Knowing you're fat, having the tools, NOT USING THEM?

Options
I have known I am climbing the weight scale for about a year. It has been a kind of slow process up until the last 6 months where I went through a stressful period at work. During that time I knew I was rapidly gaining weight and started to put together the tools I needed to get the weight off. Unfortunately, I just could not use the tools I had put in place (gym membership, weight loss program with shakes and vitamins and a fridge of foods that are healthy and I actually like)... I would get up and do half of the program or have a light bulb moment to act on my program and just decide to do it later or avoid it. Do I not want to lose weight? Am I scared of commitment to my program? Am I still under enough stress to be avoiding these things subconsciously? I love my shakes, don't mind vitamins at all, I enjoy working out with or without a partner as long as I can initially drive to the gym and will stay up to 2hrs at a time and leave feeling awesome... so it isn't that I won't... it is just that I can't get started or stay consistent. I know my biggest excuse is that I am too busy (I work 7 days a week and have an hour plus commute both ways to work) or exhausted.

General question here is:
How do you motivate when you know the problem, have put all the tools right under your nose but can't seem to act on them even when they are top of mind AND you actually (honestly) don't mind doing them?

How do you combat this type of road block in your health and wellness journey?

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Honestly, getting out there and starting is the hardest part. Get out there and just DO IT. Like Nike says ;)
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have the EXACT same problem!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't wait for motivation or inspiration. Schedule it and stick to your schedule. Have scheduled workouts, and scheduled rest days. Plan your food diary in advance and stick with it. Make it just as much your routine as going to work, paying your bills, flossing your teeth.

In other words, don't give yourself any option to fail. You wouldn't stop going to work because you didn't feel motivated. Treat this the same way... you won't stop eating right and exercising right because you don't feel like it. (That's not to say you can't take a personal day now and then. :wink: )
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I know for me the problem with my knowing something and actually doing it is a matter of how serious I am about something.

I didn't get my driver's license til I was 26 because I didn't really care if I drove or not, I wasn't serious about it. Once I decided this was something I wanted and needed, I was able to teach myself how to drive (back roads in the predawn hours) and get my license within a few weeks.

I didn't go to college til I was 30 because I didn't care about it til I had a child and then I started thinking that maybe this was something I should seriously consider doing. Once I got serious about getting a college education, I got my bachelor's degree in 3 years.

I've tried many different diets over the years but think that I was making a half-*kitten* attempt, I cared but I also didn't care. This time around though I'm serious about my lifestyle change and things are working for me.

So maybe you have the same problem that I did, and that is you aren't really serious about it. maybe you tell yourself you are, but in your heart you really aren't.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me was getting started! I would have all the tools in place and be ready to go and then...nothing! It can be tough to stick to healthy snacks when your husband/partner etc is eating the good stuff! My motivation comes from my husband telling me to go do a quick workout while the little one is in bed or when there's nothing on TV. I found that once I started and had the momentum then I'd keep going. I haven't been to a gym for about 6 years when I quit after a very bad experience so I've had to find work outs to do at home. Maybe once you get going you'll find it easier to keep going? I read recently that after 21 days of doing something it becomes habit, so after 21 days of healthy food and excercising maybe it'll get easier for you?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think you're asking yourself the wrong question. Instead of why should I? It should be why shouldn't I?
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    something i do to self motivate with my food diary i basically know how much running or walking i do and pre-log it when doing my food diary for the day

when i feel unmotivated i look at my diary and not wanting to delete food from it and re juggle my macros because i am to lazy to do that makes me want to do the exercise that i have preset in my dairy

hope that may help a bit
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    One choice at a time, one decision at a time...pick small behaviours and stick with it no matter what. For me, it was cutting cream out of my coffee and eating four to five servings of vegetables every day before allowing myself anything else. I bought a kitchen scale and logged everything, no matter what. That was August to December, when I then got a Fitbit and started slowly adding steps to my day. Any other time I've tried to ditch the excess weight, it was all or nothing with both diet (noun) and exercise. It's not coming off dramatically like on the tv shows, but it's keeping pace with my seasonal wardrobe changes and my brain is not lagging too far behind in perceiving my body as it changes. I've been obese for two decades. I figure it will take me a couple more years to reach my goal, but I don't care...I'm feeling so much better as I go!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    For my diet (not "a diet", but just things that I eat during the day) - making small changes was the ticket for me. Eating more vegetables, making sure I get enough protein and watching my portions sizes (measuring just about everything!). And, a lot of people would disagree but for me it works - making sure I eat something for breakfast, and make sure I eat something every 4-5 hours.

For exercising, I was very self-conscious about going to a gym so I started with Wii Fit. Now I go the gym 4-5 times a week and usually swim 2-3 times a week.

Just put the shoes on. Whenever I get de-motivated (read: lazy) usually I'm ok once I get changed into my workout clothes. So "just put the shoes on" reminds me that just getting started is half the battle.

Just put the shoes on!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Two hours at the gym? :huh:

You'll never find me prancing off to my weights or out the door for a run. I'm usually dragging. I just make myself do it. After all that, I love all the other things I can do that many of my 30 something cohorts can't do. Running and chasing the kids. Swimming for hours. Riding all the rides- roller coasters and crazy water rides. Lounging on the couch for hours reading a book- not because my back gave out.
  • HerbalNinja
    Options
    This is a major fear of mine. I know that there is a problem and it bothers me enough that I worry and stress about it but I don't know where the point is that I hate it so much I am forced or inspired to change. I am hoping with support not being serious can turn into habits that make serious or not serious not matter :)
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    For me, it's about habits. I go to the gym 5 days a week - I go through times when I hate it, and times when I love it. I deal with it by making it "non-optional", which may not work for everyone, but it's what I need to do for me. Basically, I dont whine to myself or my boyfriend, or think "I really dont want to go the gym today", because I'm going to do it, and when it's done with I'll be happy.

Food is a much easier one for me, at least with regards to eating healthy. Change one thing at a time - maybe increase the size of your veg portions, swap an unhealthy processed snack for a boiled egg, some fruit, a veg pot etc. Do you really need say 3 slices of garlic bread with dinner (looks at self)? How about swapping just one slice for an extra 2 portions of veggies! You get to eat more in terms of quantity, loads of vitamins and fiber, and you've managed to cut out about 50 calories!
    Over time they'll become habits, and eventually you might find (a lot of people here seem to report it, and I've found it true for me) that when you try one of your old unhealthy foods, it doesnt taste as good as it used to.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

... I enjoy working out with or without a partner as long as I can initially drive to the gym and will stay up to 2hrs at a time and leave feeling awesome... so it isn't that I won't... it is just that I can't get started or stay consistent. I know my biggest excuse is that I am too busy (I work 7 days a week and have an hour plus commute both ways to work) or exhausted.

General question here is:
    How do you motivate when you know the problem, have put all the tools right under your nose but can't seem to act on them even when they are top of mind AND you actually (honestly) don't mind doing them?

How do you combat this type of road block in your health and wellness journey?

That's the hardest part. Making workout as part of your routine; you know, you get up, you have breakfast, you work, you work out.... I had problems committing as well, the same way you say - I put all the tools together and then just didn't follow through. But then one day I just changed my mind and set a personal challenge/goal to myself: getting workout routine in my schedule 3-4 times a week. It's in your head, the problem. Just do it...

Edit to add: And never conform to the "I don't have time; I am too busy; I am too tired etc" reasoning for not doing it. I know what I am talking about - I have a hell of a schedule and a very demanding business life. But really, it is giving priority to yourself and your well being. Be a little selfish too. Thats' how I do it on days when I really don't want to and one of those excuses are on the tip of my tongue...