4 Mos and minimal weight loss.

Options
2»

Replies

• tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When did you start, it says 4 months ago but there not many diary entry's?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are losing inches, you're doing it right.

^^^ This. IMO go by the looks in the mirror and how you feel over the # on a scale or on the tag of clothing.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I recently read about a study in, if memory serves, the Czech Republic. It concluded that the participants whose calories were divided between 2 meals per day lost more weight than participants who received the same number of calories, even the same food, divided over multiple small meals per day.

If you haven't, you might try that. I started my experiment today.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've lost a mere 13 pounds since I started MFP almost a year ago, however, my body has changed a lot. I'd say 90% of the changes have occurred in the last 4-5 months when I've lost no pounds at all. Thanks to weight lifting my body is looking very different and I have to buy new clothes.

From this: (that's me in the white shirt)
    44763_1524240699559_5521590_n.jpg

To this:

27445807_1600.jpg
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have been on a liquid diet of juices and some solids like fruits for five days. After a jog for about 45 minutes I have lost 3.5 pounds!

Uuuuummmmmm NOT!!!!! :noway:

OP: Looking at your diary, well.....where's your food, not a whole lot of entries!! :ohwell:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are losing inches, you're doing it right.

This. Unless you're planning to tattoo your weight to your forehead who cares what the scale says if your body is getting smaller?!
  • begotus
    begotus Posts: 1
    Options
    You have a very simple problem with a remarkably simple solution. Your goal, it sounds like, is to reduce your percent body fat. Fat cells are strongly regulated by your insulin level. When your insulin is low, this signals your fats cells to break down and release fat for use as energy. When your insulin is high, this tells your body to store fat for future use. The primary driver of your insulin level is the amount of net carbs that you eat. (Net carbs are all carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols.) This is well known and well established science. However, a low carb diet requires you eat under 50 g of carbs. To do this, you must embrace and eat fat, otherwise you won't get any energy. I know this sounds opposite to much of what you may have learned, but give it 2 weeks and you'll easily drop 5-10 lbs in water weight alone.

Keep in mind that this is a lifestyle change, not a fad diet. Some diets work for some people, a low carb diet is natural (see Atkins or Paleo as examples) and works for every one.

Some great resources are "Low Carbohydrate Living" and "Low Carbohydrate Performance", both by Phinney and Volek. See the movie "Fat Head" for some fun commentary and read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" for some real science on the subject.
  • nikidirocco81
    nikidirocco81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost a mere 13 pounds since I started MFP almost a year ago, however, my body has changed a lot. I'd say 90% of the changes have occurred in the last 4-5 months when I've lost no pounds at all. Thanks to weight lifting my body is looking very different and I have to buy new clothes.

Whoa. That's amazing! And it makes me feel a lot better. Thank you so much for sharing those pics.
  • nikidirocco81
    Options
    OP: Looking at your diary, well.....where's your food, not a whole lot of entries!! :ohwell:

From June 24 on, I have quite a few entries. I go on and off with having time to input the foods. I'm a volunteer leader, and dealing with spouses of deployed soldiers can take up quite a bit of time! haha

I'm trying to keep at the logging. It's just been something to get used to.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You have a very simple problem with a remarkably simple solution. Your goal, it sounds like, is to reduce your percent body fat. Fat cells are strongly regulated by your insulin level. When your insulin is low, this signals your fats cells to break down and release fat for use as energy. When your insulin is high, this tells your body to store fat for future use. The primary driver of your insulin level is the amount of net carbs that you eat. (Net carbs are all carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols.) This is well known and well established science. However, a low carb diet requires you eat under 50 g of carbs. To do this, you must embrace and eat fat, otherwise you won't get any energy. I know this sounds opposite to much of what you may have learned, but give it 2 weeks and you'll easily drop 5-10 lbs in water weight alone.

Keep in mind that this is a lifestyle change, not a fad diet. Some diets work for some people, a low carb diet is natural (see Atkins or Paleo as examples) and works for every one.

Some great resources are "Low Carbohydrate Living" and "Low Carbohydrate Performance", both by Phinney and Volek. See the movie "Fat Head" for some fun commentary and read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" for some real science on the subject.

