Double Standard?

Options
2»

Replies

• temu22
    temu22 Posts: 3
    Options
    I think it is a put down... totally. But then again, some people are morons... be happy you are in a relationship you enjoy... and forget the people who are lame.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think you both are over sensitive

X 1000 I take it as a compliment that they think my other half is hot!
  • adamgottlob
    adamgottlob Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's a very superficial comment. Several times I heard this they were referring to my girlfriend's appearance, while inside I was wincing. There was so much I was having issues with in the relationship, that I was moments away from leaving this girl who was supposedly "better" than I.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,677 Member
    Options
    When I'm asked my answer is "I dunno. Probably has something to do with cooking".:laugh:
    Wait why am I laughing? It's probably true.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mooookie
    mooookie Posts: 22
    Options
    I think its because guys including me always insult other guys. Its what we do.
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways really! My husband brushes it off and jokes back and says " you mean how did she end up with me" and that is the end of that!! A joke with a joke and you walk away with the hottie anyways .. They can hate on you all they want. =]
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think its because guys including me always insult other guys. Its what we do.

I also agree with this. Omgsh its constant lol...Its entertaining tho.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    It's a very superficial comment. Several times I heard this they were referring to my girlfriend's appearance, while inside I was wincing. There was so much I was having issues with in the relationship, that I was moments away from leaving this girl who was supposedly "better" than I.
    In all seriousness, don't let comments like that make you make a decision to leave someone because of what someone else thinks. That makes you just as superficial as the person making the comment if that would be your breaking point to leave. She can't help how she looks.

If there are other issues leading to possibly leaving that is different, but her appearance being "too good" based on someone else's opinion shouldn't be the only reason. It is an insensitive comment, but guys aren't the most sensitive creatures sometimes...I think it is truly meant to be a compliment to you. Just let it roll off your back.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's just a dude being a dude. I would be more weirded-out if my friend said to me…

"Wow, you both certainly are an excellent pair, both of you so attractive, especially you dude."

Not words i ever want to hear. I think you might be a tad bit over-sensitive.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think you both are over sensitive

I agree.
    By saying, "how did *you* get her?" he is basically saying "your girl is awesome, wish I could get a girl like her". Sure that sounds better, but men are lazy and that's far too many words.

This
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it, I was with my ex because I loved him and I was attracted to him. Who cares what other ppl say? I never thought i was better than him. There is more to a relationship than looks.
  • danholden4006
    danholden4006 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I say it to my brother all the time. Mostly as a compliment and a little as a jab. He got a woman that is completely out of his league. Makes me proud and jealous at the same time.
  • adamgottlob
    adamgottlob Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, don't let comments like that make you make a decision to leave someone because of what someone else thinks. That makes you just as superficial as the person making the comment if that would be your breaking point to leave. She can't help how she looks.

If there are other issues leading to possibly leaving that is different, but her appearance being "too good" based on someone else's opinion shouldn't be the only reason. It is an insensitive comment, but guys aren't the most sensitive creatures sometimes...I think it is truly meant to be a compliment to you. Just let it roll off your back.

The comments had nothing to do with me leaving the relationship. There were many other issues we had as a couple. But I hated the "how did you get her?" or "she's out of your league" comments, because I wasn't happy in the relationship.