where?are you invisible too?

Options
elisa123gal
elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
Having been a woman who has been thin..i notice what I call "becoming invisible." When ever I gain weight, I notice that I fall off the radar of my fellow man.

This is a funny example... but, .when I gained the 20 or so pounds I am losing .. I noticed that when I walked into Sephora cosmetics store, i no longer was bombarded with clerks there asking me for help. I told my husband.. when I walk into the store and get asked for help.. I know I'm getting somewhere.

Well, yesterday I went in...and five clerks hounded me..."may I help you?..."may I help you?" ..... I was like? "who me?" lol

Have any of you had the same kind of thing happen.

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Having been a woman who has been thin..i notice what I call "becoming invisible." When ever I gain weight, I notice that I fall off the radar of my fellow man.

This is a funny example... but, .when I gained the 20 or so pounds I am losing .. I noticed that when I walked into Sephora cosmetics store, i no longer was bombarded with clerks there asking me for help. I told my husband.. when I walk into the store and get asked for help.. I know I'm getting somewhere.

Well, yesterday I went in...and five clerks hounded me..."may I help you?..."may I help you?" ..... I was like? "who me?" lol

Have any of you had the same kind of thing happen.

Strange isn't it, I have had the same when I was heavier, getting disregarded and ignored.
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were actually talking about this recently. He commented since he lost 40kgs (88lbs) that the service clerks in the trendy clothes stores are MUCH more helpful, and are suggesting items to him etc. He said it annoyed him a bit, as he has always liked their clothes but now he's a middle of the road sizing for them, they treat him differently.

I hadn't really paid much mind (as I don't talk to them when I'm in there doing my own thing), but when we went in over the weekend, I've lost 45kgs (99lbs) the lady was ULTRA helpful, right into my business, asking me if i'm okay, suggesting clothes.. checking on me and asking a LOT of questions. I was torn between offended and amused.

It is very interesting to see how people interact with you as you continue to change.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I never was thin so... I never was visible. Fat seems to have invisibility powers. :laugh:

People ignore me. It's like being seen with a fat person makes them look as bad as it can. For men it's worse... and I'm not talking about the romantic scene. Colleagues and coworkers along the years have ignored me over the years in proffesional related things. Ok, you may be attracted by me... but at least treat me like a human being, not a chair. I know looks matter, but I still have to live on this planet.
    Clerks ignore me (I am happy when they ignore because sometimes they act like I am in the store for stealing). Clerks look at me funny if I buy beauty products, especially when I buy expensive stuff.

It's a perpetual fairy tale syndrome. Only the slim and the good looking must be nice. I am fat... surely must be the bad ugly sister, who does not know how to have fun and must be broken.

Well... this has a good side. I really appreciate the people in my life that really see me. That love me and don't act like being fat is the most disgusting thing.
    And I know that the attention I slowly gain by slowly losing it's just fake and superficial.
  • ellenvmelon
    Options
    It's a bit bizarre eh. It shouldn't be that way, we should all be 'seen' but it's a sad fact that if you're bigger you're more likely to be ignored.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I think its worse when people you 'know' come out of the woodworks. People from highschool or college or that friend of a friend who never gave you a second glance.

Ohhhh you wanna comment on my facebook all the time?
    Ohhhh you wanna invite me to a get together now?
    Ohhhh you wanna obviously just be interested in me now that I have a 'hot body'

NO! You ignored me at my worst, you do not get to shower me with affection at my best.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    The more attention that I have been getting ... is from gym sales or like herbalife sales on the streets :grumble:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that in clothing stores, now that I look like they obviously have my size.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day people actually comment and like the pictures I post on Facebook which never happened when I was heavier.
  • bigjoost
    bigjoost Posts: 53
    Options
    I never was thin so... I never was visible. Fat seems to have invisibility powers. :laugh:

People ignore me. It's like being seen with a fat person makes them look as bad as it can. For men it's worse... and I'm not talking about the romantic scene. Colleagues and coworkers along the years have ignored me over the years in proffesional related things. Ok, you may be attracted by me... but at least treat me like a human being, not a chair. I know looks matter, but I still have to live on this planet.
    Clerks ignore me (I am happy when they ignore because sometimes they act like I am in the store for stealing). Clerks look at me funny if I buy beauty products, especially when I buy expensive stuff.

It's a perpetual fairy tale syndrome. Only the slim and the good looking must be nice. I am fat... surely must be the bad ugly sister, who does not know how to have fun and must be broken.

