Does anyone weight themselves everyday?

Options

Replies

• asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It helps keep me on track and gives me more insight into what's going on inside my body and how my body reacts to things like muscle soreness, hormones, and high sodium levels.
    It's fine to weigh yourself every day as long as you can handle it mentally.
    Just be prepared to see fluctuations. Sometimes you'll lose, sometimes you'll stay the same, and sometimes you'll gain... and it's all perfectly normal. As long as you're okay with that, it's all good.

^^ this.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do, but just as a way to keep myself in check. If I have a "bad" day or two, I just want to be able to tell myself that it's OK if I gain a little bit back after going to baseball games two nights in a row, or meeting up with friends for lunch. Seeing the small spikes up remind me that I need to work a little harder on the other days, and I don't get as discouraged as I used to when I started weighing myself every day.

Like most things, how often you weigh yourself comes down to a personal preference. I make sure I weigh-in on the 1st of every month, and that's the one that really counts--as long as the number is less than the month before, I'm OK (until I hit my goal, then I'll re-evaluate everything).
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessive ..so yes. Morning and evening ..
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do. It's helps me keep going in the right direction. My mom told me she does as well to stay motivated and she has lost 50 lbs already!

^^^This.

I do weigh everyday. I've found that when I don't I lose track and start to gain.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Every day for me! In December/January I had the flu really bad for 6 weeks, I think in 6 weeks I ate one sleeve of saltines and some juice....seriously sick! I didn't bother weighing as I didn't care and I was sure I was losing because of the lack of food. I GAINED 17 POUNDS in 6 weeks without eating hardly anything. I will never go a day without weighing anymore (unless I'm traveling and a scale isn't around). It just keeps me on track each day to know how much harder I have to push to keep the weight off and lose more.
    Kudos to those that don't need to but it just doesn't work for me. I've always gained when not watching the numbers daily.
  • SweetMary16
    Options
    I do, just so I can know how I'm doing but I enter my weight like once or twice a week. Because I know everyday brings about a small change that I have no control over. But it's nice to be surprised with a pound lost, but if it's a pound gained I just shrug it off until my official weighing day :)
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I weighed every single day for close to 2 years while losing most of my pounds. I liked seeing the fluctuations, although sometimes it was frustrating. It's a learning experience, let's put it that way! These days I'll occasionally skip weighing for a week or so, but weighing every day is what has always kept me in line.
  • Ally_93
    Ally_93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nah because weight fluctuates everyday, only weigh myself the same time same day each week then it's more accurate.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Sometimes....
    It does my head in so I try not to.
  • bridgitfagan
    Options
    First, I would like to wish everyone good louck reaching their goals! And to say how impressed I am at the commitment!!

I weighed everyday for about a month and was very excited the first couple of weeks at the loss I saw, then the weight did not change. I was doing some exercising and was building muscle, but the weight loss was what I was looking for and it became very frustrating.

Frustration = desire to eat the frustration away...not good.

Weighing once a week is so much better for me!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do most days. It goes up and down just like if I weighed myself once a week. If I notice it staying up for several days then I can adjust my diet and activity.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I will weight myself probably daily for the next year or 50 pounds which ever comes first. Then I will switch to maybe every other day so I'm not going cold turkey on weigh ins. Then to every 3 days or so but a maximum of 2x a week. Then once a week. That is also about when I am going to figure out my new goal weight. There is no way for me to predict that right now.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What kind of harm could there be? I weigh myself every day, and have recorded it every day for the last 2+ years. My weight goes up and down up to 5 pounds a day, it's pretty interesting really. But when graphed in the reports on MFP, you can see the gradual downward trend.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nah because weight fluctuates everyday, only weigh myself the same time same day each week then it's more accurate.

Why, does your weight not fluctuate on that day of the week, each week? ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have been astonished at the scale lately. It's barely budged in the last few months.

Yet my belly keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Crazy stuff.

Scale weight is a useless metric. How much can you deadlift?
  • Mysis1
    Mysis1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do, but that's because I'm a stats *kitten*. You know the whole "introvert that's obsessed with details"? That's me. So I like finding the trends and comparing the numbers.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I do. I work nights and the days I work change every week - so I never know which day, I will lose weight.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I do, twice a day actually....at least....before bed and in the morning. I like the data it gives me. I'm not worried about the number as much as I am about the trending over time. The fluctuations up and down up and down don't bother me. If you can't handle seeing a "gain" of 4-8 lbs in a day or over the course of a day that is more in reality water weight, food, etc...then go for it. However, if the ups and downs are going to drive you nuts, then don't.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh every day because I list my weight as what the average of the past 7 days is. It's what was recommended by the authors of the way of eating that I follow, and it has really helped me for those weeks when it shows me I did have a loss - albeit sometimes as small as 1/4 of a lb.

I'm used to seeing the up and down fluctuations, all that matters to me is the average at the end of the week, and even more so, how my clothes are fitting. I've had my body change shape without a lot of change in weight initially, then I'll see a sudden whoosh. Love the whooshes!
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sometimes....
    It does my head in so I try not to.

me too. but i'm wondering if doing it would end up being helpful even though it makes me nuts.