Anybody trying to gain weight?

Options
I'm weighing in at 167 right now, hoping to be 170 by the end of August and 180 by the end of the year. I know 10 lbs sounds easy in 5 months, but I'm trying to stay relatively lean and put on good clean muscle. Anyone else struggling to put on good weight? Any tips?

Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Hahahahahahahahaha! Oh, you're serious.
    There are tons of people on here trying to gain weight so I hope that they see your post. I will pass your message along to those that I know that are trying to gain.
    Good luck!
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ill trade you weight issues lol. I used creatine in my teenage years.... dont.
  • aws_pandemic
    aws_pandemic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually just started to use creatine! What are some long term side effects that you're noticing!?
  • antiadipose
    Options
    i thought creatine was for endurance... i know some runners use it!

either way... here dear.. take some weight lol
    jk , sry idk anything about creatine.
  • Brian75
    Brian75 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm after the same thing but I have trouble eating enough. Im sure I could gain weight if I went to McDonalds but I don't eat junk food so its hard for me to eat enough healthy food. As far as the creatine goes, I think it's pretty safe. There's tons of info on the net. Gotta eat big to get big right? I just keep telling myself that.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    13 lbs in 4 months is going to be difficult for you if your talking muscle mass. Being a personal trainer, working out a ton, and knowing correct nutrition, I have been trying to get to 190 for over a year (from a starting point of 172), and was ALMOST there last month before I had a back problem, and promptly lost about 8 lbs because I couldn't work out.

Muscle gain is a slow process, for most of us with lives outside the gym who don't use PED's 1 to MAYBE 2 lbs a month is about all you can hope for, and even then, there will be plateaus that require a change of routine. Stick with it, IMHO I'd adjust your goals to maybe 5 lbs by end of year and the other 5 by maybe next April or May depending on how hard you hit the training.

Course if you want to throw in a few lbs of fat (not always a terrible thing), then you could do it. But that's a personal choice. 4 to 5 lbs of fat will be hardly noticeably for someone who is under weight, and can actually help flesh out your face and make you look a little better, depending on whether you need it or not.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The people who argue against creatine either A)overdosed on it, or B) didn't do something else right. There is of SCIENTIFIC research versus their "I just don't like it" and such. People say creatine isn't needed, that it's not important...your body creates natural creatine, supplementing the creatine already in your body with the correct dosages will not hurt you, assuming you have no heath issues. To not bore you to death, I'll include a link to one of my favorite creatine FAQ's online. If creatine is so bad, why are all the top powerlifters/strongman/athletes using it?
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/creatine-supplements-common-questions-answered.html

Good luck on the weigh gain guys, it's gotta be just as tedious as weight loss. Eat, eat, then eat again. Here's a Dave Tate interview that I enjoyed. If you don't know who he is, google him. He's one helluva guy to work with, and to learn from.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/37_tips_and_tales_from_dave_tate
  • aws_pandemic
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! @SHBoss: I think it is a good idea to try to split up the gains a little bit more. I was able to make the 170 by the end of August, but it wasn't not as lean of a gain as I would have liked. So I will try to eat a little cleaner and stay lean. I changed up my lifting routine about a month and a half ago, and that has helped me break some plateaus both in strength and weight gains. I'll try to keep it changing to help myself grow. Thanks again for all the advice.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! @SHBoss: I think it is a good idea to try to split up the gains a little bit more. I was able to make the 170 by the end of August, but it wasn't not as lean of a gain as I would have liked. So I will try to eat a little cleaner and stay lean. I changed up my lifting routine about a month and a half ago, and that has helped me break some plateaus both in strength and weight gains. I'll try to keep it changing to help myself grow. Thanks again for all the advice.

If your goal is to gain muscle, keep your calories slightly above maintenance on the days you WO..Do you incorporate any heavy strength training in to your weekly routine? Meaning, 2-5 rep range. Focusing on lifts such as Deadlift/squat/presses?
  • aws_pandemic
    Options
    @musclebuilder: I do. On Saturdays, I do deadlifts, squats, and romanian deadlifts. For the deadlifts I switch each weekend between a 5x5 and going 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1 (increasing the weight with each set). Squats and romanian deadlifts I just stick with a 5x5.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    @musclebuilder: I do. On Saturdays, I do deadlifts, squats, and romanian deadlifts. For the deadlifts I switch each weekend between a 5x5 and going 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1 (increasing the weight with each set). Squats and romanian deadlifts I just stick with a 5x5.

Sounds like you have a good over all approach to help you gain muscle mass.