Anyone else working out with kids??

Options
I often work out with my 10 yr old son. He's my biggest motivation for being healthy and I want to encourage him to be active. I also do solo workouts... Would love to find new friends that also work out w. their kiddos.

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but my sister does... and she is my biggest supporter and the only other active person I know right now. She has 2 girls and one baby boy. We take turns pushing the stroller during walks or holding him while swimming. That is mostly what we do - walking and swimming. She just joined a gym though and can bring a friend but that would be without the kiddos.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Working out with kids? All the time. I have 12-year old 145 lb 5'8" twin boys. They kill me at swimming, rock climb like demons, run a 6 minute mile (vs my 7 min. mile) and study from me in martial arts.

I only once gave into to the plea to, "Carry me!" LOL, I finished a 10k with my son on my back piggyback style after he hit the wall at mile 3. I don't think I stood up straight for a week. I don't recommend that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    does working out while my 19 year old sits there and eat chips and tells me not to give up count?
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old daughter has been working out with me. Occasionally I have my 8 year old work out with me but usually she isn't very motivated to keep doing the work out unless it is a dancing work out. My littlest two are usually in the way and thus I wait until their bed time or if I am home I will work out during their nap time.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I walk and ride bikes with my 2 younger daughters, but they just call it "doing stuff"!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Kinda. My 4-yr old jumps on my back while I do pushups, and hangs on my legs while I do pull ups. Not sure if that counts or not.
  • chichibaby85
    chichibaby85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I occasionally pop in an insanity disc when I'm feeling guilty for eating terribly and my 1 & 5yrs sons will join in right along with me..it motivates me and cracks me up at the same time because they both have all the moves down and actually do better than me energy wise...smh.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My lil ones can not handle my long runs and it is toooo hot for them. My 7yr old has tried to keep but unable too and it is hard to get my wkout with him. My 13 yr old can hang but he rather be a teenager when he is not playing his sports. I think as long as they see me I am setting an example to be followed.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I run to get *away* from my kids. :wink:
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I'm a nanny and do work-out type stuff with the girl I watch. She's only 2, so it's nothing intense, but we do Mommy and Me gymnastics and swimming classes, which are both more work for her than me.

We also go on walks together, and I have made up some scavenger hunt type sheets for her to do while we're walking for educational purposes (smell 5 flowers, and she has to count and find 5 different flowers to smell, or try to hear 3 different birds making noise, and she has to listen and try to identify 3 different noises coming from different birds). We walk at her pace, so it doesn't really count as exercising for me, but it's still fun.

We also do Yogakids videos together, and they are so fun! We've been doing them pretty regularly to stay active when it is too hot to do much outside, and she doesn't need my help anymore! She can do all the poses on her own, and fairly correctly.
    It's a lot different from a regular yoga class (you get to bark like a dog during downward dog, make hissing noises when you're doing the cobra pose, etc) but it's a really good foundation if she ever wants to get into yoga later in life, and her gymnastics teacher has said her flexibility is great for someone her age and that she can tell the yoga has made a difference.

My parents never really exercised in front of me, so I never saw exercise as something normal that everyone should be doing. I'm glad this little girl will never think like that, and that she will grow up thinking working hard and staying active is fun.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My daughter rides bike with me everyday and we go to family swimming at least once a week. we motivate each other to stay healthy and happy!
    on another note: My daughter (10) and I used to do water aerobics together (she absolutely LOVES it) until our local civic center (public pool) kicked her out of the class for being under 16yrs old. they told us they were not covered by insurance for children under 16 in drop-in classes. what a bunch of horse ****!!! where do they think our overweight youth are supposed to go to get healthy if they cannot access their local health centers???? I complained but got no where so I wrote to the local paper and got no response from there either. I guess this could be a huge contributing factor to our obese youth population. I ran across several other young people who were also turned away from classes for the same age restricted reason. absolutely appalled!!! Just my 2c rant today.....
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. My 10 yo would be totally capable of doing the local YMCA's water aerobics class, but she can't join because she's under 14. SHM! why not let her learn healthy workouts in a fun group, with her Gummy, Aunt, and Cousin? Insurance. Sigh.
  • fruitlooper
    fruitlooper Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old, and we are always exercising together, he just doesn't know it. He rides his bike or scooter while I jog, and we go on a lot of hikes now that the weather is nice.
  • _KrisMarie_
    _KrisMarie_ Posts: 146
    Options
    I've been taking my 6-year-old daughter with me to the rock climbing gym since she was 2 years old. She's not with me every time, but we have fun when she does go. We also go on walks together, though for her it's a journey to collect bugs and try to catch lizards, not exercise. :smile: