Healthy meals for a bad cook

Options
ChrisLole24
ChrisLole24 Posts: 85 Member
Hey guys! Wanting to get some suggestions for healthy meals that don't require that much of a cooking background. I know the basics that's about it haha. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Just remember that baking, grilling, and braising are your best friends, no deep fry, limit sauteing and use broth instead of oil when you do use it.

Mark Bittman has an app for iphone, not sure if there is a droid version, How to Cook Everything, currently free in the apps store. It is a great place to start. It is also in hardback, probably at your library, it is almost a bible of cooking these days. Just don't do the frying recipes, follow the others :)

I am a very good cook, consider myself a foodie, and have a lot of respect for Bittman's books, he also writes often for the NY Times, I am always learning new things from him.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I suck at cooking too, so my favorite thing is stir fry. It's just veggies, a little oil, and a protein of your choice. Almost impossible to screw up!! Plus you don't really need a recipe either. I just chop up the veggies in my fridge, stir em' around for awhile in some sesame oil, toss some tofu on there, and EAT!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect.

I really like stir frys ......Stir Fry 101:

1. Cut lean meat into bite sized pieces
    2. Cut raw veggies into bite sized pieces
    3. Stir together broth, corn starch, spices .... set aside

Typically you start by frying the meat .... a non-stick pan requires little oil. Then add your veggies and continue to cook. Softer (quicker cooking) veggies are added at the end .... these are like snow peas and mushrooms.

After veggies are tender (yet slightly firm) .... stir in your broth based "sauce" ..... simmer a minute or 2 intil thickened and dinner is served. I like to serve mine over brown rice.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/20-20-superfast-stir-fries-sautes-00400000037729/
  • ChrisLole24
    ChrisLole24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I think even I can't screw up a stir fry =)
  • rachaelsue
    rachaelsue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I recently found this recipe on Pinterest, and it's now my favorite lunch!

Cherry Pecan Chicken Wraps

3 oz Southwest-style frozen chicken breast strips, thawed
    1 T cherry Craisins
    1 T chopped pecans
    1 T sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
    1 T plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
    lemon juice
    lettuce salad mix
    multigrain flatbread wrap (I use Flat Out multigrain with flax)

Chop chicken and add Craisins, pecans, and tomatoes. Mix in yogurt and a few drops of lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place on flatbread. Add lettuce, and roll up.

That's it! Super easy, and super healthy!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    We grill... almost every day in the summer! Chicken breasts with bbq sauce, chicken breast with any of the 8000 flavors of marinade you can buy at the store, pork chops the same way, pork tenderloins, chicken sausages, occasionally lean burgers, you get the idea. Serve with veggie of your choice and either corn on the cob or a grain, and you're done.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would not limit saute its a valid method to sear nearly any meat and is the first step in creating the most flavor a dish will likely have.

using healthy oils is far more important in my opinion, I use normal olive oil, coconut oil and even sesame oil only 1/2 - 1tbsp for an entire 12" skillet, its essential as well in my opinion to use a cast iron or stainless steel triple-ply pan

for finishing oils I use extra virgin olive oil and sesame oil
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm learning to cook too :) I just pick recipes that sound yummy and go for it! It's much easier than I imagined, and whilst I'm no master-chef, everything so far has been tasty to me and boyfriend! I do a lot of sauces, dahls, one-pot type dishes, and then a huge side of veggies. I do a lot with eggs too, they're so versatile!
    I dont fry anything except pancakes (if that can be called frying?), and I use frylight (extra virgin olive oil) spray for omlettes, pancake and frittatas - possibly my best discovery yet from using MFP!