I want Ice Cream

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a trick for ice cream. Take frozen bananas and blend them to ice cream consistency with a food processor or hand blender. It's yummy, the texture is just like ice cream. You can add flavor such as strawberries or blueberries. Natural sugar, good fiber and vitamins and it kills your ice cream craving. Try it!

Or. You could eat the ice cream. You'll probably enjoy the ice cream more.
    I'd slice a fresh banana onto the ice cream, and top with chocolate syrup. :tongue: Although this time of year, my fave vanilla ice cream topper is a fresh sliced peach! Yum yum yum!
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a trick for ice cream. Take frozen bananas and blend them to ice cream consistency with a food processor or hand blender. It's yummy, the texture is just like ice cream. You can add flavor such as strawberries or blueberries. Natural sugar, good fiber and vitamins and it kills your ice cream craving. Try it!
    That sounds so good I am going to try it to night for dessert!!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I don't think there's a problem with enjoying some blended frozen fruit. It might be a good filler or dessert for when you don't want ice cream or you can't fit it in your calories/macros.

But if you can fit a portion of ice cream in, and you *want* to eat ice cream, there is no reason not to have it.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when people who don't understand calorie counting and IIFYM take it too far.

NO. Eating a pint of icecream will not have a good effect on your body because of all the other nutrient dense things you could be eating. You will still lose weight if you are consuming less total calories than your body's maintenance level, but this is not a good practise for physical and psychological health.

Calories are only the first step. What about macronutrients? (Proteins, fats, carbohydrates). Fibre? Micronutrients ("vitamins and minerals"). Water intake?

There is no such thing as good food and bad food, but there is such a thing as having a healthy diet. You can easily fit icecream into a healthy diet but come on, a pint of icecream has to be at least half your daily intake if not a lot more. How are you going to take care of the other stuff?

But I'm sure this is all a roll bread and I got caught again...
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

I'd slice a fresh banana onto the ice cream, and top with chocolate syrup. :tongue: Although this time of year, my fave vanilla ice cream topper is a fresh sliced peach! Yum yum yum!

I was thinking the same thing.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Just gotta throw something in. CHECK THE MACROS FOLKS. Just because it's frozen yogurt...it can have just as many calories, carbs and sugars than ice cream. Sometimes even more. I've seen more overweight people think it's fine to splurge on froyo because it's "yogurt" and "healthy" it's basically ice cream. Just saying. Eyes open.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I have no problems with dairy, eat greek yogurt on a pretty regular basis, and I've been trying to tell myself it fills the void, but one of my ultimate guilty pleasures has always been a super long, hot bath with a new book and ice cream. I've found a frozen yogurt I LOVE more than some of my favorite ice creams, but I've been too scared to eat it, thinking it could ruin everything. But I also fell into slightly disordered thinking, and I think being able to give myself a treat while still keeping my calories in the acceptable range can help with that.

This is me. No issues with dairy and try to eat the greek yogurt to replace my love for ice cream.

Please share what delicious frozen yogurt you found! I haven't found any I like better than real ice cream so far.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I want to try Heston Blumenthal's bacon and egg ice cream...

WHAT THE DEUCE??? WHERE IS THIS FINE SPECIMEN? :laugh:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream regularly. I confess I do eat more of it now because I'm in maintenance and can eat more calories than when I was in weight loss mode.

I absolutely do love to splurge every now and then. However, if I am going to eat something high in calories, I make sure it's something I absolutely love. Ice cream? Oh yes. Fried chicken wings? Feh. They don't taste bad, but they don't have the wow factor for me so they aren't worth it.

Just an example.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when people who don't understand calorie counting and IIFYM take it too far.

NO. Eating a pint of icecream will not have a good effect on your body because of all the other nutrient dense things you could be eating. You will still lose weight if you are consuming less total calories than your body's maintenance level, but this is not a good practise for physical and psychological health.

Calories are only the first step. What about macronutrients? (Proteins, fats, carbohydrates). Fibre? Micronutrients ("vitamins and minerals"). Water intake?

There is no such thing as good food and bad food, but there is such a thing as having a healthy diet. You can easily fit icecream into a healthy diet but come on, a pint of icecream has to be at least half your daily intake if not a lot more. How are you going to take care of the other stuff?

But I'm sure this is all a roll bread and I got caught again...

Read and then re-read the OP's post/ she stated there was plenty of room to hit her macros still.
    I understand the point you're making, but honestly if they can fit it in with their calories and macros (one day of missing micro's isn't going to kill anyone) then there really is no issue with eating a pint of icecream.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    If you want to try and find a substitute long term, buy an ice cream maker (I got one for less than £30) and experiment with frozen yoghurt. I mix natural set yoghurt with blended blueberries and a teaspoon of sugar free jelly mix and about 3 tablespoons of water. Throw some almonds over the top and enjoy! Nothing wrong with anything in moderation, but if you can find a good substitute that you like the taste of then you can enjoy it all the same with less guilt!!
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I want to try Heston Blumenthal's bacon and egg ice cream...

WHAT THE DEUCE??? WHERE IS THIS FINE SPECIMEN? :laugh:

He's a chef in the UK and you can get it at his restaurant. The end of the set menu was a bowl of Heston cornflakes (which come in a little box) which are made of parsnip and come with parsnip milk, weird but nice, then a sweet fry up which includes bacon and egg ice cream made to look like scrambled eggs, a rasher of bacon which from memory wasn't bacon and lots of other weird and wondurful things. Sadly the menu has changed :-(

http://www.thefatduck.co.uk/
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I d o it all the time
    eat what you want exercise it off
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Go for it. My only suggestion is do it earlier in the day since you're more active than you would be in the evening absent some form of exercise. That way any negative consequences are mitigated by activity.

And as others have said, watch the macros. One way to help is to earn the ice cream by walking or some other form of exercise. For example if I want ice cream, I have to go to the college campus' dairy store to get it because it is about a 4-5 mile walk round trip from my house so chances are even if I got a triple scoop I will burn it off before I get home.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If eating a pint of ice cream (technically frozen yogurt) fits into my daily calories, leaving lots left over to properly fill my macros and everything, is there any reason I shouldn't?

You should eat it and enjoy it. The only way you shouldn't eat it is if it would set you up psychologically to binge. If you are feeling like you can't handle it, don't indulge, but if you can, then go for it!
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    No reason I can think of. Eat it!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only person who looked in OP's diary so far and clicked back a couple of weeks...

I do not think this is a serious question or a real account.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream, burgers, fries, drink wine, beer, mixed drinks, cookies, cake, pizza - it fits in my day, I enjoy it, I eat it. This is my lifestyle, not a restrictive, temporary diet. I'm not quitting any of these foods for the rest of my life. I'm not eating them every single day, either, but I enjoy them often, and am losing the fat and weight. :drinker:

OH YES! If I cannot enjoy the things that I love, what's the point? Within reason, we can all have the fun stuff!!!

Had a wonderful, huge burger yesterday..........after helping a friend cater an outdoor, reunion bbq, I earned that damn thing, and enjoyed EVERY bite!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I don't think there's a problem with enjoying some blended frozen fruit. It might be a good filler or dessert for when you don't want ice cream or you can't fit it in your calories/macros.

But if you can fit a portion of ice cream in, and you *want* to eat ice cream, there is no reason not to have it.

I think I'm irrational on this subject because I hate bananas. Every time I see "frozen banana instead of ice cream" my vision goes green and I hulk out.

If the suggestion had been some tasty frozen grapes or a delicious chilled peach I woulda been on board.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

If the suggestion had been some tasty frozen grapes or a delicious chilled peach I woulda been on board.
    Peaches and ice cream - that's what I'm sayin'!! :love: