbs target range now.

I also started eating back most of my exercise calories during maintenance, which I did not do while I was losing the weight.

For the past 6 months I've been on a slow bulk. It's tough putting weight back on, even when it's mostly lean muscle, when you worked so hard to get to a goal.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    So, you set your goal to 5lbs lower? then said you wanted to lose .5lbs a week? Is that what you mean? Sorry, my brain doesn't handle math too well lol.

Yeah I adjusted my goal weight just for a visual goal. When I started to convert to maintenance mode I changed my weekly loss plan from 1lbs to .5lbs per week, which upped my daily calories by about 175. I found it very easy this way but like others said it won't take any magic. For me it was easier than I expected.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me find my true maintenance was doing some math with my own numbers. I was mostly consistent with tracking and weighing over a 2 month period of time so when I got to the point that I didn't want to lose anymore weight, I did some math. So for instance, if my average intake was 1900 over 8 weeks and I lost 3 pounds in that time frame than I know by the numbers I could have eaten about 190 more calories per day and not lost weight.

3lbs. X 3500 cal per pound = 10,500 calories I could have eaten but didn't so therefore lost the weight.
    10,500 cal / 8 wks = 1312 calories per week
    1312 cal / 7 days = 187 / day

That's of course using the standard 3500 calories = 1 lb. I will say though that it did pretty much hold true for me. I've raised my calories and have been maintaining for months. If you were consistent for a good period of time, than you can get a better idea of what your true TDEE is instead of what a calculator says.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good info in here too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/152-maintenance

I have been maintaining since November 2011. When I was within 5 lbs of my goals, I switches from 1 lb/week of weight loss to 1/2 lb/week, then to maintain. Some people up by 100 calories/day every week until they hit maintenance when they hit their goal weight.

Like the others, it is a bit of a mental challenge not having a loss to look forward to anymore. I have been working on fitness and strength goals since meeting my weight goal. I found the eating part of it easy because I never was on a "diet". I just got to enjoy a bit more of the foods I enjoyed.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You're going to gain weight, nothing can be done about that. Slowly increase your calories. Add 100-200 a day for a week (probably two) and monitor the results. You'll more than likely spike up a few pounds the first week, simply from glycogen stores being replenished and water retention from increase consumption. Typically it will settle down after a week or two and you're probably even continue to lose. If so adjust up again until you find a level where you stay within a given range, say 5 lbs up and down, over the course of a month.

That is more than likely your maintenance level, everything else being equal or static (activity etc...)

I adjusted up, over time, from 1300 all the way up to 4100 @ 5'10" 195lbs with this method. (Currently cutting again at 3000)

Pretty much this.... I have been at maintenance for the past 9 months and am currently maintaining at 4000 calories a day... While I was losing I ate around 2800-3000 calories a day. I don't get on the scale very much anymore but my weight is +/- 5 lbs. whenever I check it and holding there.. I am 6' 1" and 248 lbs. currently.... On August 1st I am going to make a push for 235 lbs. and am planning on cutting calories to 3200 at that time..... Best of Luck
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal!!!

I won't comment on the technical part of maintenance (how many cals, TDEE, etc).

But I'm surprised by how hard it is mentally to switch to maintenance mode. I've been at maintenance since May. Like an above poster, I also lowered my goal by 5 lbs just for kicks and giggles. I lost 2 of those 5 lbs when I experimented with 5:2 fasting for a month, and I've just sort of maintained that, but I'm not trying to lose more. I fluctuate on any given day 2-3 lbs anyway.

What's hard is the fear of gaining the weight back. It's not a rational fear at all. I stopped counting calories for a couple of months, and at first I found it liberating, but now I just find that not knowing my daily calories is adding stress. Even though I know what I'm eating, the lack of tracking is stressful in its own way. So I decided to go back to tracking... not to lose more weight, but to just let the data it gives me feel more in control.

