Tips for surviving the first day...first month?

Options
How did you guys stay motivated your first day of your new diet?
Your first week?
First month?

Any tips on how to not fail??

Replies

• bryn10
    bryn10 Posts: 44
    Options
    The first week is the hardest. I would say don't tackle too many things at once. Start with one feasible thing you could give up this week. Ex. "I am going to lower my sugar intake" or "I am going to try to workout 3 times this week". And just keep building upon your goals. I've made a lot of changes in the last few years that would have been impossible if I'd tried to do them all at once. Motivation gets you started....habit is what keeps you going. I'm doing things today I wouldn't have dreamed of doing a few years ago (actually enjoying fruit and veg over fries and chocolate), but it didn't happen overnight. Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey!! :)
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Try a very simple goal to start:

Week 1: I am going to measure/weight my food and log accurately every day.
    Week 2: Ditto, and I'm going to drink more water and less sugary drinks.
    Week 3: Same, but I'll try to be active X times this week.
    Week 4: Log accurately, do a happy dance for being at this a month.

Take before photos. Get your "before" measurements. Re-taking those photos and measurements monthly has been insanely motivating for me.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If thinking too far ahead is overwhelming, take it one month, one week, or even one day at a time. "Today, I will not eat any sweets." "This week, I will go running three times." "By the end of this month, I will be able to do 20 pushups." Set SMART goals for yourself. SMART is an acronym, which stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound.

Once you've defined your goals, then come up with a game plan for *how* you're going to get there. How many calories per day do you need to eat to lose 5 pounds in a month? How will you train to run that 5k three months from now? How much protein do you need to eat so you can build enough muscle to lift 50 lbs easily? It also helps to have an accountability buddy, someone who supports your efforts and will encourage you and celebrate with you.

And finally, what is your reward for meeting that goal? If looking and feeling better are rewards in themselves for you, that's great; otherwise, come up with a way to celebrate your accomplishment. Save up to buy yourself some killer shoes to go with that dress you'll be able to wear when you reach your goal, or go enjoy a nice dinner with your family, or visit a theme park.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What others have said ..... try not to do everything at once or you risk burning out. You might try just logging for a few days. Some foods you are eating now are great ..... no changes .... other foods you are eating now might surprise you.

Cut yourself some slack ............. no one is perfect. We all screw up sometimes. The key is to KEEP going even after a bad day. Strive to do "better" than before ..... not strive to be perfect.

I added exercise very gradually. My goal was 60 minutes a week...... I figured hey, anyone can do that. Then I kept adding minutes .... it's easier when it is a planned thing ..... a regular thing. I kept track on a calendar .... a nice visual reminder.
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's never a 'failure', when you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and regain focus. It was just an 'experience' and from this, we learn. Don't be hard on yourself and be patient. We all lose at a different pace, and sometimes we even gain when the reason for this is unexplainable. Have a plan, and just jump in. Feel good. Good luck.