Body revolution vs insanity vs p90x

Options
Im looking to buy a dvd workout programme but with them costing quite a bit i can only afford one at the moment! Im quite overweight and very unfit and wonder if people could recommend a dvd workout programme, I'm currently looking at jillian Michael's body revolution and insanity! Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Body Revolution but I'm currently doing insanity. I will say, I do think there needs to be a fair bit of fitness before starting insanity. Yes, you can modify moves, but at least to me, when you have to modify most everything and take tons of extra breaks you are not really doing the program anymore. 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 are also really tough and great workouts but a bit less intense than insanity - way cheaper too.
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything about Body Revolution.

The orignal Power 90/P90 (prior to P90X) is also a good program to look into. It's not as intense but is a good workout. It's a little dated I will admit that as far as the overall feel of it but I enjoyed it.

I'm starting the Spartacus DVD's tonight. For $28 I thought it was worth a try.

I know a lot of people that have done Insanity. I haven't heard any complaints other than it being very hard. I plan to start it when a friend finishes so I can borrow it.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I am a big girl and am current on Insanity.. I love it.. to feel your progress is an awesome thing.. I have done a few at home workout and so far Insanity is my favorite.. If you are interested in any beachbody product, message me I can help you get an extra bonus DVD with most orders at no extra charge.
  • thecllaw
    thecllaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Myself and my partner have tried Insanity & were now doing Body Revolution. I would definitely recommend the Body Revolution if your a beginner to exercise, it's a lot easier and Insantiy would be a good move after you've finished. Our week 1 is over tomorrow and we've both had a sneaky weight in and lost 9lb & 7lb so far.
    Hope this helps.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if it was this forum or another.
    Buy these three Jillian DVDs and create your own 90 day program.
    One lady said a lot of the moves in JMBR are found in the three DVDs listed.
    Much cheaper than JMBR.
    I guess if you get really creative, you could make an 8 week or 60 day program using the three DVDs listed.

30 DAY SHRED
    NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM

There is also a 30 day program using the three DVDs.
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Slimdown Workout Schedule:

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 14 - OFF!
    DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
    DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
    DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 26 - OFF!
    DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
    DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
    DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
  • 1luckygal
    1luckygal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if it was this forum or another.
    Buy these three Jillian DVDs and create your own 90 day program.
    One lady said a lot of the moves in JMBR are found in the three DVDs listed.
    Much cheaper than JMBR.
    I guess if you get really creative, you could make an 8 week or 60 day program using the three DVDs listed.

30 DAY SHRED
    NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM

There is also a 30 day program using the three DVDs.
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Slimdown Workout Schedule:

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 14 - OFF!
    DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
    DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
    DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 26 - OFF!
    DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
    DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
    DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES

This is great - thanks!
  • rachelisrued
    rachelisrued Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done body revolution (half of the program) and i'm currently in progress with insanity. I will say that Jillian Michael's body revolution is tough and a great workout, but it's no where near the insanity of insanity. I think it would be a great idea for you to start with Jillian Michael and then eventually once you drop some pounds and are in better shape for cardio, buy insanity and do that.

This is what i did. I think you would probably go through one exercise video of insanity and get discouraged that you couldn't complete it, then would regret the purchase.

Jillian Michael's body revolution is where i would start if i were you! Like i said, it's a great workout, but you have to be in decent cardio shape to be able to do insanity.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I would say before you spend a large sum of money on any of these programs look into You Tube. There are other Jillian DVD's on there for free. So it would kind of be like a test run. She is not for everyone and I find her a bit annoying. I'm pretty sure you can find 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 on there. As for Insanity, I finished a little over a week ago and I had good results BUT it is very strenuous!!! I have P90X but haven't started it yet. I plan on tackling that this winter when I have Indoors time.

Remember, you will only get out what you put into any home workout. If you half *kitten* it, you will get half *kitten* results.
  • Piggy148
    Piggy148 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love P90x! I tried Insanity prior to P90x and only made it through the 1st month. I also find the Billy Blanks workouts to be helpful!
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Body Revolution starting this weekend. I think it's not easy, but starts off easier from what some reviews say. She usually has modifications also.
    I like that the DVD's are 30 minutes and never repeat. When I looked at Power 90, a beginner version of Px90, it seemed to repeat the same exercises over and over. I get bored too quickly. ; )

I have done 30 DS and other Jillian DVD's along with some other aerobic/circuit DVD's. You don't need fancy equipment with hers, just weights. I liked that too.

Just my opinion, there are many comparisons online.
  • KaraKoelbel
    KaraKoelbel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old and had 50lbs to loose. I was totally out of shape. My son is a fitness guru and gave me insantity. I tried it and though I was going to pass out after about 5 minutes. I agree with the earlier response, Insantity seems like a good program but you have to be in shape when you start. I actually started by doing the firm express. They are twenty minute workouts with challenging bursts. I can do anything for 20 minutes. They are a little hard to follow and although you are only supposed to do them three times a week I did them 6 times a week. By the second week I wanted more of a challenge so I supplemented with some of Jillian Michaels older videos. I agree with the previous responder, she can be annoying but her work outs are great. I am now on my fourth week of body revolution. It is challenging but doable. I have lost 13 lbs which is slower than most of the people I see post but I figure I am loosing, not gaining and I am getting in shape. My goal is to finish her and start insanity and get down to my goal weight by Christmas. It took me several years to get this way so...I am not going to loose it overnight. Also my son did give me P90X which was doable but longer workouts and requires equiptment I just don't have. Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • ironjenn
    ironjenn Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump!
  • debraran1
    Options
    I am 50 years old and had 50lbs to loose. I was totally out of shape. My son is a fitness guru and gave me insantity. I tried it and though I was going to pass out after about 5 minutes. I agree with the earlier response, Insantity seems like a good program but you have to be in shape when you start. I actually started by doing the firm express. They are twenty minute workouts with challenging bursts. I can do anything for 20 minutes. They are a little hard to follow and although you are only supposed to do them three times a week I did them 6 times a week. By the second week I wanted more of a challenge so I supplemented with some of Jillian Michaels older videos. I agree with the previous responder, she can be annoying but her work outs are great. I am now on my fourth week of body revolution. It is challenging but doable. I have lost 13 lbs which is slower than most of the people I see post but I figure I am loosing, not gaining and I am getting in shape. My goal is to finish her and start insanity and get down to my goal weight by Christmas. It took me several years to get this way so...I am not going to loose it overnight. Also my son did give me P90X which was doable but longer workouts and requires equiptment I just don't have. Hope that helps. Good luck.
    That's a good amount of weight, you tend to keep off the somewhat slower weight loss better. My doctor sees so many fad diet loss and then gains over and over...she said keep doing the exercise, watch the calories and be patient.
    I think I will like the DVD set...can't wait until Thursday when it arrives hopefully.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Cathe Friedrich DVDs. Do a search here to find out more. You can also download her workouts (for a fee) and use software to create your own routines.
  • debraran1
    Options
    I tried Cathe myself, some were just too high impact and frantic for me but I know she has a big following...Kelly Coffey Meyer, have some of hers. I have a Jessica Smith DVD that has a power walk that is 30 minutes of cardio intervals which I like but others of hers I just didn't click with.
    I think it's nice though that you can "click" with someone and have good results with them...it wont be the same for everyone but that is what is nice, we all have different personalities, goals, quirks. It's finding what will work for you at the moment.
  • esheridan12
    Options
    I have done P90X and Insanity. Both are tough and work. I have done Ripped in 30 also. If you are just beginning fitness, start with Jillian then move to the other two. Cathe Friedrich also has some good stuff - I like her more recent stuff.