We went on a beach vacation earlier this month, and I told my hubby to take a picture of me, because "I may never be this thin again". He thought I was nuts for saying it. It's like I don't really believe that I've lost the weight, or that I'll be able to keep it off. Even though I've completely changed my eating habits from "the old me" and I'm not going back to old behaviors, I still fear gaining.

For the past couple of weeks, I've had my house for sale and I've moved the scale out of my bathroom. I think that's created the most stress of all. Without that data point in the morning, I find that I look in the mirror and see more fat and think, "Oh my Gawd, I've gained weight back". Then I pull out the scale, and find that I haven't, and it's a case of distorted perception.

Anyway... no particular advice here, but just a "beware". I find it's harder mentally than being in loss mode.
    Not trying to be mean, but quite honestly, you sound like you need some psychological counseling or therapy.

Tigersword, come back when you have been at maintenance for a while and see if you feel the same way.

LOL. I may need psychological counseling or therapy, but probably not for my diet/eating. I don't think my experience is uncommon. I think many (most?) women have body distortion issues. We look in the mirror and only see our flaws, no matter what we weigh. Objectively, I know I've lost weight. I spent a year changing my eating habits and losing very slowly and in a healthy way. I can see how my clothes fit on me.

It doesn't change the fact that I perceive maintenance to be a harder "mental game", in some ways, than losing.

And, I don't think it's uncommon for many of us on MFP to get so tied into logging and tracking every calorie that we find it hard to adjust to letting go of that control. MFP was an important tool in my weight loss because it kept me accountable and informed. It's sort of scary to let go of that tool.

And, sadly, like many others, I'm totally addicted to my scale. Even though it doesn't tell the whole story, and blah blah blah my self-worth should be determined by the number on the scale, I still get a sense of satisfaction when I see 118 on that thing instead of 145. Without it, I'm left wondering... "Am I creeping up?" It's easier just to step on it and feel relief than avoid it and wonder.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I won't comment on the technical part of maintenance (how many cals, TDEE, etc).

But I'm surprised by how hard it is mentally to switch to maintenance mode. I've been at maintenance since May. Like an above poster, I also lowered my goal by 5 lbs just for kicks and giggles. I lost 2 of those 5 lbs when I experimented with 5:2 fasting for a month, and I've just sort of maintained that, but I'm not trying to lose more. I fluctuate on any given day 2-3 lbs anyway.

What's hard is the fear of gaining the weight back. It's not a rational fear at all. I stopped counting calories for a couple of months, and at first I found it liberating, but now I just find that not knowing my daily calories is adding stress. Even though I know what I'm eating, the lack of tracking is stressful in its own way. So I decided to go back to tracking... not to lose more weight, but to just let the data it gives me feel more in control.

We went on a beach vacation earlier this month, and I told my hubby to take a picture of me, because "I may never be this thin again". He thought I was nuts for saying it. It's like I don't really believe that I've lost the weight, or that I'll be able to keep it off. Even though I've completely changed my eating habits from "the old me" and I'm not going back to old behaviors, I still fear gaining.

For the past couple of weeks, I've had my house for sale and I've moved the scale out of my bathroom. I think that's created the most stress of all. Without that data point in the morning, I find that I look in the mirror and see more fat and think, "Oh my Gawd, I've gained weight back". Then I pull out the scale, and find that I haven't, and it's a case of distorted perception.

Anyway... no particular advice here, but just a "beware". I find it's harder mentally than being in loss mode.
    Not trying to be mean, but quite honestly, you sound like you need some psychological counseling or therapy.

Tigersword, come back when you have been at maintenance for a while and see if you feel the same way.
    I've been in maintenance since 2011. Then I spent the last 6 months in a bulking cycle, now I'm in a cutting cycle. And yes, I do feel the same way. Thanks for presuming to have a clue about what you are talking about.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I've been in maintenance since 2011. Then I spent the last 6 months in a bulking cycle, now I'm in a cutting cycle. And yes, I do feel the same way. Thanks for presuming to have a clue about what you are talking about.

No need to get defensive, I was only going by your ticker (which is prominently displayed at the end of every post you make). You diagnosed a poster with psychological problems for which she might need therapy based on a single post, so I am not the only one making assumptions here. I am glad you are not familiar with the emotional aspects of maintenance that many people in this thread have commented on, but that does not mean they are pathological. Good luck with your bulking and cutting.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Im maintaining now and have been for a few months. I do the same as others have said basically, I added about 100 cals a day, sometimes I eat more others less, I still dont eat more than 1/2 of exercise cals most of the time...alot of times I dont eat any exercise cals depending how much I burn..and I give myself a 4lbs window to work with...Im up 4 lbs after the weekend, and down 4 come Friday...been working out great this way.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats on hitting an amazing goal. I, too, am 1 lb. away from mine so I am also thinking about maintenance.

Three things:

1) Be careful with the numbers. They can lie. Example. MFP says I can eat 2100 a day and maintain. Other calculators give me as much as 2300. Both bogus. If I eat 2300 I will blow up like a a balloon in the Macy's parade. So I am thinking more like 1800 or it could even be as low as 1700 but I hate the thought of it. Experience is the best teacher - and I know 2100 is way too much. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

2) Keep your protein up. My dietitian tells me it helps you feel full longer so you're less likely to snack and overeat throughout the day. More on that here http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2011/110330CampbellPork.html

3) Think about weekly calories instead of daily. So - if, for example, my most dire predictions turn out to be correct and I can only eat 1700 a day - it's better to think of that as 12,000 a week. (Another tip from my dietitian.) That way - you can have a 3000 pig-out day and not feel bad about it as long as you behave the next few and hit your weekly number. This will serve me well on weekends when both my food and beer consumption tend to be higher.

Good luck!

Sal
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal, am losing really slowly at this point, and am really comfortable with my calories, so I'm just sticking here. I expect when it gets cooler in the Fall, I'll get hungrier and I'll up my calories. Right now, it's hot, I'm exercising a lot (I try to eat my exercise calories) and I'm not hungry.

What I have done is INCREASE MY EXERCISE! Research says that logging, staying within a tight weight zone, and EXERCISE are critical in maintaining. I know for me, I need more muscle, not less weight.

Another key factor is including food you love in your daily routine. Don't deprive yourself. This is the rest of your life.

And congratulations!
  • 5brownsnc
    5brownsnc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just marking as I would love to see advice, :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    quote]

* snip *

I am not as worried as the poster. But I do feel, not anxious, but conscious of the fact that all the research that says it's harder to maintain than to lose. And there are fewer rules.

I LOVE data. It's why I really like MFP and it worked for me. I like to know where my calories are coming from. I like to know what I'm eating and how to make good choices. I like to see my weight fluctuate because it helps me know it's a normal part of how your body works - and it will come back down.

I have no plans to stop logging and recently bought a fitbit - which I love - because it tells me that I exercise naturally less than I think I do, so I can up my game.

I'm not obsessed and I don't think I have more of a distorted body image now than I did when I was overweight and thought I looked fine. Having the information allows me to NOT think about this stuff so I can think about the other, more important things in my life. We're all different.
  • 5brownsnc
    5brownsnc Posts: 23 Member
    Options

- I love your honesty ! The things we put ourselves through..haha
  • Jessicalg1981
    Jessicalg1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys!! When I say I have a fear of gaining it back I don't mean the fluctuations of regular life- I mean the bulk of it- all 86 lbs and 6 dress sizes of it! When I told my husband all of this he said, "Why are you so worried? You eat great, you exercise regularly, and have a rock solid will power!" I had been fat my whole life though! It's hard not to worry about gaining it back even though logically I know I would never let it happen. I didn't realize MFP had a maintenance setting. I might try that first but slowly creep up to the calorie amount they give me. It's strange to even think about eating more right now lol.

Everyone has been very helpful!! Thanks again!!
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reference.