Thinking of doing a fasting for 7 hrs. Need help

Options
I want to do a 7 hour fast but I don't know where to start. I want to burn up the past few days food that have yet to digest so I can lose more weight. Can I drink green tea throughout? Or is only water allowed? Am I allowed to take protein shakes? I need advice.

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I fast for more than 7+ hours every night.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    you would need to do more than 7 hours. more like 18-24 hours.

edit: you can drink water, green tea and coffee and other very low calorie drinks. no protein shakes.
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    you would need to do more than 7 hours. more like 18-24 hours.

Hmm I would have to do it on the two days I'm off of work
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    7 hours=going to sleep at night?

Or do you mean 7 hours on top of your normal sleep schedule, so more like 14-16 hours? I assume you mean this. anywho.

I want to do a 7 hour fast but I don't know where to start. I want to burn up the past few days food that have yet to digest so I can lose more weight. Can I drink green tea throughout? Or is only water allowed? Am I allowed to take protein shakes? I need advice.

I'm pretty sure protein shakes would be a no, what with the calories and nutrition and all. Water and unsweetened tea are probably fine.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

As pointed out, most fast overnight anyway

Strictly speaking a fast is nil by mouth, but water or green tea are not calorie laden, so would do, protein shake seems defeating the object of a fast to me
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    maybe thinking about this? www.leangains.com

longer than 7hours
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    7 hours=going to sleep at night?

Or do you mean 7 hours on top of your normal sleep schedule, so more like 14-16 hours? I assume you mean this. anywho.

I'm pretty sure protein shakeis would be a no, what with the calories and nutrition and all. Water and unsweetened tea are probably fine.

Yes I meant 7 hrs on top of my 8 he sleep
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I usually drink lots of water and the occasional other 0 calorie drink.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal at about 7pm, and I do not eat again until 12 noon the following day. I eat all my calories in a 7 hour window. works fine, im never starving! NOTE: I DO DRINK MY COFFEE BEFORE 12 NOON!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Depending on your outlook / health etc you could check out 5.2 diet, there are some groups on here

eat normally 5 days out of seven reduced calories for 2 days

the normal eating means just that, not stuffing face full of cake, burgers and chocolate, reduced cal days are 600 for a male, choose days to suit your lifestyle
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    what is a 7 hour fast? isn't that just "not eating between lunch and dinner"? or something like that? a fast is more like a day at a time where you don't eat (and drink) anything. (and even that doesn't really help with weight loss, as one whose religion dictates two 25-hour fast days a year and a few shorter ones).

I am not sure what you are expecting to get from this. *not eating anything* doesn't always help in weight loss - if you are trying to compensate for eating badly over the past few days then start NOW by making healthy and sensible food choices. Drink a lot of water, exercise, and eat at the proper deficit.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    True fasting would just be water, but it's your party man you can make up your rules however works best for you. A few years ago I had success with only eating at one time in the day, which was about a 16 hour fast (8hrs of sleep, 8 hrs of awake time). Just be sure not to over-do it when it's time to eat.
  • sdonovan4
    sdonovan4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 3 day reboot with just vegetables and fruits from my juicer. check out www.rebootwithjoe.com I did the 10 day when i first started my weightloss goals.
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can not see the point in fasting. Once you start to eat as normal then any weight you lost would just come back?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I can not see the point in fasting. Once you start to eat as normal then any weight you lost would just come back?

not correct. Depends on total macros consumed. And for many of us, we fast every day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You won't burn up overeating by fasting for 7 hours. You won't even come close to emptying the waste from your gut. Just carry on as you normally do and be more careful about what you eat next time. Fasting isn't a magic cure for over eating.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You won't burn up overeating by fasting for 7 hours. You won't even come close to emptying the waste from your gut. Just carry on as you normally do and be more careful about what you eat next time. Fasting isn't a magic cure for over eating.

Agreed!