Garcinia Cambogia - does it work?

Options
has anyone tried this? i can't find any negative feedback on the internet but like all these products it sounds far too good to be true! :ohwell:

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. There are no magic pills for weight loss. Just eat right and move more!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Not for weight loss in humans, maybe for blood sugar, the research on side effects is minimal. Weight loss occurred in rats but not in humans.

From WebMD: Possibly Ineffective for:

Weight loss. Taking garcinia fruit rind extract doesn't seem to decrease weight, fat breakdown, or energy expenditure in overweight people. There is some mixed evidence that garcinia might help people feel full even when eating less, but it's too early to recommend garcinia for this use.

http://examine.com/supplements/Garcinia+Cambogia/:

At least in rats, evidence of suppressed de novo lipogenesis has been noted and oral consumption of (-)-Hydroxycitric acid appears to reliably reduce food intake and body weight (the latter to a degree where food intake cannot explain all the observed effects). Studies in humans, for the most part, fail to replicate this; this may be related to less actual activity of de novo lipogenesis in humans and a much higher level in rats. Some isolated studies do note weight loss, but it appears to be quite variable and unreliable. Many studies also do report subjective appetite decrease, but tend to record dropout rates (how often people leave the study due to being unable to maintain the diet protocol) rather than food intake; even then the benefits are still unreliable and sometimes not present. Although there is some limited potential for (-)-Hydroxycitric acid as a weight loss aid, the magnitude of effect is quite low (up to 2kg over 3 months) and the benefit is unreliable; making it hard to recommend this compound as a fat burner or anti-obesity agent.
  • alliemum3
    alliemum3 Posts: 6
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. There are no magic pills for weight loss. Just eat right and move more!

thanks, i think you are right!
  • alliemum3
    alliemum3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Not for weight loss in humans, maybe for blood sugar, the research on side effects is minimal. Weight loss occurred in rats but not in humans.

From WebMD: Possibly Ineffective for:

Weight loss. Taking garcinia fruit rind extract doesn't seem to decrease weight, fat breakdown, or energy expenditure in overweight people. There is some mixed evidence that garcinia might help people feel full even when eating less, but it's too early to recommend garcinia for this use.

http://examine.com/supplements/Garcinia+Cambogia/:

At least in rats, evidence of suppressed de novo lipogenesis has been noted and oral consumption of (-)-Hydroxycitric acid appears to reliably reduce food intake and body weight (the latter to a degree where food intake cannot explain all the observed effects). Studies in humans, for the most part, fail to replicate this; this may be related to less actual activity of de novo lipogenesis in humans and a much higher level in rats. Some isolated studies do note weight loss, but it appears to be quite variable and unreliable. Many studies also do report subjective appetite decrease, but tend to record dropout rates (how often people leave the study due to being unable to maintain the diet protocol) rather than food intake; even then the benefits are still unreliable and sometimes not present. Although there is some limited potential for (-)-Hydroxycitric acid as a weight loss aid, the magnitude of effect is quite low (up to 2kg over 3 months) and the benefit is unreliable; making it hard to recommend this compound as a fat burner or anti-obesity agent.

thank you! i couldn't find anything so thats a great help :flowerforyou:
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't know how authoritative examine.com is... I don't even know what that is. I read the WebMD site and couldn't find the article someone on here said existed. Not saying it didn't, I just couldn't find it.

But, I have heard of ncbi.nlm.nih aka the National Health Institute. They posted an article from the Journal of Obesity which did a review of all discoverable studies on using Garcinia Cambogia. They ruled out ones that were not on obese humans and which did not meet certain standards of accuracy.

"Only randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies were included in this paper. To be considered for inclusion, studies had to test the efficacy of oral HCA or any of its salts for weight reduction in obese or overweight humans. Included studies also had to report body weight as an outcome."

They found that "The objective of this systematic review was to assess the efficacy and effectiveness of HCA as a weight reduction agent. The overall meta-analysis revealed a small difference in change in body weight between the HCA and placebo groups." ... "The evidence from RCTs suggests that Garcinia extracts/HCA generate weight loss on the short term. However, the magnitude of this effect is small, is no longer statistically significant when only rigorous RCTs are considered, and its clinical relevance seems questionable. Future trials should be more rigorous, longer in duration, and better reported."

Here's the cite for those who want to read all the details. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3010674/
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    i've been taking garcinia cambogia for about a month now... I have been losing 2.5 pounds a week BUT i also switched to a whole food/plant based diet so (and walking daily), not sure if I can attribute the weight loss to the GC, I am going to stop taking it for a month and see if my results change or stay the same... if they stay the same I will probably drop the GC altogether. I will follow-up in 30 days with results
  • judystx
    judystx Posts: 2
    Options
    It does work but like others have said, you need to exercise and control how much you eat. I lost 2 pounds the first week and 10 punds more the next two weeks. Just be aware of how much you eat. It wont be hard to control your urges since it acts as an appetite suppressant. Good luck!
  • HoudinisBox
    HoudinisBox Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for about 2 months now, and I've lost 21 pounds. But I've been eating better too, so the loss is probably a combination of both.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    If there was a diet pill that acutally worked like it said it would no one would be fat. The diet industry thrives off of short term weight loss and false promises. I would save your money for something that will actually help you lose weight. With all the money you would spend on the product you could probably have an appointment with a dietician or join a gym.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    The thing about Garcinia Cambogia is, it is cheap, so no one is making tons of money off of it. I have found it very helpful for decreasing my appetite and making it far easier for me to say no when it comes to sweets. I have only been taking it for 2 weeks, am probably at my ideal weight already, so I haven't seen any weight loss or inches loss yet even though I have been counting calories and exercising too.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight. Does the pill work? Nope. Anybody who says it does work has changed other behaviors and it was not the pill. Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. That is all.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    While it may or may not help, there is no substitute for eating nutritiously (and less quantity) and getting physical activity. There really is no magic pill or secret formula. The not-so-secret formula is eat less and move more!
  • vidaben
    vidaben Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for your post.
    Good luck and waiting to hear your results and opinion:).
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Amy? Is that you?
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's what I thought LOL
  • asever1
    asever1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry I posted something a second ago thinking you were asking about MyFitnessPal.
  • SonnyN9
    Options
    Whether Garcinia Cambogia works or not depends on the person and their current health conditions. My wife is taking Garnicia Cambogia to ADD to her diet and exercise program. The reason why she started taking it is because of the nutritional values Garcnicia Cambogia has that can give her a little boost. Same idea as people working out and taking protein shakes.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Let's assume it works great. What happens when you stop taking the pill? Stop grasping for temporary solutions to a lifelong problem.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    No.

If it sounds to good to be true, it IS too good to be true.
  • ladyred316
    Options
    I tried it, NOT worth it. It's definitely not worth the money either. I took it for a month and lost 8 pounds, eating whatever I wanted and not exercising. But that isn't healthy. And as soon as I stopped taking it, those 8 pounds came right back. Don't waste your money on junk like I did, get into a fitness and exercise routine.