I have tried Atkins before, and felt like I was starving most of the day. Since I've switched gears and just replaced many of my sweets and salty snacks with healthier choices, and swapped out the large plate for a smaller plate, I've gone down 12 pounds, and lost a good 8 inches off of my frame.

I think low-carb eating can be great for many, eating once a day works for some, eating multiple small meals during the day may work (as it does for me). There's no one form for everyone, but to all who work hard and stick with what works for them - that's what is key.

And to OP - losing inches was where I started too. The scale changed very little, but my clothes became baggier. Only recently have I started to see the pounds start to come off. The past 2 weeks alone I've dropped 4 pounds. Good luck on your journey!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options

From June 24 on, I have quite a few entries. I go on and off with having time to input the foods. I'm a volunteer leader, and dealing with spouses of deployed soldiers can take up quite a bit of time! haha

I'm trying to keep at the logging. It's just been something to get used to.

Do you have the mobile app version? It helps me a lot in my logging abilities.
  • nikidirocco81
    Options
    Do you have the mobile app version? It helps me a lot in my logging abilities.

Yup, I have it on my phone and iPad. I still lack the ability to stay focused long enough to keep it up. Darn ADD.

I've also tried Atkins. I really had great success, but when I started working out harder, My Dr. advised me to intake more carbs, so I started the calorie counting.

My husband keeps telling me that It's good I'm losing inches, and the weight will eventually start falling off. Sometimes, though, you need a 2nd (3rd and 4th...) opinion to reaffirm what someone is telling you. Thank you all for your help! I've finally gotten some answers that weren't so vague, you guys rock!
  • renroc57
    renroc57 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what has happened to my weight loss lately. I recently went on a scuba diving holiday. I did 19 dives in 7 days which is much more exercise than normal. While I did eat a little less carefully than at home I did not stray too far from sensible eating. Each of these dives was within a few minutes either side of 60mins. On average we did 3 dives a day.
    When I got home I was 1kg heavier than when I left. Now 2 weeks later I am 2 kg heavier than when I left. Since I have been home I have been back into routine with food.

I can't understand what has happened to cause this gain. Yes I know I probably underestimated food intake while on holidays but not by enough to counter the huge calorie burns diving 3 hours a day should have created.

I scuba dive and I don't think I burn many calories doing it. Do you swim really fast? Usually I'm just moving along slowly so I can take a look at fish, coral, etc. I probably wouldn't even log it as exercise myself.

I am using the exercise option in MFP to enter scuba calories burnt. It is a fair amount for 60minutes. But even not considering the calories burnt I was doing heaps more exercise than normal and not eating much more and was surprised that it didn't make a difference.
    Have you entered your dives as exercise and seen how many calories it uses?
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what has happened to my weight loss lately. I recently went on a scuba diving holiday. I did 19 dives in 7 days which is much more exercise than normal. While I did eat a little less carefully than at home I did not stray too far from sensible eating. Each of these dives was within a few minutes either side of 60mins. On average we did 3 dives a day.
    When I got home I was 1kg heavier than when I left. Now 2 weeks later I am 2 kg heavier than when I left. Since I have been home I have been back into routine with food.

I can't understand what has happened to cause this gain. Yes I know I probably underestimated food intake while on holidays but not by enough to counter the huge calorie burns diving 3 hours a day should have created.

I scuba dive and I don't think I burn many calories doing it. Do you swim really fast? Usually I'm just moving along slowly so I can take a look at fish, coral, etc. I probably wouldn't even log it as exercise myself.

I am using the exercise option in MFP to enter scuba calories burnt. It is a fair amount for 60minutes. But even not considering the calories burnt I was doing heaps more exercise than normal and not eating much more and was surprised that it didn't make a difference.
    Have you entered your dives as exercise and seen how many calories it uses?

I haven't done any dives since starting but I looked at the data base and it seems really super high. I think it was 651 calories for an hour! No way am I burning that much. On fit day it says 408 for my weight, height, gender. But really, I'm just floating, moving my arms a little bit. If you're burning a lot of calories you'll go through your air faster so that's one way to gauge... Maybe you're more active. Also cold water dives will probably burn more than warm water.