Embarrassed to exercise at home.

Options

Replies

• Sauleeh
    Sauleeh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Heya guys! A little update! I have just done the day 1 of the insanity! Didn't do it 100% fully as I was worn out at the end, but I'm happy you all are pushing me! I really need it!

xoxo
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Explain to the family what you're doing and make your nephew your workout buddy.
  • fyoufat
    fyoufat Posts: 85
    Options
    I understand what you mean, I don't like working out when my husband is home because I feel like I shake the whole house with my jumping jacks or burpees or whatever. My husband was doing p90x (he only did like two sessions) and even said that he didn't like how it was shaking the house and he is a very confident and pretty fit person. Maybe you just don't feel like being rude because you feel like it might disturb them. Either way, I recommend getting outside and walking/jogging until you feel comfortable to workout inside. Or wait until they go to work or something. If you are embarassed to jog outside, get something that tracks your time so you can compete with yourself, put headphones on and zone out (but pay attention to traffic lol)! Keep working on your fitness and TRACK your progress, if you stick with it soon you will feel more confident about you abilities and stuff like this won't matter! Just like when you are working out you are supposed to get out of your comfort zone in order to make progress, just like life in general imo.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about making too much noise because you'll disturb others, that's understandable - but it doesn't sound like you have much choice. Your sis and husband should understand.

If you're worried that people will know you're exercising - just forget them/that! You'll get used to is, and so will they.

The fact that you really want to do Insanity is amazing - a great sign that you mean business. Looking forward to hearing good news from you!!
  • maundrelle
    maundrelle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You know, I think it's great that your nephew wants to exercise with you.

I think you should take that as encouragement and do it together.

I understand you completely. When I started working out, I would feel so self-conscious at gyms. I was so out of shape and I was always wondering what people were thinking.

But I did it anyway. At the gyms, I would do HIIT that included a lot of burpees, push ups, etc. I was definitely making a scene, and I was pushing myself to the limits because I wanted to change myself. There was nobody (even myself) who was going to slow me down.

I think this type of mentality works for anyone, and it will work for you.

As far as I can tell, all your family wants to know is what you're doing. That's not so bad! Exercising is good for you and you are brave and dedicated enough to start to change your life! And your nephew wants to join you! That's freaking awesome! :)

Don't hold yourself back. Being embarrassed happens. But what happens when you decide to be embarrassed and do it anyway is magic. You don't have t believe me, just try it :)

I say start doing insanity with your nephew. Just do it. And give yourself a pat on the back after each workout, too :)

Hope you're feeling good :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Modify the jumps or find a program that doesn't have any.
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could start by telling your family up front that you are going to exercise and ask if they would like to join. That will help to ease some of the uneasiness of them 'finding out' what you're doing and you might be pleasantly surprised how supportive they could be. secondly, since your nephew wants to workout with you, you can also go for long walks instead of running, you can use apps like runtastic or runkeeper and link them to MFP so that your stats are automatically uploaded her. Thirdly, put your favorite music on and just dance, it may not seem like much but you'd be surprised how much calories you burn dancing. you may also want to find other kids in your class/school who would like to work out and form a support group with your peers. That will help with motivation and also helps with getting over that feeling of embarrassment. At the end of the day, the bottom line is that you do need to get over that initial shyness in order to reach your goal and unfortunately the only way to do that is by simply doing your workouts.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Grab a laptop & go outside :) I started off doing that cause I was embarrassed to do it while anyone was at home & could see me.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Ok short and sweet :)

I felt the same, didn't want to exercise in front of my husband and my kids. YES I KNOW the man I made babies with I was shy to exercise in front of him.

The first time was uncomfortable, the 2nd time was uncomfortable, 3rd, 4th and 5th times were easier, now I stick that DVD in and don't give a rats behind who is watching me, or listening to me sound like I may die of a shortage of breath hehe I even made excuses not to try crossfit, finally made arrangements to go try that too.

YOU CAN DO THIS :):flowerforyou:
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I didn't write this and I can't remember where it came from but I saved it in my e-mail because it changed how I felt about how people saw me while I was out exercising. The gist of it is that the majority of people who see you exercising are wishing they had the push to do the same thing. Even though you see yourself as red in the face, fat sweaty girl huffing and puffing her way through a run, you are an inspiration to others to get up and change their own lives.

==============================

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the
    running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.
    You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make
    you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops
    on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so
    much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes
    at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You
    never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the
    reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is
    tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a
    brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will
    far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face
    your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this
    physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult
    decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take
    is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so
    slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were
    in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is
    stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is
    possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and
    put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that
    the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so
    inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,
    know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so
    many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,
    “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from
    deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are
    relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and
    you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe
    tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will
    not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a
    new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I might start by having a talk with them about it. Tell them you want to start exercising at home, but you're aware that you'll have to use shared space, like the living room, and you want to figure out how best to go about it in a way that won't disturb everyone. They might have some suggestions, or you might be able to come to an agreement where they can go and do something as a family for an hour and you can exercise.

That's where I'd start, at least.
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Heya guys! First time poster. I am 18 years old, and I find it awkward to exercise at home. I almost finished the 30 day squat challenge and did some other leg and arm exercises. Those are fine for me. But I managed to get my hands on the insanity DVD which seems amazing, and the before and after pictures seem so inspiring. The problem is, I live with my sister who is overweight, her husband, and her two children. My bedroom happens to be on the second floor, and each time I jump, or even walk heavier, the whole house shakes and everybody can hear everything. The day before yesterday my sister was in work, so her husband was at home downstairs in the living room. I knew that he might hear but I did the Insanity fit test. i was starting it and doing the jumps or whatever. Later my nephew comes up and asks 'Umm... My dad was wondering..what are you doing?' and I felt awkward and told him I'm exercising. And he asked me if he can do it with me. So I said sure, but I just felt so shy that his dad is downstairs listening to me doing something. My sister also has a treadmill, I'd like to use it, but again I'm too shy. It is in the living room so everybody is always there. I am too shy to do it there. I take my walks which are around 2 miles each day. It takes me around 40minutes walking. But I want to do the insanity so bad, but that stupid floor is so thin you hear everything. I couldn't do much when they aren't home. Sisters husband is home a lot during the day as he works at night at the end of the week. I have no idea what to do. Running outside is out of the question as I'm too shy, and gyms here are too expensive and you have to already buy 6 month memberships which I can't afford.

Help! :(

Oh girl, I feel your pain. I'm embarrassed to work out in front of my husband. My gear is in the basement, but he's down there a lot. I have fitness games for the Kinect that are upstairs, but then I'm in front of anyone that is here or my husband. You'd think that wouldn't be an issue. I need to ask him to do it with me so I'm not mortified. You might try the same. If your sister is overweight also, why don't you ask her to workout with you downstairs? Get her hubby to take the kiddos out while you two exercise. That way sis would be involved (since she is overweight too) and hubby/kids are out. Just a thought. :)
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Put some kind of carpet on the floor, that will soften the noise from your feet. It has to be a kind of carpet that is non slip and big enough to cover your exercise area.
  • nilleah
    nilleah Posts: 177
    Options
    This is going to "write" a bit harsh, but understand it's NOT meant that way... I see a whole list of excuses in this... You have justified yourself out of doing this......Almost.... Now to turn it around, my question is... How bad do you want this?? Get back to me, and see how shy you really are?? I am extremely self conscious about my workouts which is why I do most at home, ( With the blinds closed) I Believe in You!! #NoExcuses Let's go! (and friend me if you like) Lee

This!
    Lee, I like you! May I friend you as well?
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Explain to the family what you're doing and make your nephew your workout buddy.
    I like this idea. And also discuss when's good or not good to do it. Knowing it's going to be loud, because you are going to put in effort. It's a mental block you have to get over, so you can have this opportunity. I have my TV in the living room and an open floor concept house. So when my 10-12 yr old (I've been doing this a while) would bring over friends either I had to not work out or do it with them in the house. Talk about a mental block. preteens watching while I flail around and sweat! I did it anyway. The friends liked to look and the daughter was embarrassed, but all in all they admire it, really. It's a good role model. In fact some of the friends were all amazed that a PARENT would exercise at all. That's totally the wrong idea to grow up with! So I fixed it in my mind that i'm doing it for me, and it's good for them to see me (older chubby adult) trying to improve myself. Occasionally i'd hear, after the giggles, "she's good at that" or something similar. Keep going like no one's watching. Be proud of your efforts. Others might just feel like they ought to be doing it too, if you can, they maybe can.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I might start by having a talk with them about it. Tell them you want to start exercising at home, but you're aware that you'll have to use shared space, like the living room, and you want to figure out how best to go about it in a way that won't disturb everyone. They might have some suggestions, or you might be able to come to an agreement where they can go and do something as a family for an hour and you can exercise.

That's where I'd start, at least.

Talking to your family, and making your nephew your workout buddy sounds perfect. What you're doing is awesome. Don't let feeling shy make you less awesome.
  • Jers43
    Jers43 Posts: 100
    Options
    I did insanity and wanted to keep doing it... my wife banned me from doing it in the house! she offered the back yard! I was shy about it too let everyone know how important it is you only need an hour a day. it is a great program!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    has the house a garage? if not add another walk in or wait till they go out or do different exercises lunges ect and no jumping ones! :wink:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Stop being shy. Just do it. B you may inspire them to join you. with that said, look for a local park to work out in.