What should my net calorie be at?

Options
I've lost 17 lbs since june, going to gym almost every day and I was just wondering what my net calorie should be? Sometimes I eat 1000ish... which is pretty low or im just putting the foods wrong but I'm not hungry sometimes. Sometimes I eat (net - exercise included) 1600, sometimes 1300. But overall, I try to get under 1800 calories a day. During my time at the gym, I usually do 30 minute cardio (usually lose around 350-435 calories) and strength training(i don't really put it in my diary cause it doesn't subtract from the net calories). I guess my question is, is 1800 net calories a good number? Should I go lower, higher, stay the same?

Thank you

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    did you input your stats into the MFP program? It will give you a good ballpark to aim at.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    1800 calories is minimum net intake for a male, 1200 calories is minimum for females.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks! But The problem is, I'm not exactly hungry when I eat less than 1800
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Thanks! But The problem is, I'm not exactly hungry when I eat less than 1800
    hunger isn't a sign of getting what you need, though.
    Just eat real food. Not "diet" food.

scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

go there. The estimates that MFP gives can be skewed.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Crap haha, I just used the website and its roughly around the same as the recommended for mfp. I don't exactly have diet foods haha, it's just hard to eat when I'm not hungry though but thank you! I will try to eat a bit more. And should really change my goal from 1600.... LOL
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Crap haha, I just used the website and its roughly around the same as the recommended for mfp. I don't exactly have diet foods haha, it's just hard to eat when I'm not hungry though but thank you! I will try to eat a bit more. And should really change my goal from 1600.... LOL

keep in mind, even the best of these websites are just going to be estimates. Pick a number. Stick with it for 4-6 weeks. Log accurately and reassess at the end of the 6 weeks. If you're losing too fast, bump it up. Not losing/Not Gaining? Welcome to maintenance. Gaining? Drop it.

Use calorie/nutrient dense foods. Nuts, oils.. almonds.. butter.. avocado, etc. More calories for lesser amounts. That way, you aren't stuffed.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I know right. When I workout i usually don't feel hungry at all but I have to force food down my throat because I know that my body needs it. I don't over do it because I'd through up (involuntarily).
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would shoot for the 1800 calories (net) and if you're not that hungry eat higher calorie items like peanut butter or nuts, they will stick with you throughout the day.

Normal weight loss recommendation is 2 lbs a week, you are way past that at 17 for 6 weeks or less, so probably losing fpretty fast.

You want to be sure in your diary you are counting everything, maybe have it open for friends to help or look at theirs to see what others are eating for ideas.

It's a process, and will take time to get it just right. Good luck.