Coconut and Almond Milk - lower in cals, but worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    already knew this, but what are you supposed to do if you dont have a food processor? or a vitamix? i cant make my own almond milk so until i can afford a food processor im going to continue to buy almond milk.

I'd never want to make my own. Too time consuming and I'd lose the calcium, and that is the only reason I drink any type of milk. Though the protein does often make the difference in whether I hit that goal for the day or not.
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I buy the 30 cal/cup of unsweetened almond milk in an effort to save a few calories, but my main goal is to eat healthy. I figure if I eat healthy the pounds will eventually drop as a side effect anyway. (Plus I have learned that all calories are not created equal - ie. I can not lose weight eating donuts even if I stay under goal) If almond milk isn't as healthy as I thought it was then I should really switch back to cow's milk. I guess...just trying to figure out what the smarter choice is...
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would love to use raw goat's milk, but too expensive.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are avoiding real milk unless you are lactose intolerant. Giving up the calories also gives up the protein, not worth it to me.
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    I drink almond milk all the time, I only drink cow's milk if there's no other milk in my house. I have Celiac disease, and a touch of lactose intolerance. Therefore, for me, Blue Diamond almond milk is for sure gluten free & it doesn't contain lactose, so my stomach doesn't get upset after I drink it.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I drink coconut milk. Unfortunately for me I like the taste of cow's milk, but am lactose intolerant.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond Milk all the time. Almond Breeze Unsweetened... 40 cals a cup.

I won't drink anything else.

INGREDIENTS: ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2 AND D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If I think about whats good or bad for me I probably cant eat and drink anything anymore plus what does tequila do to my body??????? I have one life and I eat and drink what I like (only on weekends). And im 1200 cal so I have count n count n count. And I love almond milk.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I love my skim milk....unfortunately for me, my skim milk no longer loves me :sad:

I now eat cereal dry. :cry: And I use either almond or coconut milk in my shake. I am NOT a fan of drinking either. I miss my milk (even taking lactaid doesn't help...it only delays the inevitable). :brokenheart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are avoiding real milk unless you are lactose intolerant. Giving up the calories also gives up the protein, not worth it to me.

Soy milk has comparable protein. I stopped drinking cow's milk decades ago. I'm not intolerant nor do I think it's unhealthy, I just hate the taste and the phlegm.
  • temu22
    temu22 Posts: 3
    Options
    I read the website you posted and now agree that we should question it and read the labels. Perhaps there is coconut milk and/or almond milk that is healthier besides making it for ourselves. But that seems like an option as well.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article but I know it's about the cartons. I make my own almond and coconut milk. It's very easy and IMO it tastes much better than the stuff in the cartons. It's also less expensive. There a lot of tutorials online about how to do it.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk does not agree with my stomach, so I really can't drink it. I love almond/coconut milk, but I use it to make refrigerator oatmeal. I really don't drink "milk" per se. I think the almond/coconut milk is tasty, and it works well in the recipe.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I started buying almond milk (after joining MFP and realizing that it's half the calories of skim) but...today I read this article which makes me question my decision. I know there are a lot of you who started drinking the same and thought that I would pass this info on. Also, the article tells you how to make your own (healthier) versions.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/

Thoughts?!

Hmmm...

Good to know, but I'm not sure how good it is to know. Which is to say, yeah, I know that there are some dangers associated with articifial vitamin A, but those studies were done on people who were receiving a substantial amount of artificial vitamin A in the form of vitamin supplements. I'm not sure that the amount one would consume in almond milk would, on its own, be a substantial risk.

Basically, I'd place it in the gray area that most foods reside in. Is it the perfect food? Probably not. Is it more dangerous than many other things that we eat...? (I'm going to GUESS probably not, but there's always room for science to prove otherwise). The truth is, almond milk is mostly flavored water.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i just had 60 calories of almond heaven. I LOVE almond milk... luvluvluvluvluvluv...