Too much business travel - how do I keep track?

Options
I travel a lot on business, which entails a lot of eating out.

While I certainly can (and will) practice moderation, I'm kind of concerned about how to know just what I'm eating. Certainly, I'll check the food database, but most of my meals are not eaten at "chains" where the nutritional (or non-nutritional) information is readily available.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants will be willing to answer your pestering questions about the contents of their foods. Just don't expect to get a lot of head way on things like spices which contain a nominal amount anyway. But things like butter vs fake butter or egg noddles vs rice noodles is all generally information the waitress or manager will give you if you ask.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I should add to that, I have a A.A.S. in hospitality and restaurant management and currently work in a non-chain Asian fair restaurant. I have no problems when people ask what's in our foods.

Just... give us a break if we're incredibly busy when you ask. And don't expect us to give away the entire recipe. Some spices are what make our foods unique.
  • Sherylp77
    Sherylp77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also travel for work and I have some tips that I find helpful!

1. I love eating in California...they have to post nutritional (caloric) information on the menus..
    2. I go online before eating to determine what I want and where..like I started giving up my starbucks and drinking coffee from Mcdonalds. Cheap and tastes just as good. I do induldge in like an egg mcmuffin in the AM there too as they are always around and one egg mcmuffin isnt bad
    3. for lunch I do a salad and ask to have dressings put on the side
    4. I drink too much water! The change in climates and airplanes will bloat you.
    5. For lunch, when I am going out with clients I stick to the basic of Chicken, a potato, and a salad. Depending on where we are going to eat I will substitue a fish as well.
    6. The first thing I do is whenever I travel is to find a grocery store near my hotel! I buy fiber one bars or luna bars for quick on the go snacks just in case I cant find a place to eat. I also, if I know its an early start to the day, those starbucks energy drinks in light Vanilla. 230 per can with all your essential vitamins to kickstart my day!
    I hope this helps!!
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    rfialkiewicz -- Thanks for the advice. I'll try asking, and if I don't get a good answer, I'll do what I did today - estimate to the best of my ability.

Shrylp77 -- Thanks to you as well. My biggest problem is my travel usually does not involve a rental car, which really limits the choices. Breakfast is usually easy in the hotel - fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, that sort of thing. Lunch is brought into the office by others, and I have no say in what is provided (usually it's high calorie/carb fare). Dinner is either out with a group, or on my own, whatever is close to the hotel. But... it does encourage walking to find something to eat, so that's not all bad. (Today's restaraunt was 20+ minutes away on foot.) When there is a grocery store near the hotel, that's great. Unfortunately, that's normally not the case.