Accuracy...Fit Bit Flex or Jawbone Up?

Options
So I have been using the Body Media Fit Link for quite a while now and have been happy with accuracy and ease of operation. But, I am really uncomfortable with this on my upper arm all the time so I am considering in the near future to change up and get a system for my wrist even if it's not quite as accurate as the Body Media. The Body Media strap is constantly slipping down my arm when I workout and I find that distracting. To get it to stay I have to wear it uncomfortably tight. So I know these questions get asked a zillion times, but I would like the current feedback all in one spot to see ;) Both my husband and I are considering switching, so it's not a cheap contemplation when we already have what we have.

Please give some feedback on which wrist system you have had and preferred, especially for accuracy. But any feedback would be helpful! Even if a different system than the two I mentioned in the subject.

:flowerforyou: Thank you!!

Replies

• tizzypic
    tizzypic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to use the Body Media and like you, I was quite uncomfortable with wearing it on my upper arm. I use the Fitbit One and am quite happy with it. It's discreet - you can clip it to your pants or your bra, or you can put it in your pocket. It is super accurate in terms of counting steps, number of stairs taken, etc. Its bluetooth also allows you to sync to your Fitbit account via wifi.

For a comparison of the different trackers, refer to this article. It helped me make a decision in selecting the right tracker for me.

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

Hope this helps.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input and the link :) I will check out the link info!
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do not about the jawbone up but I have heard the fitbit flex is not accurate. It counts your Arm movements as a step. And if you are doing something like pushing a stroller that keeps your arms from swinging, it won't count the step. I am pals with somebody who got one and returned it after 3 days.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    I do not about the jawbone up but I have heard the fitbit flex is not accurate. It counts your Arm movements as a step. And if you are doing something like pushing a stroller that keeps your arms from swinging, it won't count the step. I am pals with somebody who got one and returned it after 3 days.

Thanks for that info, that would be a problem for me since I actually take my disabled (blind) Chihuahua for a whole lot of stroller walks. She even enjoys my 5k training wind in her face ;)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have a flex - I like it, no one has asked me what it is even tho I've worn it for weeks now. Accuracy - I'd say it was as accurate as anything else- I've looked at the graphs and compared against what I was doing at the time and it seems to be fairly consistent! Even when I'm driving or sat talking and moving my hands it's not given huge numbers so it seems ok. I particularly like how it links to your phone iPad and apps like Mfp and measures sleep!
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I like the more discreet look and comfort when working out aspect of a wrist monitor.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the jawbone. but I do LOVE my Fitbit Flex. It is quite accurate and syncs with my S3 and my iPad.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! How long have you had it?
  • Reevsie123
    Reevsie123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing the flex for 2 weeks, seems pretty accurate although today I painted my decking and logged 5000 steps - note to self put it on the wrist holding the tin not the one holding the brush apart from that I find it inconspicuous, the dashboard is excellent. Not sure what people expect for £79
    Wifey has the fitbit one and when we go out for a walk they both register the same, it's not perfect, but neither are all the rest. Be careful with negative adjustments, if you have a busy morning it gives you extra calories, if you then do nothing all evening they slowly dissapear - not good if you have already rewarded yourself with a cake !
    I looked at lots of reviews and the flex scored higher than the jawbone, although not by much. I like the fact it syncs with MFP and all in all gives a more accurate figure.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Anyone else have any input on this ? :flowerforyou:
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I chose the Jawbone over the Fitbit flex due to the reviews (a lot of people lost their fitbit flex due to the design of the strap).

I was more interested in the sleep monitoring that the calorie burn (Ive always had trouble sleeping)

As a few other posted have already stated, the calorie accuracy is probably up there with any other... it says I walk on average about 10,000 steps per day, which is supposedly average.

Read as many reviews as you can before you make your decision :)
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Thank you ;) Yeah I am trying to get as much input as I can so I can weigh pro's and cons. Since I already have the Body Media I am not in a rush at all, it's mainly a comfort issue. That and I live in Virginia Beach and am sleeveless much of the year, so something for my writs would work better for me. Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate all the differing viewpoints I can get :smile:
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends have the FitBit One and love it.

I decided against the Fitbit Flex. As they said any movement of arms counts as steps such as Cooking.
    I also Crochet and Knit so I am getting the Fitbit One.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I had a Fitbit and the accuracy was very poor, if you are used to the BMF than you will probably be disappointed, but I fully understand the arm band thing and I don't think the new version in a month or so will change that much. I you want flexibility of location AND have a smart phone you may want to check out the "Misfit Shine". O think it will soon lead the pack of the Fitbit types. I want more heart rate focus as I find it more accurate than steppers.
  • aliciadwhite
    Options
    I have both of them and the results are almost the same! Every now and then they are off but not often.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I did not know the Flex counted arm movement as steps :frown:
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Heart rate focus is one of my important points, I will look into "Misfit Shine" :)
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Thanks for the input aliciadwhite ;)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Looks like the shine is just an accelerometer like the Fitbit so again, not as accurate as the BMF. It supposed to be better for cycling though.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Looks like the shine is just an accelerometer like the Fitbit so again, not as accurate as the BMF. It supposed to be better for cycling though.

Yeah that is what I just read. Not quite what I am looking for, but maybe useful when I decide to start triathlon training...thanks for checking :flowerforyou: