What would you do? Almost dog bite.

Options
2»

Replies

• pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I do search and rescue and work with fairly high drive dogs. First off it doesn't sound to me like your brother would resent the request that the dog not be around your son. I guess it sounded to me like they had been fairly careful, though maybe they erred in correctly reading the dog or watching every second. We live in a world where blame is huge. The facts are your son is ok, which is really all hat matters for right now. But for future events, I think this dog should probably stay home. I'm extremely conservative on the issue of dogs putting their mouths on humans.... In ANY way, and my dogs are titled and trained to bite. But they are dogs. They are not furry humans. They grip because it is a basic instinct, it is not a moral or ethical conundrum.

My concern would be to question your son, see how he feels, and keep him safe. As a parent that is priority #1. I think it is more than within your rights to request that this dog not be around running screaming, giggling kids (which is really hard for a lot of dogs).

Good luck.

Perfectly said.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have two Kuvasz and one of them did once bite a kid under different circumstances than yours but the reality is that dogs do bite and unfortunately running children simply provokes their hunting instincts. most of your books on dog safety will mention that running provokes them to chase and hunt so for a poorly socialized animal this was an extremely challenging situation. you handled it right but going forward, if children are running and playing, the dogs should be in their kennels.
  • Lutah7
    Lutah7 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have two Kuvasz and one of them did once bite a kid under different circumstances than yours but the reality is that dogs do bite and unfortunately running children simply provokes their hunting instincts. most of your books on dog safety will mention that running provokes them to chase and hunt so for a poorly socialized animal this was an extremely challenging situation. you handled it right but going forward, if children are running and playing, the dogs should be in their kennels.

Spot on in my opinion. Well said.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a very stressful situation for a rescue dog - and a scary one for you.
    For your son's sake, he needs to have some positive doggy interactions so he doesn't develop a phobia.
    Dog's owners need to respect their dog's vulnerabilities, and their guests' safety... And probs talk to a trainer about behaviour management.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I ran a dog rescue for 13 years and I can tell you that the vast majority of bites happen to boys under the age of 10. There's something about their level of activity, the noise they make and their movements that really sets dogs off if they're prone to biting. I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask that the dog be put away when the kids are around.

On a side note: The Rottweiler rescue person that I knew told me that anytime she took in a dog was over about 10 months old, there was basically nothing that could be done about their unpredictability and potential aggression. Because of their breeding (and this goes for all Mastiff-type breeds) they have innate feelings of protectiveness and aggression and they have to be taught right from wrong when they're "teenagers" or they're just never going to be fully trustworthy. A rescue dog of a mastiff breed is never 100% predictable if you don't know their past, and if they came from an abuse or neglect situation it's even worse odds. This dog's owners should have done their homework and realized that squealing, fast-moving kids was not a good situation to have that dog in.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My view,

Sounds like there is some good advice already.

First: The dog would have to be put away when you and your children are there. I have three dogs and one of them can be aggressive. We got her as a two month old puppy and we were VERY careful about properly training her with children and food etc... She was never abused just naturally an alpha dog. She looks like a brown rottie but she is actually 1/2 boxer, 1/4 husky, 1/4 chow. For years when people would come visit we would put her in the laundry room just to be on the safe side. Anyone who is unwilling to put their dog/dogs away is purely selfish. Sounds like they will not be though.

Second: We dealt with a vicious dog in the neighborhood. They weren't necessarily abused but weren't really trained and taught any better and the two dogs would pack up and attack as a pair. one from the front and one from the back. My daughter was grabbed on the back of the calf and then shook. I did report the dog and it was put down. I didn't want to do it but they always let their dogs out at 3:30-4:00 to roam loose and that is when my kids get home off the bus and walk past their house to get home. I reported the dogs deliberately due to their constant aggressive behavior and because they've tried to attack myself and my husband on separate occasions.

Third: This really doesn't have anything to do with the situation but due to the fact that we have four children we will only adopt and/or buy puppies only so that we can train them on how to act around small children. Now I know you can train older dogs but I personally prefer to raise them and know their personalities and quirks.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    An idiot move to have hyper kids running around a traumatized dog. Don't have the dog around kids. It's like taking a war vet to a fireworks show.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes I would. I'd agree with however upset your hubby is.

My brother-in-law is notorious for adopting dogs left and right and he loves to get pit bulls. We used to take them off his hands when he'd make up excuses for no longer being able to care for them and my husband was good with the one and then the second we got. When we needed to move we adopted them out to another family who took them both because we weren't sure we could handle the dogs with the new challenges our new place presented. Also we had a baby on the way and my mom was harping about those dogs and I had stopped going outside feeling more vulnerable each day my belly grew and it just got to a point where we had to make choices.

Currently whenever we show up there and there is a new dog I wait in the car with our child. We never know where he's gotten these dogs and don't have time to ask when kiddo's right there. He's been nearly bitten by tiny "cute" dogs where we live who had irresponsible owners so we don't see a need to expose him to questionable dogs the guy has already proven he can't handle by pawning off to us. Since that time I believe he's had around 5 dogs and there's never an explanation where or why they are gone, so It's fishy and we don't take chances. If there's a dog we wait in the car and hubby makes a quick visit excuse of dropping something off or being in the area. IF they lock it up safely and securely and he sees that then he gives the all clear and we go inside. We are on the same page so I trust his judgement regarding this. Hope you and your husband can team up like this too and get to spend as much time with your family without putting your kid in danger or your nerves on edge the whole time.

Most of both of our families have dogs and their owners are very clear and up front which dogs can handle what kind of play. We respect the dog owners and their impressions of how trustworthy or playful their dogs are. Our kid has fun playing with most dogs in the family but knows which ones are locked up and are off limits and how far he is to stay from the gates. We and the owners all keep a watchful eye at these get togethers to make sure everyone stays a safe distance.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that the dog would benefit being in a quieter, adult only environment, with lots of TLC, and not around young children. Win-win for all, including the dog.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that the dog would benefit being in a quieter, adult only environment, with lots of TLC, and not around young children. Win-win for all, including the dog.

This. They are kids with teeth and they WILL act out if they are stressed out. Just because a dog can be aggressive in certain situations doesn't mean it deserves to die. It means the owners have not identified the stress initiators the dog has and is irresponsibly exposing it to situations it may not be capable of handling. I completely agree with keeping your kids away from the dog, but I also highly recommend educating your children how dogs also become upset because of running and agitation and how to act around a large animal like that. It could literally Save their life.
  • nilleah
    nilleah Posts: 177
    Options
    I completely disagree with the dog being put down. The dog was put in a stressful situation and acted like... A DOG. People are too quick to want to kill an animal and I think it's sick. It's an animal and it's going to act like one. The fault lies in the owner for putting the dog in the situation in the first place.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I was bitten in the face by a cocker spaniel when I was a kid. We had been playing fetch for a little bit when, apparently, it decided that I looked tastier than it's toy. Dogs can be temperamental regardless of breed. If you are uncomfortable with your child being around this dog you should discuss it with the owner and make sure you don't leave if the dog is around. Obviously the people who were telling the kids to stop squirting the dog weren't firm enough.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

This. They are kids with teeth and they WILL act out if they are stressed out. Just because a dog can be aggressive in certain situations doesn't mean it deserves to die. It means the owners have not identified the stress initiators the dog has and is irresponsibly exposing it to situations it may not be capable of handling. I completely agree with keeping your kids away from the dog, but I also highly recommend educating your children how dogs also become upset because of running and agitation and how to act around a large animal like that. It could literally Save their life.

agreed. Also needs to be with someone who has experience with dogs (especially larger breeds) and working with those with issues...or at least be willing to learn and train with someone to work with the dog. It takes a lot of time, effort and commitment to raise a dog and moreso with those whose past you are unsure of.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    We have a rescue dog but ours is a Bloodhound, a 128 lb. Bloodhound, but we have no children at home (ours are adults). We were concerned at first with our grandchildren and was very much on alert when they first came to visit after we got him because the four grandchildren who came to visit were a 7 year old girl, and three boys ages 8, 10 and 10 (all brothers and sister). These children are very tiny and are generally, over trusting and over friendly with absolutely any dog. The Bloodhound does have aggression issues but only with other dogs but still, there is reason for concern.
    When the kids first came into the room the big bad bloodhound took off running and hid from them. It was several days before he got up the nerve to stop hiding and let them pet him. It was pretty funny actually BUT if it became an issue where there was even the hint of concern of the children in any type of danger I would have no problem eliminating the dog from this world.