What is your experience with 30 Day Shred?

Options
Hey guys

I have the 30 day shred, today is labor day and the store is closed so I cant get dumbbells so looks like ill wait until tomorrow to start the video. Just wanted some input/advice/motivation etc!

Replies

• dward843
    Options
    If that's the one from Jillian Michaels just be careful on how you exercise. I tried it for a week before I tore my miniscus. I was being a little ambitious.
  • mnec
    mnec Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh - thanks for the advice. It is the one from Jillian.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i've just ordered this as a gift to myself for reaching my first goal - do i need to buy weights?

i thought seeing as the nights are drawing in now it might be a good idea for when i cant get to the gym :smile:
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love it! I tend to follow Anita (I think she's the "adapted" one...whoever is on the right as you look at the screen shot of all 3) for the *slightly* easier workout. I lost about 12 pounds my first time through. Haven't made it a full 30 days since - I tend to get exercise ADD and jump around, plus I got into running.

I did 10 days per level. Level 1 is cool. I hate level 2 with a passion. Level 3 is definitely the most challenging, but for me it's the most fun.

Good luck!!
  • jesse14472
    Options
    I am on Level 2/day 4. Jillian doesn't have you stretch out before the workout, but I take a few minutes to strectch my calf muscles, shins and knee area. Level 1 can be very hard on your knees for about the first 3-4 days, but I found that if I stretched out it was soooo much better and my knees didn't really hurt afterwards. Otherwise, I like it and it really is a great workout. Keep it up and by day 5-7 you'll really notice a difference in your endurance. Don't get discouraged if you don't drop weight right away. The general concensus is that your muscles will retain water for up to 2 weeks when doing intense cardio. I have only lost a couple pounds, but I am really starting to lose the inches. Good luck!
  • mnec
    mnec Posts: 4
    Options
    :) Thanks! Ill probably be following Anita as well - I have a feeling this is going to kick my butt.

As for the weights, the girls in the video use dumbbells (I read online that they use 5lb ones in the video, but you can start with 3lb and work your way up.) Ill just be buying 2-3lb dumbbells.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i've just ordered this as a gift to myself for reaching my first goal - do i need to buy weights?

i thought seeing as the nights are drawing in now it might be a good idea for when i cant get to the gym :smile:

Yeah. I use 3 pound weights. I think they recommend 3-5 pounders.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I like it but I tell everyone that starts to definitely warm up much more than Jillian has you do. I did it the first time and the next day I couldn't move. I left it alone for a month, went back to it with more warm ups and wasn't nearly as sore.
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I dont know what it is,but if it works ill try it,is it gotten at the store in extercise section?
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I love 30 Day Shred!!! I've been using it since January about 3 times a week. It's a kick butt workout, but if you stick with it you'll definitely see results. She has a new Shred DVD that is being released this week - I can't wait to get it.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have been using it for 4 days now (today will be the 5th). You do need hand weights, start out light and work your way up to heavier ones. You do need to stretch more before starting. My advice is DON'T GIVE UP. The first few days are killers. The exercises are very easy, in and of themselves, but the routine is challenging - at least it is for me (I am 56 years old and down to 172 lbs, 5'6" tall - with arthritis in both knees). If I can do this routine, I think anyone can. I do have to modify the push-ups and do them against a wall instead of on the floor - my knees can't take the floor stuff. I nearly made it all the way through the routine last night, but had to break for a few seconds on the bicycle crunches. I also don't think she stretches enough at the end - so you might consider doing more of that before quitting. All in all, though, it is an excellent work out for 20 minutes - well worth the money for the DVD. I am recommending it to whomever will listen, because I have seen the results in just 4 days. I think I may even make it all the way through the routine tonight without having to quit - we will see. LOL.

Vickie
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It's TOUGH but totally worth it, especially if you are pressed for time. I lost 2 pant sizes in the first 20 days, no joke! Stick with it. I had had a couple of false starts previously then something just clicked. I didn't stop. You really feel a sense of accomplishment finishing the 30 days or finishing all three levels if you are spreading them out.

I hadn't really thought about it until reading the other posts in this thread, but I agree, she does not stretch enough. Don't think that just because she stops at the end that you have too. Those cool downs always left me wanting more.
  • lizzy755
    Options
    I'm only on day 2 but I think it's great already. I can really feel it working on my legs!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I just bought the video on ebay and it showed up this weekend, gonna give it a go possibly Friday once I weigh in and measure :)
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a question.. are there any resting days?
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I already responded to this question a few days ago. But here it goes again in a nut shell: I did a full 30 days in January 2009. Pros: I was toned, had more stamina than before. Cons: I felt beaten, sore, lost the fun of it on level 3, had heart palpitations the following month. I quit after 30 days because I didn't loose weight from exercise alone - I wasn't dieting either. I thought there has has to be a better way to get in shape that is not so painful and grueling. So I tried other DVDs including a boot camp that was not necessarily easy but more forgiving.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options

Thats what im wondering. I have done 2 days in a row and its KILLING me. I know I need to push through the pain, but I dont want to get to the point where I seriously cant move to do ANY exersize, that would be bad. I do a lot of yoga & pilates and even after a good yoga session to stretch out my muscles I am still really sore.
    Im thinking of doing it 6 days a week with 1 off OR every other day, I havent decided .
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Thats what im wondering. I have done 2 days in a row and its KILLING me. I know I need to push through the pain, but I dont want to get to the point where I seriously cant move to do ANY exersize, that would be bad. I do a lot of yoga & pilates and even after a good yoga session to stretch out my muscles I am still really sore.
    Im thinking of doing it 6 days a week with 1 off OR every other day, I havent decided .

What Yoga DVDs are you using...I need ones that are good for streching and helping to loosen up my muscles.
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's TOUGH but totally worth it, especially if you are pressed for time. I lost 2 pant sizes in the first 20 days, no joke! Stick with it. I had had a couple of false starts previously then something just clicked. I didn't stop. You really feel a sense of accomplishment finishing the 30 days or finishing all three levels if you are spreading them out.

I hadn't really thought about it until reading the other posts in this thread, but I agree, she does not stretch enough. Don't think that just because she stops at the end that you have too. Those cool downs always left me wanting more.

Are Level 2 and 3 harder, or just different moves? Could you do level 1, 2 3 for day 1 ,2 3 then rotate that way?
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options

You don't have to do it every day. I only use it about 3 times a week and I'm still losing weight.