Is Whey Protein Powder Bad For You?

Options
sclaibo
sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
My husband says it is. I started lifting heavy and got some whey protein powder to help build lean muscle mass and recovery and to up my protein consumption. However, my husband says that if I consume it, I'll end up looking like China (the wrestler) and putting that stuff in my body is not good for me. Although he can't explain why. If it is really bad for you, can someone offer some alternatives? Thanks!

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You won't. It's just like any other protein source. Whey is a byproduct of cheese. So unless cheese is gonna make you look like a wrestler, protein powder won't do it. Your husband doesn't know what he is talking about in this particular subject.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    It is not bad for you period. You will not end up looking like that unless you are very serious about wanting that. To get to that level you need years of precise eating and hard intense training along with other supplements and a genetic make-up that supports that look.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious.

Protein powder is similar to a mutivitimin, used to suppliment a diet otherwise deficient in nutrients needed for optimal health.
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been supplementing w/whey protein for nearly six months. I lift heavy, do HIIT cardio, eat about 2000 cal/day and have lost 28lbs, over 10 % bf, and gone down 4 sizes in clothes. Women do not have the genetics to be bulky. There are several different kinds of whey protein though. Check this out if you want to make sure you are supplementing w/the "right" kind of protein for you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    protein powder is food...food is neither inherently good or bad, it's just food.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've been supplementing w/whey protein for nearly six months. I lift heavy, do HIIT cardio, eat about 2000 cal/day and have lost 28lbs, over 10 % bf, and gone down 4 sizes in clothes. Women do not have the genetics to be bulky. There are several different kinds of whey protein though. Check this out if you want to make sure you are supplementing w/the "right" kind of protein for you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

^^^This

He's clueless. Unless there's roids in it, there's nothing on the market that will bulk you up like China.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    My husband says it is. I started lifting heavy and got some whey protein powder to help build lean muscle mass and recovery and to up my protein consumption. However, my husband says that if I consume it, I'll end up looking like China (the wrestler) and putting that stuff in my body is not good for me. Although he can't explain why. If it is really bad for you, can someone offer some alternatives? Thanks!

whey is basically the protein byproduct from curdling milk.

it's not even remotely bad for you.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i use it and have only had positive results. except for the farts. those can be kind of bad. but other than that, thumbs up.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    it will take you years of training to even come close to looking like Chyna. So keep doing what you're doing.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is only bad for you if you have an intolerance to something in them.

Whey protein shakes (or any protein shake) themselves will not make you build muscle along with heavy lifting. You have to be eating at a calorie surplus to gain muscle.

Don't listen to your husband in regards to protein shakes. Only drink them when you aren't hitting your protein goals from real food. You will not get big or bulky from lifting or shakes.
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the reassurance! I hear only good things about protein powder, especially as it pertains to the benefits of lifting. At worst, I've only heard indifference. I've never heard any negative side effects from it. I usually don't get enough protein so I usually have at least one shake/smoothie a day and 2 on lifting days. I've read enough on heavy lifting to know that I won't get bulky. But I just wanted to know if what my husband said about side effects and being bad for your body had any merit. Now I know that it doesn't! THANKS!!!