Setting my caloric daily food intake

Options
I am setting my caloric food intake to 1200. I'm told that is too low. If I set it higher AND I'm working out - I can't possibly eat everything MFP is expecting me to eat (which after I check out for the day it tells me I'm eating too litte). I'm eating enough - geesh, I can only fit so much in me. I used to be an eater that just went all day without eating - just not a big interest and very busy) to eating at night when my stomach is grumbling. I stopped THAT. So, it's all spread out. But I need to not only lose the weight eating good foods but also working out daily. 1400 to set is too dang much. Anyone's input would be awesome. Thanks.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    then how did you get overweight? Take a closer look at your food choices. Don't use "diet" or "low fat " options...eat real, calorie dense foods.
  • JayH623
    JayH623 Posts: 2
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it fits within your caloric deficit. Also eat lots of dietary fiber, which helps slow down the digesting process, and make you full for a period of time.
  • Lizzy9
    Lizzy9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My body was in starvation mode and then once night time came, I was so hungry I ate JUNK!!!!
    then how did you get overweight? Take a closer look at your food choices. Don't use "diet" or "low fat " options...eat real, calorie dense foods.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    okay, I guess I'm tired right now, but caloric deficit? It's like 900 right now since I worked out. No way I can eat that. Even with a protein shake with fiber.
  • tearsinger
    tearsinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I really can't make specific recommendations, but here are some general ones to add into your day.

Stick will full fat dairy products like cheese and yogurts.
    Mix milk in with your protein powder. Or 2 tbs of Peanut butter
    Add in an oz of nuts 2x a day. These don't take up much room in your stomach, but they are very caloricly dense.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    okay, I guess I'm tired right now, but caloric deficit? It's like 900 right now since I worked out. No way I can eat that. Even with a protein shake with fiber.

Are you sure you're not overestimating your work-out calories?

And I have the same problem with food. It sounds stupid, but I read here about people having cheat days of 3000 calories and I honestly don't even understand HOW you can eat that many calories in a day. I'm struggling with eating enough for 1,500 calories at times because healthy meals work out pretty low in calories, and then I always just end up snacking at night to try and make up my total which I don't like to do
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I don't eat meat so that sounds great. Today I went and bought a dang 1/2 gallon of skim milk. Shoot!
    What's your thought on the deficit?

I can't see your diary, so I really can't make specific recommendations, but here are some general ones to add into your day.

Stick will full fat dairy products like cheese and yogurts.
    Mix milk in with your protein powder. Or 2 tbs of Peanut butter
    Add in an oz of nuts 2x a day. These don't take up much room in your stomach, but they are very caloricly dense.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    I only burned 300 + calories. And oh how I can relate with you. The healthy food is so NEVER EVER filling. If ate meat, then that would be different. I have to stay away from carbs too (bad ones) - they are trigger foods for me. I'm normally a salty eater but one little chocolate kiss can trigger me into a Dairy Queen Fudge Brownie Caramel Blizzard!!! lol

Are you sure you're not overestimating your work-out calories?

And I have the same problem with food. It sounds stupid, but I read here about people having cheat days of 3000 calories and I honestly don't even understand HOW you can eat that many calories in a day. I'm struggling with eating enough for 1,500 calories at times because healthy meals work out pretty low in calories, and then I always just end up snacking at night to try and make up my total which I don't like to do