LCHF

Options
Hello

Has anyone any experience with LCHF (low car high fat)?
How did you feel during the time you followed the program?
How much did you lose?
How long did it take you?
Did you have any physical symptoms before or after?
Did it help you to maintain?

Any information would be so appreciated

Best regars

Replies

• XXElmaXX
    XXElmaXX Posts: 34
    Options
    Anyone?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I tried eating low carb about 4 years ago. I lost 40 pounds in a very short period of time. As soon as I started eating carbs again - I regained the weight plus more.

Try eating healthy, weighing/measuring your food, and finding exercise you love enough to keep doing. That's what is working for me now. I've been doing this for a little over a year. No cravings, No bingeing, just happy. Good luck.
  • XXElmaXX
    Options
    I´m happy for you.
    I have tried, and I have maintained the 20 pounds I lost but been stuck for over a year. I have tried so many things, been to a doctor and everything. Been pushing myself on excercise, been eating healthy and all. My body just doesn´t want to lose more weight it seems.
    I´m about to give up for good.
    I have over 80 pounds to lose and my body is giving up.
    There for I want to try this.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food every single day? Accurately -- everything weighed and measured? Everything, even when you "mess up" and eat something you shouldn't? That's the first step and the most important.

If you're doing that, if you open your diary people will be able to help you figure out where the process is breaking down for you. Your body absolutely can lose weight it's just a matter of figuring out the right plan for you, sticking with that plan and giving it a chance to work.
  • XXElmaXX
    Options
    Do you log your food every single day? Accurately -- everything weighed and measured? Everything, even when you "mess up" and eat something you shouldn't? That's the first step and the most important.

If you're doing that, if you open your diary people will be able to help you figure out where the process is breaking down for you. Your body absolutely can lose weight it's just a matter of figuring out the right plan for you, sticking with that plan and giving it a chance to work.

I did log every day, everything, even when I ate more than I should.
    As I said, I have given up.
    This is and will be my last fight.
    All I was looking for was how other people had experienced LCHF
    I´m not looking for more advice from people, I have gotten enough advice that didn´t work, it only pulled me down to depression, some people don´t know where the fine line ends.
    So I won´t be opening my diary.
    But thanks anyway.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you. Everything works differently for everyone based on what their individual needs are. Which you already know. I hope everything goes well for you, and I hope you never give up on your health.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I´m not looking for more advice from people, I have gotten enough advice that didn´t work, it only pulled me down to depression, some people don´t know where the fine line ends.
    But thanks anyway.

Please don't give up. If low-carb high-fat doesn't work for you, something else will. This is your life. Giving up is not an option.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lowered cars look slick. They're typically accompanied with a firmer suspension, so it's a more bumpy ride, especially uncomfortable over speed bumps.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb, moderate protein, high fat. I feel great. I eat 20-40 g carb (total carbs) per day and am in ketosis. I feel great. I have lost 65 lbs. in 8 months, though I still have a lot left to lose. I love this way of eating!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

But thanks anyway.
    Oh! I thought you meant you were sticking to your calorie limit and weren't losing weight.

If you're having trouble with being hungry all of the time and struggle to keep to your calorie goal ABSOLUTELY try LCHF. I've been eating this way for just over a year now and the term I've used to describe the change in my appetite was miraculous -- it took about 3 weeks. Try and keep your carbs around 50g or lower in mainly vegetables and maybe some small servings of fruit. Your macros for each meal should be more fat than protein, more protein than carbs and that should keep you on track. My diary is open if you want to take a look.

Changing my diet away from what's typically considered healthy to LCHF has absolutely been the best decision I've ever made diet wise -- I only wish I started eating this way years ago. Good luck, I hope it works as well for you.

LCHF for beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Made no difference at all, because I was still eating about the same number of calories.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I started LCHF this past April. If you don't have metabolic dysfunction, you will like ly find it tough to stick to. That being said, I've lost 22# since starting to eat this way in April. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 more pounds to lose, your mileage may vary.

That and weight training 3 x wkly, in addition to walking every morning and evening, which I might add, I had been doing all along. My DH also eats this way and he's taken off quite a bit of fat and for the first time in many years has begun to put on size again. We thought it was a natural decline due to our age (mid 40's).