Well... this has a good side. I really appreciate the people in my life that really see me. That love me and don't act like being fat is the most disgusting thing.
    And I know that the attention I slowly gain by slowly losing it's just fake and superficial.

Hey I just wanna say that people are shallow a**holes. Not everybody is like them and the jokes on them on life in general. I am not great with words but I just want to put it out there that there are good people too. Sorry you are having such a rough time with it.

And to contribute to the topic as well: as a man I feel the same. I am getting more and more fit lately and can really feel people starting to look. I tend to not look back although sometimes I catch a glimpse. Drove my bike a couple days ago and saw girl that I know is at my school but never had any contact with. Normally she wouldn't even see me but I was in gym attire and lost about 10 kg (22 lbs) and I could really see the shock on her face as I tried to figure out how I knew her. Pretty awesome feeling.
  • seren7189
    seren7189 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have actually been thinking about that lately... before I put on 50lbs I did get more attention. I remember one time going into a store to buy windshield wipers and not only did someone help me find them, but he installed them for free. When I was heavier, I could barely get anyone to even give me the time of day! Now that i'm down 44lbs, I see a huge difference. The other day I was at the hardware store and I could not get rid of this one guy from the flooring section! And this one lady in a clothing store practically chased me outta the plus size department and guided me over to the petites. I wonder if this is happening because of how I look, or how I feel... I'm a happier person now, with more confidence, and walk with my head held high.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    nope.. I haven't ´been much bigger ever, but when I was chubbier, I also had more boobs (like c+). I never got much attention to my boobs normally, but when they were bigger people stared at them a lot. it was very disturbing. some men even did the 'talking to your boobs' thing O.o that was very creepy for me, so happy they're not that size anymore :P invisible boobs!
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I had a friend in college who called me "big girl". Don't remember how this got started. I was heavier than a lot of girls, but I wasn't fat--just "thicker".. When I lost weight I could tell that it made her uncomfortable b/c I was thinner than her...ultimately we stopped being friends.
    I also felt that way with a friend recently. She teaches Zumba, and kept suggesting I try a class, but I got the feeling that she didn't really think that I would come. Maybe I was being paranoid, but I know that people treat you differently depending on your weight. I hope that I don't do that to people unconsciously...It is just so ingrained in our society that fat=lazy or worthless...It is really sad.
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent observation and I completely relate. When I was slender, store clerks were so helpful and now that I have gained weight, I have been ignored in some stores (not all by any means) and given subtle insults as well. It is a sad comment on our society, but at least we are not alone and we know enough not to do it to others. :)
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I remember walking into Abercrombie one time when I was in high school, cause they just put one into the mall where i did my school shopping and it sounded like something awesome was going on in there (much to my disappointment I've come to realize they are anti lights and pro ****ty music). The people behind the counter just kind of looked at me horrified. Makes you feel bad.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I remember walking into Abercrombie one time when I was in high school, cause they just put one into the mall where i did my school shopping and it sounded like something awesome was going on in there (much to my disappointment I've come to realize they are anti lights and pro ****ty music). The people behind the counter just kind of looked at me horrified. Makes you feel bad.
    I won't even buy their stuff used anymore after I found out about their attitude towards anyone over a size 10.
  • Bella20102010
    Bella20102010 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Totally get where you're coming from. My sister and I are polar opposites in the looks department. When we go somewhere together, it's like people fall all over themselves to help her. Me? Not so much.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a self confidence thing. I know when I feel better about myself, I tend to be a more open and receptive person generally, and it seems that strangers (store staff, folks on the street, etc.) respond positively to that even before I've spoken to them. When I don't feel good about myself, I've been told I exude a distinct "leave me alone" vibe, non-verbally, and people tend to leave me alone. It may not even be a conscious thing on your part or on the part of those around you. We humans are very attuned to body language and the vibes the people around us produce, even if we don't think about it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I get this at work.

I work in education across 27 different schools and have noticed teachers and admin staff much nicer and friendlier to me than last year.

It's kinda sickening, I'm the same person dammit!
  • MissyShelle776
    Options
    I used to be big, then I got really thin and now I'm working on losing about 25 lbs I have gained. I notice now that I've gained weight, I get the "full body eye scan" from other women. I HATE IT!!!

I also notice that my favorite clothing store, when I was thinner, they would meet me at the door and show me the new items and help me out. Now, I'm on my own. I also notice, now that I've gained weight, I"m a lot more bustier, so men tend to approach me differently. It's more about my boobs and *kitten* than anything else.

Oh well, it's all good. I'm doing what i need to be healthy and take care of myself. That includes who I am on the inside.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!