IIFYM explanation

Options
Hey! Im interested on this method to maintain my weight but i dont truly undrstand it so it could be helpful if someone could explain it? For dummies-like? Lol
What i understand is that i can eat a cheesecake as long as my daily sugar or fat intake doesn't goes negative on my food diary? Or am i wrong?

Replies

• tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    IIFYM.COM & YOUTUBE
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    OP: macros are fat, protein, and carbs. The objective is to hit your target with those. The MFP default is pretty low protein, so if you haven't adjusted that, you might want to.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
    Probably one of the most amazing but misunderstood concepts circulating among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts in general, is IIFYM.

What started as a phrase from a user named Erik Stevens on bodybuilding.com, quickly caught on and proceeded to cause an uproar of internet stupidity everywhere.

IIFYM stands for "If It Fits Your Macros" and it was originally phrased on the bb.com forums as a fast way to respond to the overwhelming number of questions about whether or not someone could eat a particular food item without having to worry about getting fat, or not gaining muscle, or (insert other negative effect).

Example: "Hey can I eat fruit on a cut?" "Hey is it okay for me to have oatmeal?" "Hey I had a cookie but I still stayed at my calorie and macro goals, is that okay or will that hurt my progress?"

IIFYM literally means to hit your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day choosing foods that you enjoy eating. The concept is completely bastardized because idiots across the internet continually come up with scenarios that don't exist in real life, to try and blow a hole in the idea that IIFYM is a sound practice.

Example: "You're telling me you can just eat straight table sugar for your carbs, and drink olive oil for your fat, and use whey protein and you'll have a good physique?". "Hey have fun eating pizza and donuts all day". "Brb just eating cake, IIFYM".

Good luck with that. (You'll note that you typically can't hit your macros eating chips and donuts all day and if you CAN, your macros are probably horsesh*t to begin with and you've then got bigger problems).

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day .

It's a flexible approach, and it works.

Layne Norton on IIFYM:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfaYy2m-iQ

See here for an example of how it could be done: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Adini has you covered
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Adini has you covered

yup...
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
    Probably one of the most amazing but misunderstood concepts circulating among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts in general, is IIFYM.

What started as a phrase from a user named Erik Stevens on bodybuilding.com, quickly caught on and proceeded to cause an uproar of internet stupidity everywhere.

IIFYM stands for "If It Fits Your Macros" and it was originally phrased on the bb.com forums as a fast way to respond to the overwhelming number of questions about whether or not someone could eat a particular food item without having to worry about getting fat, or not gaining muscle, or (insert other negative effect).

Example: "Hey can I eat fruit on a cut?" "Hey is it okay for me to have oatmeal?" "Hey I had a cookie but I still stayed at my calorie and macro goals, is that okay or will that hurt my progress?"

IIFYM literally means to hit your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day choosing foods that you enjoy eating. The concept is completely bastardized because idiots across the internet continually come up with scenarios that don't exist in real life, to try and blow a hole in the idea that IIFYM is a sound practice.

Example: "You're telling me you can just eat straight table sugar for your carbs, and drink olive oil for your fat, and use whey protein and you'll have a good physique?". "Hey have fun eating pizza and donuts all day". "Brb just eating cake, IIFYM".

Good luck with that. (You'll note that you typically can't hit your macros eating chips and donuts all day and if you CAN, your macros are probably horsesh*t to begin with and you've then got bigger problems).

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day .

It's a flexible approach, and it works.

Layne Norton on IIFYM:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfaYy2m-iQ

See here for an example of how it could be done: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity

Thanks for posting this!
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Adini hit it spot on!
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It takes good planning and forethought to hit your macros period.. and then to have enough calories left over to have treats after making sure you hit your macros takes more. I think it is freaking brilliant. I am fully in charge of whether I get ice cream or not based on how I managed the rest of my day.
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks!