Women with broad shoulders

Options

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I also have wide shoulders and large bust. I have to wear tight shirts to show I have a waist otherwise my boobs push out my shirt making my look like I have a pot belly with slim hips and legs. I feel my torso is wide too and it doesn't have much fat left to lose... about 2 inches at most. So I feel slim from the side but from the front I am wide.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I say own it! I also have broad shoulders, and I'm fine with it. Hey - having broad shoulders makes your waste look smaller! ;) I try not to think about the things I cannot change about my body, and focus on the things I can change. Instead of worrying about how broad your shoulders are, think about how toned they are. Do you look good in that tank? Yes! Because you are working out and getting fit! I say go for it - no one else even notices your shoulders are broad, I promise!

totally this

I have very broad shoulders, a huge rib cage and I'm only 5'1" (which makes them look that much bigger than they'd look on someone taller). I look like a neanderthal woman from the neck downwards (they were short, stocky and barrel chested too, and I even have relatively short shins and forearms like them) and really, you can't change your genetics so you may as well own it. My body fat percentage is in the low 20s, I have muscle definition in my shoulders and back, and my ribs stick out when I raise my arms above my head (like xylophone kind of stick out, the bottom ribs stick out all the time), so my rib cage and shoulders are not going to get any smaller. My shoulder circumference is only slightly smaller than my husband's and he's nearly a foot taller than me. But I like myself how I am and I also like that I'm really strong (larger framed people tend to be stronger than average, but of course that only gives you a better starting point, because strength training will take your strength level way further than good genetics will).

I refuse to see that there's anything wrong with women having broad shoulders. What's so bad about it? Why is it seen as a bad thing? Is it back to this whole cultural BS of women are supposed to be weak, waif like, etc whatever. Because genetics is genetics, and frame size varies. It really p's me off that the fashion industry makes large framed women feel like we're not supposed to exist or we're supposed to cry into our pillows every night wishing we were built like waifs. Healthy looks fantastic on every body type. So strive to be healthy, wear clothes that suit you (everyone has to do this, even those built like supermodels) and choose to like your body.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about my broad shoulders. I have a small rib cage, small waist, no hips. But I do have big boobs and a butt. If I didn't have the shoulders (and the boobs to go with them) I feel like I would have a boy body since I have no real curves. Sometimes it sucks finding clothes that fit and look flattering, but overall I like it, especially when I work out. I look so strong when I wear tank tops and stuff. Own it!
  • TheDoctorRose
    Options
    Broad shoulders are beautiful. You are beautiful. That is all. :flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've always disliked my narrow shoulders. I actually hated to see shoulder pads go out of style. :laugh:

Broad shoulders here. I had to pull the shoulder pads out of all my clothing or they sat up there like epaulets.

that said, no guys really noticed them much. I think they're mostly looking at boobs.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like my broad shoulders most of the time. My husband finds broad shoulders on women attractive too. And yes, they balance out my big hips and *kitten*.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Cripes, I would LOVE to have broad shoulders! That'd balance out my twelve foot danger booty grandfather clock pendulum full saddlebag hips! Even when I weighed 137 pounds and had a 25-26" waist I still had like 39" hips. It's like my body will throw out the boobs, the belly, everything, but don't you dare slim down those hips and thighs!

So, I try to lift weights to get bigger shoulders, and I end up with injuries. Poop. I can't win.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders, I can't change it, it suits my body and I am fine with them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the 80s when every clothing item had shoulder pads in it. Compared to the cast of Dynasty and Falcon Crest, there's not a woman alive who has shoulders that are too broad.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the 80s when every clothing item had shoulder pads in it. Compared to the cast of Dynasty and Falcon Crest, there's not a woman alive who has shoulders that are too broad.

LOL!
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders but I also have a lot of upper body strength. Can't complain about that!
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders from years of competitive swimming and javelin during my teenage years, I don't mind having broad shoulders at all :smile:
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

:laugh: Love this! I was named after Joan Collins' character in Dynasty (Alexis)
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders, too. While I'm a little more selective in the styles of normal clothes I wear (which is necessary not only for looks but for proper fit), I could care less if my shoulders look broad while I'm working out and I wear whatever is most comfortable. I've gotten used to the fact that it's just my build and I can't change it.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders and I don't really like them... I lost some weight so I guess it doesn't look as big as before. I decided to buy some tank tops that I'm planning on wearing to the gym BUT I'm afraid that my shoulders are going to look big when I wear them. I've always worn t-shirts to the gym but I recently wore a muscle shirt. What do you guys think of broad shoulders??

personally I LOVE muscle vests / racer-back tops, think they look great if you have the arms and shoulders to carry them off and it looks like you do in your pic!

I find working out/exercising sooo much more comfortable in a little vest than in a t-shirt, much more freedom to move without feeling the neckline and sleeves of a t-shirt against you as you move, and cooler too!

Maybe post a pic of yourself in your new top and your usual t-shirt to compare???
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Wear what you feel comfortable and attractive wearing.

...for me, I have always has pronounced broad shoulders and I'm still getting used to the new way I look. I don't necessarily like or dislike them, but I know that's what I'm stuck with, so I have to make peace with it at some point!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders. I think tank tops slim them down rather than t-shirts. I have to get a size bigger in women's sizes because of my shoulders.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I love having broad shoulders, I wear tank tops, racerbacks, tube tops (I love summer clothes!) anything I can to show them off because they make me feel strong and sexy, especially as I am getting more definition as I lose body fat. They take my mind off of the parts that are still carrying around the fat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't broad shoulders look less broad without the extra fabric over them?
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders but I also have a lot of upper body strength. Can't complain about that!

Yep, same here. Broad shoulders, wide ribcage, short waist. But I can do pullups :bigsmile:

The only problem is finding dresses that fit right. If the skirt half fits in my waist and hips, the top is usually tight in the armpits. I wear sleeveless stuff and tanktops and show off my shoulders whenever I can.