Upped my calories - losing finally!

Options
I wanted to report back. I've been lurking for a while, frustrated that I was eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising and not losing. I had logged everything I put in my mouth for 20 days, and no real loss. Very frustrating. I read everything posted here about TDEE - 20%, did a Google search on TDEE, went to all the websites, did all the math, then set my MFP calorie intake at my TDEE - 20%. For me that's about 1600 calories. I was worried about it, but the other way wasn't working. Guess what?! I'm losing! I've lost 7 lbs in the last two weeks and I am not, repeat not, starving! 1200 calories was MUCH harder. This could easily become a lifestyle.

The other thing I've changed in the last two weeks is paying attention to the quality of my calories. I like carbs. I like bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, popcorn, chips, anything with sugar. I've increased my calories but really focused spending those calories on whole foods, veggies, protein, and fruit. I am amazed that my body knows what to do when I'm feeding it properly. (I know. Right?)

Anyway, thank you to all the MFPers who post important information about why it may not work at 1200 calories (even if that's where MFP says I should be) and what to do to help myself. Invaluable. Thank you, people.

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finding a result that works for you :)
    I had exactly the same issues to start with (not enough calories to make a difference)
    Keep at it, and you'll see the weight just fall away :)
    Very well done xxx
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!

That is exactly the same thing I went through!! Thank God for TDEE-20%
  • squimkin
    squimkin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow well done - 7 lbs in 2 weeks is certainly something to be proud of!! You should reward yourself with a manicure or something you'd enjoy :)

I think I'm in the situation you used to be. I eat around 1200 calories a day, and I'm very hesitant about eating any more because I'm terrified I'll gain weight... but at 1200/day I'm hardly losing any weight at all. What is TDEE? How does it work? (is this the right place to ask? Where can I find out more?)

Again - well done!! :D And I'm glad you think you could make this a lifestyle, not just a fad :) that seems to be the key to long-term weightloss! :P
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    awesome to hear :) the tdee method is great hey!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Wow well done - 7 lbs in 2 weeks is certainly something to be proud of!! You should reward yourself with a manicure or something you'd enjoy :)

I think I'm in the situation you used to be. I eat around 1200 calories a day, and I'm very hesitant about eating any more because I'm terrified I'll gain weight... but at 1200/day I'm hardly losing any weight at all. What is TDEE? How does it work? (is this the right place to ask? Where can I find out more?)

Again - well done!! :D And I'm glad you think you could make this a lifestyle, not just a fad :) that seems to be the key to long-term weightloss! :P

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+and+sweet&page=1#posts-14887744

The above link should have everything you need.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options

TDEE is the total daily calorie expenditure (including working out) http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html keep under 20% of your maximum figure then you won't been eating more calories than you burn :)
    Good luck xxx
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    awesome, and thank you for posting. I just made the change too a few days ago and I am waiting for the pounds and inches to shed:glasses:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+and+sweet&page=1#posts-14887744

The above link should have everything you need.
    yes, this is how i started - awesome link.
  • Nenusky
    Nenusky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Remember to recalculate your BMR and TDEE when you've lost 5 Ibs and above. Good luck!
  • tchnlrn
    tchnlrn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ooohh, thank you for the reminder! I'd completely forgotten about recalculating after every 5 lbs. If you hadn't posted that I'd soon be wondering why this isn't working anymore.

To those of you who are hesitant to eat more - I was too. I stewed for a long time and finally figured the scale was not budging, so I wasn't out anything by eating more. Give it two weeks and see if it works for you. The link posted above is where I got my information. Thank you again, everyone.:laugh:
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's great isn't it! I am 5'7 and started at 231 lbs, I began with a 2000 daily calorie allowance and have slowly dropped to about 1800 calories (not including exercise calories) as the weight has come off. I've lost 18 lbs in less than 2 months and that's with a thyroid disorder too! In the past when I tried 1400-1500 calorie diets, I failed miserably.

Sometimes less ISN'T more :happy:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Bump...for more people to see this!! Congrats by the way!! :flowerforyou:
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope this works for me, too. Been at the TDEE-20% approach for 3 weeks but haven't lost anything yet. Trying to be patient!
  • DeShannon27
    Options
    What is TDEE-20%?
  • MK608
    MK608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! Thank you for sharing :)
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE-20%?

It's a method of calculating your total daily expenditure of calories, and then "cutting" 20% (or 15%, or 10%) off that to lose weight. Go up to the far right "Search" button (next to My Topics and Settings, above) and type it in and you will find many links to the calculators.
  • jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1600 cal sounds great. How many calories do you burn, usually-per day?
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That's so good to hear! After doing my own research on TDEE, I upped my calories last Thursday evening, so we'll see how it goes.

It's nice to see that it works for so many people. Thanks for sharing!