What to do with Ground Beef?

Options
13»

Replies

• qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    I use 93% lean as well, as I plan to continue eating it, 4 ounces at a time! LOL!
    I like besides the usual hamburger and bun; spaghetti and meatballs, stuffed
    peppers, easy lasagna (noodles, ragu, gr beef, onion, and cheese), burritos,
    nachos (chips, gr beef, cheese, green onions, tomato, black beans), also have
    as patties with a baked potato and veggie.
  • jettacone
    jettacone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Costco sells a Kirkland ground beef that is 9% fat, very lean, but still good. It is already frozen in 1lb bundles. A little more expensive but worth it. I use it to make Sloppy Joes. I know, doesn't sound healthy, but it is all in how you make it right?

So for the meat portion.

1 pound of ground beef, cook it with a lillte butter, just a little, maybe a tablespoon. Put aside.
    Take some chooped onions and peppers, camalize, not necessarily onion and pepper strips, but diced. Season of course, with salt and pepper.
    You can cook up some mushrooms to add as well, optional i guess.

For the sloppy joe sauce.
    3/4 cup of 1 carb heinze ketchup,
    3 teaspoons of brown sugar
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon yellow mustard
    salt and pepper to season

Once this is all done mix it all up together and put on a wheat roll or just eat it plain.

This is going for a low sugar count as well as a low calorie but with flavor. The roll I use is a cracked wheat roll (Alpicella) that is 210 calories but low sugar.

The meat is about 190 Calories with 4.2 ozs after cooking
    The peppers, onions and mushrooms are about 40 calories
    The butter is about 36 calories
    the Ketchup is about 15 since you get about 3 tablespoons in the mix
    Brown sugar is 15
    Yellow mustard is about 2

So a total of aprox 300 calories for the sloppy joe portion. The Roll would be a majority depending on the type. It is good plain too!

Hope this helps.

Rod
  • jenialynn
    jenialynn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My friend makes something called "hamburger soup" which sounds a lot like "hamburger pie" it uses tomato soup and it's so tasty. As for the hamburger helper, if you love pasta like me, swap the hamburger helper for some whole wheat pasta, much healthier for you and less calories. Another thing you could try is stuffed peppers!
  • jenialynn
    jenialynn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My friend makes something called "hamburger soup" which sounds a lot like "hamburger pie" it uses tomato soup and it's so tasty. As for the hamburger helper, if you love pasta like me, swap the hamburger helper for some whole wheat pasta, much healthier for you and less calories. Another thing you could try is stuffed peppers!
  • donnaleecam
    Options
    I made a good recipe (if you like sloppy joes) that I tweaked from the HG site.

8 oz. lean ground beef(called for ground turkey, but the beef was less calories..)
    1 12 oz bag broccoli slaw
    1 can original Manwich(called for 1 cup) I used whole can, I like sauce

Brown meat. Add slaw and sauce, cook for 6-10 minutes. It was 750 calories and less than $6. 3 or 4 servings. I didn't use a bun, but one could.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Mix it up with cinnamon, chilli, garlic, curry powder, tumeric and some fennel, roll into little balls, grill or fry with frylight and make a kofta curry using passata for the sauce and dribble with low fat natural yoguhurt......just over 300 calories a serving and yummy!

This sounds great but how do you make a kofta curry and what is passata?
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread! My hubby is a red meat and potato man, so we go through a LOT of hamburger. Not only am I burned out on meatloaf, spaghetti, and tacos, but I need some healthier alternatives. :happy:
  • pcw52
    pcw52 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I buy a pound brown it with onions then divide it in half. I make vegetable soup with half and the other half I make spaghetti with. The soup makes about 27 cups. It is homemade so there is a lot less sodium than canned.