What's wrong with salt???

Options
Hi all,

I've been watching the Biggest Loser, and there are frequent references to not eating salt....why?

I don't eat a lot of it, never add it to anything, but I'm interested to know why it's such a big no-no, and what is considered too much? I've had 400mg today - is that okay?

Thank you.

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes you retain water. Also terrible for blood pressure. The recommended daily is 2500 mg.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Salt is an important nutrient - it helps regulate pretty much all of our systems, and if you don't get enough it can cause heart problems, fatigue, muscle spasms, etc. However, most people eat TOO MUCH, which causes problems of its own - too much salt increases our blood volume (because it holds onto more water to dilute the sodium levels) and this puts stress on our cardiovascular system, including our heart. I've read that minimum sodium requirements are between 500 and 1500mg/day for an adult (depending on the source) and it is recommended that you not exceed 1500 to 2400 mg/day, depending on the source.

I aim for 1500-2000mg/day.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I know for me, it is a direct contributor to my high blood pressure. I also take meds for hbp with a strong diuretic. Salt also contributes to water retention in my body. I guess with people like me who maybe a bit more sensitive to it, it can wreck havoc on your kidneys and circulatory system.

With me, even on bp meds, if I keep my salt under 2,500 mg a day, my b/p is great. If I exceed that and although I still take meds, my b/p will still run a bit high.

However, some people don't have to worry too much about salt. I think 2,500 mg per day is what the standard agreed upon limit is in a healthy diet.

If trying to watch sodlium, be really careful about pre-packaged foods, frozen dinners, and canned things. These are extremely high in sodium.
  • Sherry44
    Sherry44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you make food from scratch all the time you won't have a problem keeping your sodium at the recommended level. It's when you start eating out and eating processed foods that come in a box, can or from the freezer section. 2500mg can add up SUPER fast!
  • gupton11
    Options
    That's correct it makes you retain water and thickens the blood vessels increasing your blood pressure. Personally I try to watch it because I have had kidney stones. Not something I would wish upon anyone!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I love salt. I stopped using it in my kitchen when I joined MFP and figured I'd be okay - I was stuck on my weight and started really looking at my journal for clues - when I set my journal to track sodium I realized I was still eating 3500-4000 mg a day! Yikes! I cut it down to 2400 max and tried to aim for less than 2000. I dropped 4 pounds in 5 days.

My point is, sounds like you have your sodium under control but it is hidden in all kinds of prepared foods. Spaghetti sauce is a killer ... most canned veggies and beans ... Even healthy stuff - hummus is often loaded. My favorite preservative free Healthy Choice meal had 700+mg in it. Ergh!
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    If you are UK based many of the sodium values in here for UK brands are wildly wrong because in Europe labels usually quote sodium decimal grams e.g. 0.7 g while the diary here expects milligrams 700mg - to see what I mean enter KP (a well known brand of nuts and snax) - some have been edited some not yet. If you see a decimal point in a sodium value multiply by 1000 (shift the point 3 places to the right). If sodium is < 500mg it may show as 0 because it is being rounded down.
    Last time I looked KP ready Salted Crisps (chips) had 0 sodium!
  • rinster
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks everyone. I'll keep my eye on normal intake. I only joined MFP this week, and to be fair, have only really eaten fruit and veg today, with a stir fry for tea, so probably much less salt than usual.

Cheers.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Salt is an important nutrient - it helps regulate pretty much all of our systems, and if you don't get enough it can cause heart problems, fatigue, muscle spasms, etc. However, most people eat TOO MUCH, which causes problems of its own - too much salt increases our blood volume (because it holds onto more water to dilute the sodium levels) and this puts stress on our cardiovascular system, including our heart. I've read that minimum sodium requirements are between 500 and 1500mg/day for an adult (depending on the source) and it is recommended that you not exceed 1500 to 2400 mg/day, depending on the source.

I aim for 1500-2000mg/day.

This is exactly right. Like anything else, too much of a good thing...and unfortunately, anything pre packages has too much. Which is why eating fresh fruits and veggies, and preparing your meals as much from scratch as you can is so important.

Also, if you're drinking TONS of water, it will help off set the sodium intake of your diet. So if you know you're going to have a high sodium day, just try and up your water intake that day, and it will help.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I love salt.

Salt can make you retain water but as far as weight loss, the only thing you'd be losing by cutting sodium is water weight. If you drink enough water it will also help flush the excess salt out of your system.

Of course some people are more susceptible to sodium because it can cause high blood pressure, or have other negative effects. You just have to be aware with the effect that it has on you. Despite being overweight I actually have really great blood pressure and cholesterol and I don't worry about my sodium intake. Keep in mind - that's just me, and I also drink about 16 glasses of water a day.

Salt is a valuable preservative that not only adds flavoring, but keeps food from going bad.

Of course, I'm also a believer of moderation. So it boils down to: Know the effect it has on you. Track it without any moderations and then you can do experiments to see the effect that it has on you. Don't get overexcited if you lose weight because you cut sodium - that's just water weight. Keep track of your blood pressure and cholesterol and you should be fine.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Salt can also contribute to hearing problems!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Salt can also contribute to hearing problems!

This is only true if you have an existing condition like Meniere's disease.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Let's not get too into using the terms "salt and sodium" interchangeably.
    Salt is an essential nutrient, and obviously does contains sodium. In fact a % of our bodies is "salt". It also contains chlorine which is poisonous .... ooooohhh !!!!
    Salt, as in common/table salt or "sodium chloride" is perfectly fine in moderation and needed by our bodies for all sorts of things. Sure, don't cake it on and use it for taste.
    But salt, isn't that evil sodium that everyone always refers too. Those high numbers of sodium in processed foods. It's sodium contained in other things like preservatives and flavoring and whatever other stuff (and salt) companies pump into their food to make it taste a certain way and increase the shelf life, and what ever other reasons it used.
    So, I'm not saying eat lots of salt and that sodium is not salt, but let's give "salt" a little respect and not lump it together as if it's the only source (and bad source) of sodium. In fact, even salt contains extra stuff nowadays and isn't purely just "sodium chloride".
    Actual salt is probably only a minor contributor to our sodium intake .... that is, unless you're heavy handed on the salt shaker for everything and are eating foods covered in salt (like pretzels, potato chips, salted peanuts etc).
    You could never pick up a salt shaker and eat salt free foods all day everyday, and chances are, if you never looked at the label, you'd still eat a ton of sodium.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I'll let my Dr tell me if I need to cut down and so far he has not said so,

here what I think about salt it makes all my food tasted better.