Your favourite black bean recipes

Options

Replies

• GavanB
    GavanB Posts: 6
    Options
    Some of these recipes sound fantastic, will definitely be trying some this week. Thanks to all who posted.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump! Have a bag of black beans just waiting to be used. Thanks for all the ideas!
  • wlesliek
    wlesliek Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been looking for a good black bean brownie recipe...I might try both. I made chick pea brownies last week, I was not a fan!:sick:
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Once you have your beans soft (per all the previous soaking and rinsing and slow cooking instructions MAKE THE BLACK BEAN SOUP RECIPE FROM THE MOOSEWOOD COOKBOOK and yes use the optional orange juice
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is by far the MOST delicious way to enjoy black beans. The recipe is from Three Guys from Miami, and it's a Cuban dish. Here's the link: http://icuban.com/food/moros_y_cristianos.html.

For those who don't want to use the link, here's the recipe:

Moros y Cristianos – Black Beans and Rice Dish
    By Three Guys From Miami

Prep time: 20 minutes*
    Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes*
    Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes *
    Yield: 8 servings**

Cuban-style black beans cooked with rice.

INGREDIENTS:

1 & 1/2 cups black beans, dried
    1/4 cup olive oil for sautéing
    2 & 1/2 cups onion, diced
    2 & 1/2 cups green pepper, seeded and diced
    4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
    3 teaspoons cumin, ground
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 bay leaf
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    4 &1/2 cups chicken stock
    3 cups long grain white rice
    Cover the dry beans with about four cups water in a two-quart saucepan. DON'T add any salt yet! Bring to a boil, and boil for three minutes. Remove from the heat and let it stand, covered for one hour.

Drain and rinse the beans. Add enough water to cover once again and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 40 to 50 minutes. Drain.

Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear.

Use a large, eight-quart covered stockpot. Sauté the onion and green pepper in the olive oil until tender. Add the garlic, and sauté another minute or two. Add the tomato paste, black beans, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, and vinegar. Cook for about five minutes, stirring gently.

Add the chicken stock and the rinsed rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes – until the rice is fully cooked.

Finally, adjust the seasonings by adding salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf. Serve Hot.

For an added treat: Drizzle some olive oil (don't be stingy!) over the rice in the pot, and fluff cooked rice gently with a fork.

If plating the rice as a side dish, drizzle a little olive oil over individual servings and garnish with some parsley or cilantro.

* indicates cooking or prep time given is significantly different when I'm doing it.

** A serving in this context means that's all you'll eat for the meal. If you use it as a side, and I do, then you'll find that 1/4 of a serving will be more realistic for entering it on MFP.

I've saved this recipe in the recipe feature and just added servings as I've eaten.
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just made this one. Super yummy so thanks!!
    Chilled black bean salad! Sooo delicious in the summer. I usually eat a cup of it (about 200 calories) with a can of tuna or salmon for lunch. This recipe makes a ton of it, so you'd probably want to halve it. I used canned beans, but you can just cook the beans and throw them in.

2 15oz cans black beans (low sodium)
    2 15oz cans kidney beans (low sodium)
    1 15oz can corn
    1 7oz can corn (I didn’t want toooo much corn!)
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 small container of cherry tomatoes
    1 avocado
    1 cup loosely chopped cilantro
    ½ red onion
    Salt to taste (I added about 3 tsp)
    Chili powder to taste (also about 3 tsp)
    Juice from 3 limes

Drain most of the juice from the beans, but leave a little for flavor. Drain all the juice from the corn. Chop up the peppers and onion finely, dice the avocado, halve the tomatoes (or however you want to prepare them, the recipe is completely flexible). Then just mix everything together and chill for a couple hours before serving.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love black beans and cannot seem to find them anywhere dry, any suggestions? I am in Cincinnati Ohio btw, I buy them canned now but the sodium kills me!
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Once you soak/cook them (I use canned black beans, so I'm not sure how you like to get them to the edible stage), prepare this:

1 Red onion, finely diced
    1 Green & 1 Red bell pepper, diced
    1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar
    2 TBSP Honey
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    Black Beans (amount is up to you)
    1 Papaya, seeded and diced
    1 Avocado, diced (optional)
    1 Jalepeno, seeded and minced (optional)

This makes a delicious cold salad with very few calories (especially if you leave out the avocado, but I love me some avocado). I like to eat a bowl of this as a meal.
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump!! i have never tried cooking with black beans, but really want to! thank you for this post!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use dry black beans too. Cook the beans first. Add fat free chicken broth, precooked ground turkey & 1 can of diced Italian tomatoes, season with salt, pepper. I put it over brown rice but you can use white.

You can freeze this too for another meal.
  • Hollabauler
    Hollabauler Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but a friend of mine once made some black bean hummus, and it was delicious!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Cuban style black beans are amazing. You can find tons of recipes online, but this is a pretty basic one.

http://www.eatliverun.com/cuban-black-beans/

Bump!
  • sayafeh
    sayafeh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    omgsh. bump. Loving all these black bean recipes!
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Y'all!
    I totally forgot two of the main ingredients!

Cilantro (a lot!)
    Lime Juice (I squeeze about two limes worth!)

Paula

It should be this:

1 Red onion, finely diced
    1 Green & 1 Red bell pepper, diced
    1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar
    2 TBSP Honey
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    Black Beans (amount is up to you)
    1 Papaya, seeded and diced
    Juice of 2 limes
    Cilantro (to taste - I use about 1/4 cup of leaves)
    1 Avocado, diced (optional)
    1 Jalepeno, seeded and minced (optional)

This makes a delicious cold salad with very few calories (especially if you leave out the avocado, but I love me some avocado). I like to eat a bowl of this as a meal.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump - to try them all! thanks :flowerforyou:
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Make the beans as per usual

add:

2 cups corn
    1 bell pepper
    smidgeon of onion
    zesty italian dressing for taste (don't over do it)

use tostitos scoops and eat as is for an awesome salsa. I also mix this salsa in my eggs or in a veggie loaded wrap.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump - so many good recipe ideas here! :heart: