Compression wear for running - yay or nay?

Options
Do you wear compression socks or sleeves for running? Do you notice a difference?

I'm curious but it's too expensive just to try out. I'd like to know what other runners think.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have compression socks that I like to wear on long runs (for me, that's over 7.5 miles) It doesn't make a huge difference, but it does feel good. I keep them on for a while after my run too.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have not tried the socks or sleeves but I suspect they may go the way of the five-finger running shoes after a while. They both seem to be sold using questionable science. I do wear compression shorts to prevent chafing and to keep everything secured down there. It does nothing for blood flow. Probably TMI... :laugh:

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/07/compression-socks.html
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have compression socks that I really like. I only real wear them if my calves are feeling particularly tight, but I think they help. I know a lot of people will wear them AFTER running a half marathon or marathon to aid in recovery.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wear either compression tights or socks for my long runs. As jhtellas pointed out the science behind them for running is a bit dodgy but they do offer significant recovery benefits. It may be the placebo effect but i do feel a little less beat up after a 20km run.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too!

I kept hearing about them and was going to buy some until I found out how expensive they are - over $40 for a pair of socks...yikes!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Leg sleeves only when I'm feeling pain in my shins...I wear compression shorts and capris all the time
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't wear them but I am told they are most effective after a run, not during (especially if you are sitting on a plane 2 hours after a marathon).
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I worked at a running store and found that people were split. Some people loved them and swore by them and others didn't see the difference. I actually was given a pair of CWX tights by our vendor (score!), but I never would have bought them. They're like $80 pants. I like the way they feel, and they strap down my butt pretty nice, but I can't physically tell the difference during or after runs with those compared to my looser Asics shorts (that were $20).

I have Zensah leg sleeves that I like to wear after long runs, just to bed or around the house, but I don't think they do much. They just feel nice and they're bright pink so I feel cool and 80s. haha. Those were free too or else I wouldn't have them. I'm a cheapskate.

Edit: FYI, I've done runs from 3 miles to 15 miles in both pairs of shorts and don't see a difference even then. I know some people mentioned distance so I thought I'd add this.
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't care for my compression socks while I run but have found them to be amazing after a long run. Instant relief!! I wear them to bed after long runs & don't get as sore as I would if I didn't wear them.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have them for recovery after long runs, but don't like them while running (they make my calves too hot). Plus as other have pointed out, there's not a lot of evidence to support their use during.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I really did not like the way they were sold at first -- with claims that it was going to significantly improve your venous return and give your legs X amount more energy, which would translate into a minute a mile faster!. Or, something that dramatic.
    I didn't trust it.
    I have tried them though. I developed a Morton's neuroma when wearing the socks. My wife did also.
    I am pretty sure there was a connection.