planet fitness or golds gym

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I think whierd means that his normal gym is adding a large functional fitness area, not that it's turning into a crossfit box.

Yeah, the new gym that I am looking at is currently remodeling and adding what they are calling a "crossfit area". No additional charge to use it.

Oh sweet! Lucky!!

And the trainer there offered me a membership for $150 for 15 months with the $150/year being locked in after that point. :D

So a $150 for the whole year for the gym and crossfit...or 150/month with a 1 year contract?

$150 is for the whole year.

Dddddddddaaaaammmmmnn!!!!!!!!!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I think whierd means that his normal gym is adding a large functional fitness area, not that it's turning into a crossfit box.

Yeah, the new gym that I am looking at is currently remodeling and adding what they are calling a "crossfit area". No additional charge to use it.

Oh sweet! Lucky!!

And the trainer there offered me a membership for $150 for 15 months with the $150/year being locked in after that point. :D

So a $150 for the whole year for the gym and crossfit...or 150/month with a 1 year contract?

IKR?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Oh sweet! Lucky!!

IKR?

tumblr_lw6n9aQvcZ1qkz14h.gif
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have been with Gold's for almost a year now. I have had a great experience with them. I definitely know I made the right decision when I chose them over the YMCA. My gold's is 24 hours through the week and open until 8 on the weekend. I have 2 locations soon to be three locations that I have access too. Gold's has a lot to offer. But honestly I think the best decision for you is to see if both do a trail day pass and see what gym you prefer.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I go to Golds Gym... I love it.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you want gains, don't go to PF
  • singlemamma
    Options
    Try finding an ANYTIME GYM
    they're open 24/7 and none of the other members look like theyre on steroids. :)
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    In my area there were a lot more gyms available than I realized. I go to my a fitness center through my local hospital - it has a pool and several different types of machines and I feel very comfortable there.

But my son on the other hand wanted something different, younger, etc. (He's 21). So together we started googling information on gyms in our area. He wanted one that offered cross fit as part of the work out.

Anyway we discovered 4 in the immediate area, none of them were major chains, they are pretty much local to Ohio. He was able to go to a different one each week for a month to try them for free before settling in on one that he liked the best.

So my advice is - don't decide too quickly, go try each of them out, and see how you feel before you make any type of commitment.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    they're open 24/7 and none of the other members look like theyre on steroids. :)

There's nothing wrong with being a bodybuilder
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Wow. Body shame much? Nothing wrong with being or looking like a body builder...and also, that's a huge insult to those that work hard shaping their bodies naturally. Ugh. :angry:
  • bethyylovee
    bethyylovee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness for these reasons:

-The price.

-The staff is 100% genuine with you. They all care a lot and want to help you.

-I have a little routine that I stick to that lasts about two hours and I can just go back and fourth from the machines I need without waiting for someone to get off.

-I ALWAYS see the customers and staff members cleaning the equipment, never seen anyone not do that.

-The hours, I can come and go as I please at anytime I want.

-The people who work out there are so friendly. They make conversation with you if you look like you're struggling, it's like a little community.

-Free massage chairs and hydro beds. They're PERFECT to cool down after working out. The chairs are so relaxing and so are the bed. They also have tanning, but I don't tan.

-I'm a beginner. I need to be in a place where I'm comfortable and feel supported. I went to Gold's ONCE and was so humiliated that I'll never step foot on a premises of theirs ever again.

Things I DON'T go for:

-FREE PIZZA!?!?! WHAT??! Here I am trying to get in shape and they have free pizza and bagels and tootsie rolls! Heck to the no. Just cause I'm big doesn't mean I want to eat pizza after I've spent all this time working on my body.

-No lunk zone? It's supposed to be judgement free...so doesn't that mean for EVERYONE? I don't care if someone is dropping weights or grunting. Now, I do care if someone is blatantly staring t me and being rude, but I'm not going to sound off an alarm to draw more attention to it.

The location I go to is wonderful, and I feel right at home. I plan to stay for a long time. :)
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Geesh!!! WTF with people having a problem with pizza, bagels and Tootsie Rolls at PF. Are they shoving that stuff down your throat??? Damn, just walk past it. If you can't, then it's your fault for eating it. And seriously, one slice isn't going to kill you. It reminds me of people blaming McDonald's for getting them fat. haha!!!
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My opinion, especially if you have a crazy schedule is one of the beachbody programs. I joined a gym and was just kind of lost in there. I ended up canceling the subscription and buying p90x. Then I had an actual routine and goal. Loved the results!!! Doing Combat now.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I heard you can't even deadlift at planet fitness. :noway: As Liz Lemon would say, "That's a deal-breaker!"

I'd take my money, get on Craigslist and buy a used power rack. Oh wait, I did that. I also have kick-*kitten* world-class gym facilities right across the street from my work, so I never have an excuse not to work out. (which sometimes sucks-- just kidding!)
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Geesh!!! WTF with people having a problem with pizza, bagels and Tootsie Rolls at PF. Are they shoving that stuff down your throat??? Damn, just walk past it. If you can't, then it's your fault for eating it. And seriously, one slice isn't going to kill you. It reminds me of people blaming McDonald's for getting them fat. haha!!!

Dude. It's weird.
    It's almost like they want people to stay fat so they never leave. Or that they think their clientele is so low on the health totem pole that that's what they go for. I don't know, but I'm kind of insulted and I don't even go there.
    My gym would NEVER have the ovaries to have a pizza night.

I'm learning so much about Planet Fitness from this thread! I never knew it was so scandelous
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Really? Really?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    And I don't know how a place can justify callilng itself "Planet Fitness" when they serve pizza, bagels, and tootsie rolls to their members.

They have the business model down perfect.
    [1] No heavy lifters to 'intimidate' the clients
    [2] Not the right equipment to lift heavy anyway
    [3] Free food!
    [4] Cheap

It's a plan with the goal of, like the Hotel California, ensure you'll never leave.

Lol too funny
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    And I don't know how a place can justify callilng itself "Planet Fitness" when they serve pizza, bagels, and tootsie rolls to their members.

They have the business model down perfect.
    [1] No heavy lifters to 'intimidate' the clients
    [2] Not the right equipment to lift heavy anyway
    [3] Free food!
    [4] Cheap

It's a plan with the goal of, like the Hotel California, ensure you'll never leave.

Lol too funny

:laugh: :laugh: funny but I do like that song!
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Take membership in the one which has a schedule that fits your lifestyle. I opted for a gym that is open until 23 pm since I otherwise couldn't get my weekly goal exercise in + because it has a pool and I +/- regularly swim for cardio.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    i use PF, there is not a lot of options where I live and it is cheap.

I don't have any problems with etiquette there and the machines are all in good repair and I never have to wait. honestly, at least the one I'm at the 30 minute work out is a waste of space though, I have never seen one person use it in the intended way!

Dislikes are sometimes the staff is not good about cleaning, it will be dirty and the papertowels will be overflowing out of the trash. Also, at least the one I'm at the staff eat at the front desk and seem to hang out just talking a lot. Then they don't notice you when you come in and you have to wait. Eating is annoying because they eat actual prepared food like pasta not just little snacks so you can smell it. HELLO, a lot of people hear are trying to NOT eat that stuff! Just kind of weird.

Mine is only open 24-7 during the week, its opens at like 4am monday and doesnt close until 9p Friday, weekends its only 7-7 so sometimes that is hard for my schedule on weekends.