fruit sugar question

Options
2»

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Fruit wont make you fat, smoothies sure could.

Nature works pretty well. To get sugar, you have to work for it. Fruit has fiber in it. You can't eat it that fast or that much (or afford it for most of us lol!!!) to get fat on.

Smoothies are sorta processing out mother natures "brakes" on eating too much sugar.

At least that's my take.

Example---a normal human couldnt eat enough oranges to get fat on right? Apples? Peaches? Not likely.

But the average person sure as hell gets fat on orange juice, apple juice, etc if you just drank it all the time which is easy to do.

wait-what1.gif
  • eviltwinsissy
    Options
    The reason fruit juice makes us fat is due to the process of "concentrating" the fruit juice. That process strips away the fiber and healthy nutrients, essentially leaving behind a flavored sugar water. That's not technically what it is, but essentially that is the value of what is left after concentration occurs. The best form of making any kind of juice is to squeeze it yourself. If you want a smoothy, then make one with fresh fruits, it's way healthier and tastes better anyway :-)
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fruit wont make you fat, smoothies sure could.

Nature works pretty well. To get sugar, you have to work for it. Fruit has fiber in it. You can't eat it that fast or that much (or afford it for most of us lol!!!) to get fat on.

Smoothies are sorta processing out mother natures "brakes" on eating too much sugar.

At least that's my take.

But the average person sure as hell gets fat on orange juice, apple juice, etc if you just drank it all the time which is easy to do.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar from fruits is bad for you since it is natural sugar. You just want to make sure that you keep low on "added sugar"... those are the evils! LOL! This is what I found on webmd.com: Recommendations vary based on organization. For example, the World Health Organization recommends keeping added sugar intake to 10% of total calories. For the average 2000 calorie-diet that's a maximum of 50 grams. The American Heart Association recommends 6 teaspoons of sugar for women and 9 for men (1 teaspoon of sugar has about 4g of sugar). The primary source of added sugars are soft drinks and other sugar-sweetened beverages.

http://answers.webmd.com/answers/5008459/how-many-grams-of-sugar-per-day
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The reason fruit juice makes us fat is due to the process of "concentrating" the fruit juice. That process strips away the fiber and healthy nutrients, essentially leaving behind a flavored sugar water. That's not technically what it is, but essentially that is the value of what is left after concentration occurs. The best form of making any kind of juice is to squeeze it yourself. If you want a smoothy, then make one with fresh fruits, it's way healthier and tastes better anyway :-)
    Well who hey now look at this..an intelligent response with a thoughtful explanation instead of lame *kitten* gifs.

Its not fruit juice, but turning fruit into a smoothie is processing the food, and easier to eat, thus easier to overeat. The fruit juice was an exaggerated example to make a point.
  • DRTChic
    DRTChic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ... I don't count sugar from fruit.

^^This...
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the input.
    I am a working lady on the go and making a giant smoothie with some kind of greens,pineapple and strawberries to drink all day long is just so easy!
    I am sure it is my lack of Zumba Class,and not my love of fruit, that is holding me back
  • SmartSysta
    SmartSysta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of fruit smoothies, and it is so funny but I noticed that I started to lose weight, lower my blood sugar levels, blood pressure went down, and my hair and nails is finally beginning to grow. Yes, it will take your sugar levels to the moon, but the benefits outweigh that small detail. Keep going, I know I will!!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of fruit smoothies, and it is so funny but I noticed that I started to lose weight, lower my blood sugar levels, blood pressure went down, and my hair and nails is finally beginning to grow. Yes, it will take your sugar levels to the moon, but the benefits outweigh that small detail. Keep going, I know I will!!

You had me at Blood Pressure!