If you fall off the low carb wagon, I hear it you can end up in the same boat as you started or worse. We do it because of metabolic dysfunction and so our future quality of life totally depends on our ability to stick with it.

Research this diet really well, google Peter Attia, Johnny Moore, Gary Taubs, etc. I don't always agree with what all is said about why some people fatten on high carb diets, but at least it's an alternate hypothesis that offers possibilities for what's going on when calories in vs calories out doesn't work for you, as was our case.

So far, we both find it perfectly sustainable and we've noticed that we shop twice weekly instead of every 3 weeks. i'm not hungry and when I am, I eat...sooo simple :drinker:
  • XXElmaXX
    Options
    Thank you for your answers.
    What I have read it sounds simple and I think I might have easier time sticking to this than calorie counting and constantly weighing everything I eat. No matter what I did people would judge me. I had a protein shake and people would bite my head off so I gave up and deleted my account.
    Now I have decided on starting over and starting on LCHF as well.
    What I have seen is either people are totally against this method or they love it.
    Thank you again
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Lowered cars look slick. They're typically accompanied with a firmer suspension, so it's a more bumpy ride, especially uncomfortable over speed bumps.

Ha!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I follow Keto/LCHF started November 13th and to date lost 60 pounds. I feel great have more energy sleep good at night, no more heartburn and bloating. I must also mention (before someone bashes my reply) I am hypothyroid and was diagnosed last year with Type 2 Diabetes so the low carb was an option to possibly get off Diabetes meds.. and March of this year totally off of it all. No more depression issues, overall I feel like I am a better person... did I slip up a few times!?!? Of course, as with any 'diet' its all about changes and routines and its a learning process... I was sluggish for the first 5-6 days (low carb flu u can google it) but other than that, some days I forget its time to eat as I am truly satisfied throughout the day. I suggest if you are looking into LCHF that you make it a permanent change, not just a 'quick' fix.. and the reason why most people gain the weight back after starting higher carbs again is from water weight/retention and sugar cravings tend to trigger people to over eat.... LCHF isnt for everyone but if you educate yourself you will find that anyone thats low carb has their own reasons for doing so.

Feel free to add me for support or message me if you have any questions...
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you get off keto you must slowly add back in Carbs. Like +10 per week until you find your sweet spot where you are not putting back on weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you get off keto you must slowly add back in Carbs. Like +10 per week until you find your sweet spot where you are not putting back on weight.

So as long as carbs are kept in the sweet spot, you won't gain weight?
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The lower your body fat the more carbs it can handle, but to a certain point. You just have to find where that sweet spot is. You may require a body fat test (bod-pod, clippers) to figure that out.

If you fail to add back in the carbs slowly then expect to gain most of the weight back. On keto you trained your body to use fat sources as fuel, so now you must do the same with carbs. The body doesn't know what to do with the carbs if you go back to eatting the way you were prior to this type of diet. Being in ketosis is like being in starvation mode. The moment you chow down on carbs the body will begin to restore muscle and liver glycogens. Once glycogen stores are full (usually takes 2~3 days). Any extra will be stored as fats. So if you add in carbs daily and glycogen stores are full -> Goes straight to fat storage.

I've had friends who did Atkins, Keto, Paleo diets. When they decided to quit and go back to regular eating they just ballooned in a matter of weeks. Some putting on more weight from where they originally started...
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    LCHF for beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
    [/quote]

Great website! Thanks.
  • souzan651
    souzan651 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The lower your body fat the more carbs it can handle, but to a certain point. You just have to find where that sweet spot is. You may require a body fat test (bod-pod, clippers) to figure that out.

If you fail to add back in the carbs slowly then expect to gain most of the weight back. On keto you trained your body to use fat sources as fuel, so now you must do the same with carbs. The body doesn't know what to do with the carbs if you go back to eatting the way you were prior to this type of diet. Being in ketosis is like being in starvation mode. The moment you chow down on carbs the body will begin to restore muscle and liver glycogens. Once glycogen stores are full (usually takes 2~3 days). Any extra will be stored as fats. So if you add in carbs daily and glycogen stores are full -> Goes straight to fat storage.

I've had friends who did Atkins, Keto, Paleo diets. When they decided to quit and go back to regular eating they just ballooned in a matter of weeks. Some putting on more weight from where they originally started...

Always great answers full of useful information from you. Thank you!