Are You Being Watched...By Strangers?

Options
No matter where you go, you are being watched. Sometimes, it is just a casual glance; other times, a person might actually follow you with their eyes. That can be creepy and make you wonder, "What are you looking at?"..."What are you thinking about me?"..."Are you judging me?"..."Do you think that I am fat, lazy or just plain ugly?"

In the past, I would imagine what these looks meant. I assumed that I was being judged for my appearance, my size or something negative. I just knew that behind those looks were words like, "That is one fat lady!"...""She must never stop eating." When I finally ended up in a wheelchair, because my knees could not longer support my weight, the looks spoke new words like, "So fat that she can't even walk anymore."..."Two guesses why you are in the wheelchair, Fatso." Yes, I knew what those looks were all about.

I have lost 62 pounds in the past 8 months, and I still get those looks. They make me uncomfortable, and I still can't help but imagine what words go along with those looks...but NOT TODAY.

I had been swimming my laps in the pool. My hour had come to an end, and I was breast stroking toward the steps with the handrails that make it possible for 'people like me' to exit the pool. There was a man in the shallow end, holding onto the edge of the pool with his hands and floating his legs out in front of him. He had been there for a while. I assumed that he had been watching me; and now, he was only a couple feet away and looking right at me. I rather hoped that he would just get his legs out of my away, and not say anything. No such luck. :angry:

He stood up to let me pass; but only allowed me to reach the steps and the handrail, before he spoke. "How long were you swimming today?" I turned to look at him. There was no smile of greeting, just a serious face and a serious question.

My first thought was, "What are you...the pool police? Is there a time limit on using the pool now?" I censored my immediate thoughts and carefully considered my response, because I didn't want to start something with my hubbie nearby. Ed would end up trying to defend me, if I got into an argument with this nosy man. So, I just gave a quick answer, "One hour."

That's when the man turned on the biggest smile. "Aren't you the lady who was struggling to swim 20 laps last month?" When I said yes, the now beaming man said, "I knew you could do it! You were so determined. Now, look at you. You don't even count laps anymore. You just swim for the whole hour."

What a surprise. Now, I could proudly tell my 'new admirer' that I had swam for 90 minutes on Saturday. I was so pleased, when I got out of the pool and into my wheelchair. That man had been WATCHING ME. He had been cheering me on. :happy:

As Ed was wheeling my chair toward the pool gate, a lady stopped us. She smiled at me and said, "I don't know how you do it. I could never swim that long. You have so much...Ahh...so much..." She was struggling for the word that she wanted. I wanted to insert 'determination', after what the man had said. Then, the woman found the word that she wanted, "Ahh...STAMINA. You're amazing. I just don't know how you do it."

Yep. Today, there were people watching me...strangers who are now my new friends. They weren't thinking that I was FAT or LAZY or PROBABLY EAT LIKE A PIG...or any of those other words that I would have imagined in their minds. They were watching me with admiration for what I was doing today. Yes. They were judging me, and they decided that I was a WINNER.

Maybe, I need to stop putting bad thoughts into other people unspoken looks. Some folks might actually be admirers and future friends. :wink:

Replies

• 61keys
    61keys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! That made me tear up. Hooray for your new admirers, and God bless you for your determination. You are a winner in more ways then one.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That's a great story! Great lessons for all of us.

There is this trainer at the gym who I catch looking at me all the time. One time I was on the seated row machine (a weight machine, not the aerobic rower) and he was openly staring at me- while training someone else. Other times I've caught him staring when I'm on the elliptical or just on the other weight machines in general. My first instinct is to be like, "What??!! What are you staring at??!?" LOL
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oh YAY!!! This made me cry!!! You go, girl!!! :-)
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good in the world to go along with all the bad you hear on the news. I often look at women that remind me of my mother. SHe has passed and I miss her and it is nice to see someone who reminds me of her as you do. :)
  • KiwiJewels
    KiwiJewels Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For myself, if I see someone of a slightly larger size, out there doing something (like walking or whatever) I think "Awesome! Go you!". Doesn't matter what size they are - they are trying and that's what counts :-)

And if I see someone around that is morbidly obese, I don't judge, I grieve... deeply. I know how hard it is to lose weight, but I also know what is in store for them if they don't, and my first thought is that I wish I could do something to help :-(

I'm loving that you are doing something (and doing it well!), I love your posts, and I'm totally one of the ones cheering you on from all the way over here in New Zealand! :-)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I think that's the first wall of text I've been happy to fully read. Great story!
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    So great that you found these were looks of admiration for your efforts! Yes, many of us on this site have spent years dreading the looks/judgments of others for our weight. It's not something we normally talk about because it is so painful. Kudos to you for daring to speak about it.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I hope so
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~smiling after reading this.~

Thank you for sharing with us.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    what a positive and motivating post! thank you so much!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I hope so.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I hope so

I always leave my window curtains open just an inch or so...
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm loving that you are doing something (and doing it well!), I love your posts, and I'm totally one of the ones cheering you on from all the way over here in New Zealand! :-)

That is the great thing about MFP. We are a big family of people, cheering each other on.
  • heathcliffx
    Options
    A winner you are!
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great story and a wonderful reminder to BE KIND AND COMPLIMENTARY...it can be easy to forget how powerful our words are!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Not only might they be admiring you, but some of those strangers may be watching you and getting inspired to tackle their own personal challenges - WTG! You just never know what is going on in people's heads, so better to never assume :-)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm on the other side, I see people at the gym and want to tell them, they can do it too, or that they are doing great. I remember thinking people were looking at me like "get out of here, the gym is for those that are serious, go eat another sandwich". Now I wonder, am I doing the oposite by wanting to help everyone?
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL STORY!

You made me get all teary-eyed. I love reading your posts; you're a very inspirational person. Keep at it, and remember this guy.... I'm sure you have many other silent cheerleaders out there (you sure do here)!

:flowerforyou:
  • cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What a great day for you. Those words can only inspire not just you but the rest of us as well.

Congrats.