Calling all couch diagnosticians!

Options
Ok, so monday during my run my right heal started really hurting. Finished my run, got home did the whole RICE thing etc. noticed as I was getting ready for bed that the whole ankle was huge, but it was back down for the most part by the morning. Tuesday heal still hurting so I stayed off of it and used the bike instead, continued with RICE. It's now friday, the heal feels "better" until I'm ready to head to the gym. As soon as I start walking towards the gym, it starts hurting. To the point that I'm limping on it. It doesn't hurt to put weight on it, only hurts when I roll through and push off. Also noticed that part of my foot is still looking pretty swollen, see picture below. Back at home, pain goes away again, and the heel feels fine.....

th_img_12451_zps23c038a2.jpg

There was no injury that I can think of. The pain is down inside the heel and feels mostly like a bad bone bruise. My main concern is I don't want to make it worse, but too much more of the stationary bike and I might just lose my mind. I'm a runner, it's the only kind of cardio I can really stick with and push myself. Being off of my foot too much longer is going to drive me NUTS! Any thoughts? I'll go to a doctor if it seems like I've actually done something bad, but 9 times out of 10 they just tell me to keep doing what I'm already doing and I feel like I've just wasted my time and money.....

edit: :angry: :angry: :mad: :mad: :mad: :explode: damn pictures!

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Couch-001a2.jpg

??
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Couch-001a2.jpg

??

Lol, it's like a couch quarterback, but they like to diagnose injuries and illnesses instead of play running strategies...
  • bigdaddyrobb
    bigdaddyrobb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you strained your plantar fascia ligament that runs across the bottom of your foot. Keep up with the RICE treatment.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ok, so monday during my run my right heal started really hurting. Finished my run, got home did the whole RICE thing etc. noticed as I was getting ready for bed that the whole ankle was huge, but it was back down for the most part by the morning. Tuesday heal still hurting so I stayed off of it and used the bike instead, continued with RICE. It's now friday, the heal feels "better" until I'm ready to head to the gym. As soon as I start walking towards the gym, it starts hurting. To the point that I'm limping on it. It doesn't hurt to put weight on it, only hurts when I roll through and push off. Also noticed that part of my foot is still looking pretty swollen, see picture below. Back at home, pain goes away again, and the heel feels fine.....

th_img_12451_zps23c038a2.jpg

There was no injury that I can think of. The pain is down inside the heel and feels mostly like a bad bone bruise. My main concern is I don't want to make it worse, but too much more of the stationary bike and I might just lose my mind. I'm a runner, it's the only kind of cardio I can really stick with and push myself. Being off of my foot too much longer is going to drive me NUTS! Any thoughts? I'll go to a doctor if it seems like I've actually done something bad, but 9 times out of 10 they just tell me to keep doing what I'm already doing and I feel like I've just wasted my time and money.....

edit: :angry: :angry: :mad: :mad: :mad: :explode: damn pictures!

Sounds like it could be a heel spur but a visit to a sports medicine doc would probably be a good idea. Call the phys ed department of a local university and they will likely be able to recommend someone to you. In the mean time, here is an article from a medical website about heel spurs and plantar fasciitis (the two tend to go together in runners--along with Achilles tendonitis). http://www.medicinenet.com/heel_spurs/article.htm#what_is_a_heel_spur_what_are_symptoms_of_a_heel_spur

ETA: If you toddle around that website, I believe there is some suggested treatments as well. Good luck! :smile:
  • TinyChestnut
    Options
    I would keep up ice, and elevation. Try to stay off the foot as much as possible as these things can take some time to heal. If you aren't feeling any better after one week s/p the injury it would be time to consider consulting with an MD about incase of there being a fracture somewhere. :) Feel better. (source, I am an nurse)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Ok, clarification the pain spot isn't on the bottom of my foot. The pain seems to be in the fleshy part above the calcaneus bone, in front of the achilles. It's definity not plantar or tendinitis (sp?) I've had both, and it's not pulling on either the tendon or the fascia. The pain is most pronounced when I have a pointed toe and then push down with my toes, but I can do calf raises and have no pain. I don't know, it's just really odd....
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Bump

Just wondering if anyone has had an injury in this area before. Didn't really think you COULD injure that area, there's not really anything there.....

Closest thing I've been able to find is bursitis...