How does anyone deal with shorts and swimwear?

Options
I'm desperately trying to find something vaguely holiday-like that doesn't have me in tears in the dressing rooms (not literally but feel like it!)

Shorts and swimwear (and I'm already talking skirted, sleeved swimwear, not the skimpy stuff!) just show so much pasty, gross wobble. I can't deal with it.

But I don't really want to spend my entire holiday in long skirts. I can't anyway, I'll be doing a lot of jungle trekking and climbing, I HAVE to find shorts.. Eeek, hate my body so much.

Any trips on flattering styles etc?

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Bermuda shorts are long.

For hiking I like long sleeves thin and light colored shirts. I don't like it sometimes when the sun beats down on my arms too long. my arms are dark and the sun feels really hot on them sometimes so I like thin loose sleeves sometimes. sometimes I'll take it like as an overshirt in case my tank or something isn't protecting if I have to be in direct sun.

swimwear just a modest style that covers a lot. actually i noticed some long sleeve "rash guard" styles lately that I thought of getting just cause they are cute and limit sun exposure since my shoulders sometimes hurt after a long day out.

those are some ideas.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh, lord, girl. I thought like you when I was as young and cute as you are too. I wish I had appreciated myself then. but I know we seldom see ourselves objectively and that's just how it is.
    So look for some lightweight capris length pants. Just below the knee. A tie or an edge trim is flattering because it draws the eye down. You'll be comfortable and hopefully feel as cute as you are!
  • granitendirt
    Options
    Speaking from experience... I think from the age of 12 - 18, I hated my body so much that I would not be seen in shorts. Then, one day, I just bought some, put them on, and went outside. The feeling of comfort and freedom of movement was so much greater than my sense of embarrassment and self-consciousness. Maybe once you're out on your trip having fun, you won't mind as much because you'll be feeling so good.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    MyChocolate - thank you, I am looking at Board shorts on ebay now - sometimes though I think that when something sits on the knee like that it makes the calves look even fatter somehow. But probably better than the thigh on show. Arghhh, I think I'm overthinking thise.

Magdaloonie - thank you for your kind words. I don't think I'm either cute or especially young but it's sweet of you to say so.

granitedirt - yes, I really hope I'll get over myself and get on with enjoying the trip.
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    This website has the most flattering swimwear! I bought a suit here, and keep getting tons of compliments on how nice it looks.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    blair.com usually has seersucker capris - very comfortable, cool, and inexpensive. Some have drawstring waists, some are just elastic.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Reebok has some very nice swimsuits. They cover well, have nice control without making it feel like you are trapped in a corset. I bought one that zips up the front for easy in/easy out.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Cargo shorts go almost to the knees and have a hiking sort of look to them.
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    Thank you for all the recommendations, I'll do some shopping around
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    one thing you might consider if part of the problem is looking pasty, is some spray tan, or even a couple of sessions at a tanning salon if you aren't opposed to that kind of thing. Not long, just a couple of 15 minute sessions i think is the beginning time, not sure... I don't mean necessarily get "tan" but being less pale might make you feel a little better.

No one is going to be looking at you and thinking omg eeeew pasty wobbly thighs, the horror!!!!! So you need to try to get to a place where you don't focus on that either. Jungle trekking and climbing sounds AWESOME, don't let your fear or embarrassment about your body take away from your enjoyment.

Also, having just read your profile, you don't have to be "really thin" to be beautiful. Is your profile pic you currently? you are very pretty and I bet a whole lot less pastier and wobblier than I am lol. If I can dare to wear an above-the-knee skirt like I have on now, you can too!
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    elyelyse - I have been considering a spray tan but I'm a bit nervous of going orange or it going wrong. Maybe I'll brave it though, I definitely agree than a tan helps you feel slimmer. And yes, you're totally right about the trip and my attitude - totally self absorbed that's my problem! :p

That picture is 2 years old but I haven't changed I don't think. Thank you for saying nice things. I've considered myself fat and ugly my whole life so I really need to work on changing my perception and accepting myself as I am.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well, I find Bermuda shorts cover up my cellulite. But so does a good tan! It's much harder to see when it's dark.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    A) Bermuda or cargo shorts are long, and everyone looks good in running shorts.
    B) Black or dark swimsuits are usually the most slimming. Tankinis are my favorite style; they're very comfortable and they don't look too bad, either. :-)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You can look up information on what styles look better on what body types. For instance, for someone like me (endomorph/hourglass), I look best in high-wasted shorts (at natural waist) and swimsuits with shirring. I bought some, put them on, enjoy the fit and comfort, and don't waste time evaluating myself in the mirror. I'd never leave the house if I did that!

I saw women on the beach in Cancun whose rolls practically covered their bikinis. Not for me, but I have to admire their confidence.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am as white as Caspar the ghost & my calves are MASSIVE, always have been so I never show off my legs.
    I hope you find something suitable :smile:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If that is you in the picture, you have a dysmorphic problem. if not, wear capris . Do your arms flap from excess skin? If not get real and wear short sleeves or sleeveless. If they do 3/4 length will help conceal. Swimsuits? There is a myriad of styles to accentuate your positive and cover your negative. Wear biking shorts till you get in the water.
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    a tankini top, and board short bottoms are super cute. Target has some cute ones on clearance.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    If you want a bikini body, put a bikini on your body! If you aren't comfortable in a bikini, men's swim trunks look really cute with a tank top. Oh, and google modest swimwear. There are tons of options if you have time to wait for it to be shipped to you :) Have fun!
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    MyChocolate - thank you, I am looking at Board shorts on ebay now - sometimes though I think that when something sits on the knee like that it makes the calves look even fatter somehow. But probably better than the thigh on show. Arghhh, I think I'm overthinking thise.

Magdaloonie - thank you for your kind words. I don't think I'm either cute or especially young but it's sweet of you to say so.

granitedirt - yes, I really hope I'll get over myself and get on with enjoying the trip.

People with no self respect make me sad.

Honestly if you are as thin and young as you are and have to fish for complements and deprecate yourself, then nothing you buy will make you feel at all better.

Just sayin.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I saw women on the beach in Cancun whose rolls practically covered their bikinis. Not for me, but I have to admire their confidence.

Love it!

Confidence is very sexy! Sometimes you just have to fake it 'til you make it!